Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Brass &Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Is it legal to ship brass and bullets for reloading to my friend in New Zealand? From the USA

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont believe so. Just sold a rifle and dies with 60 rounds of brass to a friend of mine in Australia and everything had to be listed on the export form.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
no issues here in NZ with shipping - as long as the brass does not hold primers currently.

I expect the problems will be with your own Governments ridiculous shipping restrictions

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Spot on.

Easiest to get Reloading International to do everything. Very reasonable cost and no legal worries.

Some suppliers will not ship scopes or range finders and some reloading equipment.

A qualified gunsmith can ship stuff below $250 value. Wayne from AHR sent me foresight & rear sights that Brownells would not ship.

BTW Hogbreath - NZ is a different country from Australia Wink. We speak different too.

quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
no issues here in NZ with shipping - as long as the brass does not hold primers currently.

I expect the problems will be with your own Governments ridiculous shipping restrictions

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
BTW Hogbreath - NZ is a different country from Australia Wink. We speak different too.

[QUOTE]

Main difference between these two species is that one mates with sheep, and the other mate with kangaroos rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

[QUOTE]

Main difference between these two species is that one mates with sheep, and the other mate with kangaroos rotflmo

I think there is a bit of a rugby rivalry as well...just sayin'

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed

The Aussies will be more compatible with you. They have lots of camels too! sofa Big Grin

quote:

[QUOTE]

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There used to be great rivalry & epic games about 15 years ago when John Eals, George Gregan & Steven Larkin were at their peak for the Aussies.

For the last 7+ years a NZ 2nd XI would beat the Wallabies.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

[QUOTE]

I think there is a bit of a rugby rivalry as well...just sayin'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that to make 'em hold still long enough??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Whats the difference between the Wallabies and the Sydney Harbour bridge ?

Not everyone has walked over the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Read it somewhere....

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know why there are so many Kiwi's living in Australia?....
They thought the Canning Stock Route was an annual event.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Profound words from ex NZ Prime Minister when asked if he was concerned about the number of Kiwis moving to Australia.
“ Absolutely not, it raises the IQ of both countries “

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeman:
Profound words from ex NZ Prime Minister when asked if he was concerned about the number of Kiwis moving to Australia.
“ Absolutely not, it raises the IQ of both countries “

.....and don't forget to turn the lights out.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was funny.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Canada it is legal to import from the USA, brass and bullets and gun parts including barrels without any fuss.
It is illegal to export the above components from The USA.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Don't you wish that you knew someone who travels to New Zealand regularly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you wish that you knew someone who travels to New Zealand regularly.

I know someone who does - great guy ! Don't use him too often though as he tends to blow my budget of coffee dollars !!

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
When I used to visit the US I brought back scope, range finder and heaps of bullets. Not sure if it is that easy anymore.

On the other hand, Reloading International are exceptional now. So easy to deal with and very reasonable. I think they charge an extra 10% for the export documentation etc. They were even willing to combine stuff from another source to make it one package!

I wish I could get Woodleigh bullets from Australia more easily.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I will be coming back from the US in about November....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find it ridiculously difficult to obtain Woodleigh bullets ( .375 cal ) in NZ. I don't know if the source of the problem is with Aussie manufacture / supply to NZ, or if the NZ distributors are just slack. US shooters seems well catered for with several suppliers listing a good range of Woodleigh calibres.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Dead Eye Dick in Levin can get them but he is not cheap. $100 for a pack of 50.

NZ Ammunition from Wellington claim to be distributors by they not cheap either and will not sell retail.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:

I find it ridiculously difficult to obtain Woodleigh bullets ( .375 cal ) in NZ. I don't know if the source of the problem is with Aussie manufacture / supply to NZ, or if the NZ distributors are just slack. US shooters seems well catered for with several suppliers listing a good range of Woodleigh calibres.

The New Zealand Woodleigh agent lives Tokoaroa, what weight 375 Woodleigh are you after?

Posts: 2 | Location: Great Britain | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Dead Eye dick is also an agent.

I was looking for 9.3 cal 286 gr bullets and found Lapua Megas on close out sale @ $47 for 100! That is 30% of normal price! I immediately got 4 boxes. Should last me a few years now.

quote:
Originally posted by EMPIRESAFARIS:
quote:
quote:

The New Zealand Woodleigh agent lives Tokoaroa, what weight 375 Woodleigh are you after?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yes - thanks for the tip on the Lapua bullets Naki - have two hundred of them on my shelf now as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, Kim Munden at Tokoroa Locksmiths is an agent. I bought bullets from him before. On one occasion I was lucky as what I wanted just happened to be on the shelf. Later I was looking for 235 gn and more 300 and 350 gn, but no stock. Was asked by Kim to email my order, which I did, and they would add to the next shipment. Weeks passed and I heard nothing so I called Kim for an update. Got some BS story that Woodleigh forgot to put my order with the shipment but was assured that after Woodleigh was "reprimanded" for forgetting they were sending a special shipment of my order, and it would arrive very soon. Yeah, right ! I never heard any more and by then had given up following up. The service was pretty slack right from my first contact with Kim. Several times I left messages and it was always me who had to make contact for updates. They wouldn't call or email back. Apart from being a DR collector I don't know why he is a distributor as he seems to have no interest in my experience.

Last couple of times I enquired at Deadeye Dicks they didn't have any Woodleigh stock.

posted Hide Post
30.06King 300 grain Woodleigh i can help you with will have to check what other weights I have.

Posts: 2 | Location: Great Britain | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Celebrated story from New Zealand of some years ago had then Prime Minister Muldoon at Parliamentary question time on his mettle. An opposition MP asked whether it was not the case that there was a net emigration from New Zealand to Australia.
As the story goes, the PM replied that the Honorable Member had the right of it, and it raised the IQ of both countries....

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maddog, while not illegal to get them in NZ or Australia IS illegal to send them from the US. The US Dept of Commerce and I believe State have a law and regulations which require you to get a permit from them. Nearly impossible to understand. I got a "visit" from Homeland Security when I tried to send some 300 Savage brass to south Africa. and they grabbed the stuff , would return it for $200, which was less than I had in it, so declined. Was told, even though you didn't know, could get you time in prison. Since you DO know now. Don't do it again. Reloading International in Oregon can ship for you, and or get the stuff for you if overseas, as they linked in and can get the permits easily.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Caution.

I read this again and realised that it was actually Belmont from Wanganui who have the Lapua 9.3 bullet deals .

quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Dead Eye dick is also an agent.

I was looking for 9.3 cal 286 gr bullets and found Lapua Megas on close out sale @ $47 for 100! That is 30% of normal price! I immediately got 4 boxes. Should last me a few years now.

quote:
Originally posted by EMPIRESAFARIS:
quote:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
realize on my post said HLS said they'd return my stuff for $200 which was less than I had in it, should have said, More than I had in it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shipped brass and bullets to Australia with no problems at all, used USPS...I have sent two scopes this month an no problems, just stick them in a box and mail them..
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I used to do the same. It is getting a lot harder with the small print in the laws. For example a sanction law in Congress might affect the interpretation of one item. It is illegal to send a rear sight or foresight from the US to NZ & probably all other countries. Brownells, Midway etc will not. But a gunsmith has the license to send such items below $250! Just don't try to help a friend if you do not have the correct license.

Same with projectiles. Best to use Reloading international. Very quick, easy and very reasonable. If you want to buy other stuff from another supplier, just have it shipped to Reloadering International and they will put the whole lot into one shipment with all the correct paperwork.

I think the risks are too high today to do it the old way. Just not worth it for a few $.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I've shipped brass and bullets to Australia with no problems at all, used USPS...I have sent two scopes this month an no problems, just stick them in a box and mail them..
Ray