New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master List of Favorite Actors and Actresses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The shelter in place has allowed me to enjoy many fine films on TCM and Amazon here is my favorite list of Actors. Female leads are left off for their own list.

Duke Wayne,
Humphrey Bogart,
Sir. Alec Gunnies,
Peter O’Toole,
Claude Rains,
Kirk Douglas,
William Holden,
Rock Hudson,
Robert Shaw,
Stewart Granger,
Client Eastwood,
Robert Duvall,
Gene Hackman,
Henry Fonda,
Robert Mitchum,
Richard Burton,
Sean Connery,
Al Pacino,
Robert Dinero
And
Brad Pitt. Yeah, I like his work.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten to appreciate Phillip Seymour Hoffmann, didn't realize he was in Scent of a woman till recently, then there's Matthew MacConaughey. Michael Caine, Max von Sydow , Women ? Merryl Streep.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Gary Oldman is an exceptional actor, and I mean exceptional.

I really liked Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. That was a flat-out remarkable performance. I saw it in a theater with literally 3 other people, and I wondered the whole time why the the theater wasn’t full. It picked up steam after that and won all kinds of awards. If you haven’t seen it, do it. It’s masterful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did see Capote. I agree about Hoffman. He was special. I liked him in Charlie Wilson’s War.

He won his Oscar for Capote.

I like Gary Oldman as well.

I forgot Jeffrey Rush, and Russell Crow.

Ok here are the female leads we have got to enjoy during the lockdown

Elizabeth Taylor
Maureen O’Hara
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Meryl Streep
Katherine Hepburn
Gloria Grahame
Betty Davis specially in All this and Heaven Too.
Jane Russell
Natalie Portman
Frances McDormand
Charlize Theron

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Your 1st list said it almost all. As actors, we see them in a part + judge them by that ability usually. I know that some are real axxholes in real life + we know how we feel about them taking their opinions on the deck at the Oscars. I also can't stand the double standards of ones like Alec Baldwin, Sigourney Weaver, et. al that made their money in gun action films but attack the 2nd amendment. That little rave being said I have always had the greatest respect for Paul Newman who was not only a great actor but a man of sterling character. It has always been a rarity in the Hollywood atmosphere to be true to one's wife. Oh + that applies to George Burns + Mel Brooks as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with all mentioned. Some years ago I saw Takeshi Kitano in a movie, and ended up watching everything I could find with him. Turns out he's also a director and (I think) producer. I just looked him up and he is apparently a famous comedian in Japan. Not sure I'll try to get into Japanese comedy. Anyway, Beat Takeshi (as he is also known) is on my list of favorites.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevastopol:
Agree with all mentioned. Some years ago I saw Takeshi Kitano in a movie, and ended up watching everything I could find with him. Turns out he's also a director and (I think) producer. I just looked him up and he is apparently a famous comedian in Japan. Not sure I'll try to get into Japanese comedy. Anyway, Beat Takeshi (as he is also known) is on my list of favorites.

I need slapped for leaving off Toshiro Mifune. I saw a marathon of Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood) my favorite), and Yojimbo. Yojimbo was lifted and made into A Few Dollars More which resulted in a major lawsuit.

Please forgive me for not mentioning Paul Newman. We watched The Hustler last week.

I also forgot Rex Harrison. Damn, Damn, Damn!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As to the females, I would have to add Natalie Wood, Diane Carol Baker, Debbie Reynolds, Heddy Lamar, Lauren Bacall, Rita Hayworth, and Marilyn Monroe. As to the males, Jimmy Stewart, Michael Douglas,Tom Hanks, Clark Gable, James Dean, Anthony Hopkins, Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman, Harrison Ford, Denzel Washington and Tom Cruise. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Natalie Wood.

Use Enough Gun: Each of those are great players.

We forgot George C. Scott

James Mason

Peter Sellers

Rod Steiger

Sidney Poitier

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True once more. There are so many but you're right, George C. Scott, Peter Sellers, + James Mason certainly rank right up there. I loved Gregory Peck in 12 Oclock high + Cary Grant in Arsenic + Old Lace.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wholeheartedly agree with ALL of the additions. I also liked Joaquin Phoenix alongside Russell Crowe in Gladiator and as Johnny Cash alongside Reese Witherspoon. For you Texans, one of my all time favorite movies is GIANT! starring Rock Hudson, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, Chill Wills, Dennis Hopper, Sal Mineo, Carroll Baker, Paul Fix, Earl Holliman, among others. Oh, and Chill Wills in many, many westerns was the right addition too, along with Walter Brennan. Big Grin Can we also please add Anthony Quinn(especially in Zorba the Greek), and then Omar Sharif and Julie Christie in Doctor Zhivago?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the biography "Hellraisers" about Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, + Oliver Reed. There was in the O'Toole section that he said he never watched Lawrence Of Arabia, it just would have reminded him of the night that he + Omar went into Cairo + caught the clap. Speaking of which when he 1st met Shariff he said, "You can't be named Omar, nobody is named Omar; I'll bet your name is Fred."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Omar Shariff, I recall an interview he did in the 60s when he was ostracized by the Arab communities for kissing Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl" as she was a Jewess. His reply was,(quicksave) "When I am kissing a woman I never ask her race or politics."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Damn, I'd forgotten about Oliver Reed! Another one that I enjoyed, especially in Gladiator. I believe that it was his last movie. Didn't he die while making Gladiator?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anthony Quinn.

My wife’s favorite part of Lawrence of Arabia is Omar Sharrif and Anthony Quinn going at it.

“He insulted me!”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy Irons
Mel Gibson
Danny Glover
Bruce Willis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's a few more. Tommy Lee Jones with Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove! And actresses Diane Lane and Anjelica Houston. My favorite T.V. mini series of all time. I also enjoyed Danny Glover, Ricky Schroder, Robert Urich and Chris Cooper in the series as well. Just watched the entire T.V. mini series one day last month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ewan McGregor

Johnny Depp

Val Kilmer

Sam Rockwell

Tom Hardy

Christopher Waltz

I even like Nicholas Cage

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good actors all.

maybe I missed the name..... but
How about Robert Redford for BUTCH CASSIDY and THE STING and THE WAY WE WERE, and THE SIX DAYS OF THE CONDOR... and especially JEREMIAH JOHNSON.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Flash:

You had not missed him. Thank you for adding him.

Who was the guy from Whiplash that does the commercials?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by Sevastopol:

I need slapped for leaving off Toshiro Mifune. I saw a marathon of Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood) my favorite), and Yojimbo. Yojimbo was lifted and made into A Few Dollars More which resulted in a major lawsuit.

Please forgive me for not mentioning Paul Newman. We watched The Hustler last week.

I also forgot Rex Harrison. Damn, Damn, Damn!

I knew Mifune would be mentioned after my post. Good call.
Also saw Anthony Quinn mentioned. Yeah, definitely on top of my list, too. I think the last time I saw him was in a movie where he's some sort of 'boss' and Kevin Kostner bangs his wife.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I was reading through this thread I could not help but think the Actors of the next 50 years won't hold a candle to those of the last 50 years.

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckey:
As I was reading through this thread I could not help but think the Actors of the next 50 years won't hold a candle to those of the last 50 years.

Though there may not be very many great movies or characters being created (or to our likes), there are plenty of great actors now-a-days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
USG, Yes, Oliver Reed died while making Gladiator. He had a heart attack while arm wrestling one of the local native stand in gladiators (drunk of course). It was his + Richard Harris's last movie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard Harris has a glorified cameo in a TNT film released on TNT as a mini series called Julius Ceaser.

Richard Harris plays Sulla. The opening is Sulla bursting into the Senate in full armor with his legions at his back breaking the Senate.

I think this is his last role. The role is sort but impactful and rememberable. The film aired in two installments on June 29 and June 30, 2003.

I also saw him in Orac.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did see Capote. I agree about Hoffman. He was special. I liked him in Charlie Wilson’s War.

He won his Oscar for Capote.

I like Gary Oldman as well.

I forgot Jeffrey Rush, and Russell Crow.

Ok here are the female leads we have got to enjoy during the lockdown

Elizabeth Taylor
Maureen O’Hara
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Meryl Streep
Katherine Hepburn
Gloria Grahame
Betty Davis specially in All this and Heaven Too.
Jane Russell
Natalie Portman
Frances McDormand
Charlize Theron

When I was a young boy I thought Maureen O'Hara hung the moon.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What is your favorite genre?

Comedy is my favorite genre, followed by adventure, and an adventure comedy is the best. A science fiction movie is good, war movie is good, and I love cowboy movies and adventure movies of course movies about Africa are good.

I despise drama, horror, crime-thriller, romance unless they are really funny.

I watched a romantic comedy flying back from Germany a couple years ago that was filmed in Saudi Arabia and was a romantic comedy. It was 100% subtitled and not a word of English. I thought it was funny, it could have just as easily been a movie about another culture I didn't understand.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
What is your favorite genre?

Comedy is my favorite genre, followed by adventure, and an adventure comedy is the best. A science fiction movie is good, war movie is good, and I love cowboy movies and adventure movies of course movies about Africa are good.

I despise drama, horror, crime-thriller, romance unless they are really funny.

I watched a romantic comedy flying back from Germany a couple years ago that was filmed in Saudi Arabia and was a romantic comedy. It was 100% subtitled and not a word of English. I thought it was funny, it could have just as easily been a movie about another culture I didn't understand.

I think that is a great theme for a new thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that is a great theme for a new thread.

Agreed! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make it unanimous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just posted it on the new one. This can be fun. but let us not forget Tom Selleck, he's another good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite newer actors is Chris Pine. That man, even in some utter useless film like Wonder Woman can act.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This can be fun. but let us not forget Tom Selleck, he's another good one.

Yep. Quigley Down Under. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the things I like about Quigley character played by Tom Selleck is from the dress of the character to mannerisms, he is obviously playing Duke Wayne.

I saw an interview Tom Selleck have after Quigley came out. He said playing a cowboy is hard because you got to live up to John Wayne, and no matter how good you are you know he could do it better.

I appreciated his humility. Seems like a good person. He was suppose to play Indiana Jones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom Selleck is a real gun guy. When I was in California at Butch Searcy's getting ready to pick up a double rifle, Tom called Butch about a single shot rifle that Butch was building for him. I believe that Butch has built more than one rifle for him. I met his brother at the SCI Convention years ago and they both look very similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more actor if he hasn't already been mentioned. Steve McQueen.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have zero use for Marion Morrison; he stayed in Hollywood and made movies and money while all his peers were in the Service.
Not the only one but by far, the most visible.
If you don't know who Marion Morrison is/was. Look it up.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard Harris has a glorified cameo in a TNT film released on TNT as a mini series called Julius Ceaser.

Richard Harris plays Sulla. The opening is Sulla bursting into the Senate in full armor with his legions at his back breaking the Senate.

I think this is his last role. The role is sort but impactful and rememberable. The film aired in two installments on June 29 and June 30, 2003.

I also saw him in Orac.

Not an actor but Sulla May have been one of the most polarizing historical figures ever, just ask his epitaph.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right, Tom, Marion was not in the same league as Jimmy Stewart or Clark Gable concerning their service. Also when the 69 movie "Butch Cassidy + the Sundance Kid" came out (another great one) originally the Part of Sundance played by Robert Redford was supposed to go to Steve McQueen but he didn't want it. It certainly launched Redford's star.