THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Scottish Red Stag with Athina Sporting

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scottish Red Stag with Athina Sporting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a few minutes to post some pictures and give a hunt report. I had a really wonderful hunt and experience in the Southwest of Scotland (The Lowlands), beautiful and challenging terrain and some really nice mountains.

Kiri, Griff (Neil Griffith, my deer stalker), and Jacob were all super and fun to be around, taking good care of us all. Our hotel / restaurant / pub was just outstanding and the owners David and his wife could not have been more accommodating. Food and drink was simply outstanding.

It was also really nice to spend 3 days with Another AZ Writer and his better half. Great people and fun to hunt with. Hope to spend more time with them in the future.

This first picture is Griff's tracking dog, Scout, a sweet little Irish Terrier who works so hard on those short little legs. A real treat to be around!!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2]Me holding Scout

Next picture is of my first Stag, a 4 year old beauty, 8 pt that Griff estimated to be 350-375 lbs. Neck shot at 182 yards with Kiri's custom .260 Rem.

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]8 Pt Stag

The next picture is of our very own "Griff" here on AR, my deer stalker for 4 days, and an overall great guy who knows his stuff. He's overlooking the same Stag above.

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=7]Griff overlooking my 8 Pointer

The last two pictures are of my last Stag taken with about 1 minute left of light on the final evening of the hunt. He was an old grey faced brut, a 9 pointer that Griff estimated to weight at least 400 lbs. This stag was really black looking, with a wide and high black rack. I feel very lucky to have taken such a majestic animal!!!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3]9 Pointer, Old Staggie

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5]Big Black Staggie

Last picture is of me and my bride, Terri, just before leaving for Scotland. We spent a couple days in Troon and Turnberry before heading down to Galloway / Dumfries for the Stag hunt. Thanks to my sweet darling for a great trip!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6]Michael & Terri

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I obviously have trouble getting the photos posted to the page. Any one have suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great pics

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Found a few minutes to post some pictures and give a hunt report. I had a really wonderful hunt and experience in the Southwest of Scotland (The Lowlands), beautiful and challenging terrain and some really nice mountains.

Kiri, Griff (Neil Griffith, my deer stalker), and Jacob were all super and fun to be around, taking good care of us all. Our hotel / restaurant / pub was just outstanding and the owners David and his wife could not have been more accommodating. Food and drink was simply outstanding.

It was also really nice t spend 3 days with Another AZ Hunter and his better half. Great people and fun to hunt with. Hope to spend more time with them in the future.

This first picture is Griff's tracking dog, Scout, a sweet little Irish Terrier who is works so hard on those short little legs. A real treat to be around!!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2]Me holding Scout

Next picture is of my first Stag, a 4 year old beauty, 8 pt that Griff estimated to be 350-375 lbs. Neck shot at 182 yards with Kiri's custom .260 Rem.

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]8 Pt Stag

The next picture is of our very own "Griff" here on AR, my deer stalker for 4 days, and an overall great guy who knows his stuff. He's overlooking the same Stag above.

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=7]Griff overlooking my 8 Pointer

The last two pictures are of my last Stag taken with about 1 minute left of light on the final evening of the hunt. He was an old grey faced brut, a 9 pointer that Griff estimated to weight at least 400 lbs. This stag was really black looking, with a wide and high black rack. I feel very lucky to have taken such a majestic animal!!!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3]9 Pointer, Old Staggie

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5]Big Black Staggie

Last picture is of me and my bride, Terri, just before leaving for Scotland. We spent a couple days in Troon and Turberry before heading down to Galloway / Dumfries for the Stag hunt. Thanks to my sweet darling for a great trip!!!

=131437349&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6]Michael & Terri

Great hunt and good photos. Congratulations.

Scotland and the Scots are great.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I'm glad you had a great time under such difficult conditions,I have never stalked in the rut in such temperatures.
Great photo's and and hopefully some lasting memories..

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I obviously have trouble getting the photos posted to the page. Any one have suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

This is how I do it, I go to Photobucket where you hosted the picture. Right mouse click on it and select "Properties" then highlight the URL, click Copy. I then come over to the Accurate reloading reply or start thread window and click on the little green picture button in the tool bar right above the text window (Third one from the left), Right click "Paste" into the box then click OK. This will put the picture into the Thread.

You can also do it manually by posting [ IMG ]URLAddress[ /IMG ] " without the spaces

Great pictures of your trip, I absolutely love Stalking in Scotland

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your kind words. It was great to spend a few days with you and Terri. We cut it to the wire but the big guy just about made an appearance!

I took the big hike on Thursday and managed to get someone on the Guy in the corner of the forestry. The real old boy didn't show up, (The stag not Griff....) but we shot a great heavy 12 Pointer in his place.

Looking forward to seeing you again,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your kind words. It was great to spend a few days with you and Terri. We cut it to the wire but the big guy just about made an appearance!

I took the big hike on Thursday and managed to get someone on the Guy in the corner of the forestry. The real old boy didn't show up, (The stag not Griff....) but we shot a great heavy 12 Pointer in his place.

K

Kiri

You have to post pictures of that big boy. I watched him for a couple hours last week. Would like to see him up close. I was looking at him from over 1000 yards.

Thanks
Michael

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hey Mike,

K

Was that the far corner past and above the rock circle? That is where Jacob and I spotted that big guy. How are was the shot? Do you have any pics?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey mate,

I think you mean the corrie? This is on the other side of the hill way above the sheep fold. We climbed to the top ridge over by the stone wall and crawled down below a boulder. The really big one we saw didn't show up but we got a really heavy royal in his place. I think you went up there on the first morning and again when the fog came in.

I have some pics which I'll post when I get them off my phone!!

We also got onto a nice ten point in the morning against the forestry front on the second knoll. I roared him out at 9 am and the client just looked at him through the scope thinking I didn't want him to take a frontal shot!!

He was kicking himself all day.

The rut hasn't really happened for us this year. We really don't know the reasons but the stags are still feeding and full of fat. They are roaring intermittently but even though it has got cold there just doesn't seem to be any traction with them. Tally today stands at 10-11 in the larder with a few missed opportunities, so overall it isn't too bad.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote