New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when this problem is over I will try to explain the whole story from start to end. Location central Wisconsin. Read all I could find on yote problems. I set up a feeding area for several weeks. yotes moved around homestead. now for the last four days very large one has been coming in to feed. his times have been 7pm, 9:40pm ,2am, 7:30pm he moves in in a circle type move. last nite being tues he did not show up. today being weds it is snowing out. is this the way they act. now its been straight for four days, now a miss. Question. I need to get as many at one time as I can. Will he bring in his buddies to the meal? should I start any red fox spraying- or yote spray? I had hoped to have a grand meal by weekend. This pack has killed everything. At nite they run right down the roads. Stand then dart into the fields. several weeks ago they ran a doe into a mini van. Shf. dept then had to put doe down. I hope to write a whole story when this ends. Looking for my next step.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First it's mating season, he might be running with a female or looking for a mate. Also might be taking time out to beat up on a neighbor coyote that is moving in on his turf. If he is with a female she may be calling the shots (married guys will back me up on this) and he might be running on her schedule not his. And yes this applies even if you don't see her.

Second, the weather will play a role in when and where they feed. High winds, cold/warm fronts and snow/rain can all effect how and when coyotes hunt.

Third, your bait sight isn't his only source of food. Maybe he pulls a deer down and eats on it off and on for a couple of weeks.

There are other factors that we can only guess at that determine predator movements. I've patterned coyotes using the same trails at the same times for over a week and then they start running a trail a quarter mile away for no apparent reason.

Are you trapping them? Are you setting up winter kill to shoot them over? Or are you calling or driving them?

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
You got to remember, that big 'ol coyote didn't get big by being stupid. I have found that they will drift in and out of areas at will. Sometimes they hangs around for a day or at times weeks.

Don't know how you plan to take them, but remember if stand hunting or calling. The old wise yotes will send the young dumb one in first. I've takes some very large, old one by waiting and shooting the long shot first and cleaning up the dumb ones.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what they make no.4 long springs for and no. 3 jumps. Traps hunt 24/7

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a up date. The yote is back. He is back eating around the 6 to 7pm. One thing I noticed its been pissing in my tracks near the food pile and now crapping in my tracks only near the eats and where I walk into the area. He makes a wide swing coming in and seems to be standing watching the area. I have a shooting tent up for several months now so I would think hes use to it. If I give him more time to relax should I then spray any red fox urine in the area now or on the day I plan on shooting? I know there are more yote around. The other day at appox 5pm in line with several cars we had to stop on the city-town line as four doe where chased down the road by several yotes. My wife later made the comment about what she said was fear on the faces of the deer. Now she says they have go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latest report was Feb.
How about the rest now.
Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
update?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
End of August now and still no update.
Wonder if this guy dropped off the board or just forgot his thread.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
considering he has only 66 post in 10 years I don't think he comes here a lot

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
maybe the yotes got him Big Grin

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote