Find
Notify
Tools

Master List of Favorite Actors and Actresses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I scanned, but didn’t see Robert Redford.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I thought you guys liked Megan Markle?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlon Brando and George C. Scott come to mind.

Then there's Steve McQueen in Never So Few, and The Sand Pebbles.

There are many more......to be honest.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought you guys liked Megan Markle?

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then there's Steve McQueen in Never So Few, and The Sand Pebbles.

And, in The Great Escape. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, "The Great Escape" indeed! I went to the theatre in 1980 to see his new movie, "Tom Horn" + was one of the fortunate few who got in as it sold out quite quickly. When I came out of the theatre there were a few semi nasty notes under my wiper blades from friends who got there too late + couldn't see the show. One of my favorite McQueen movies was "The Getaway". That most memorable scene when the cops are cruising the streets + he goes into a gunshop + says "12 Gauge pump!" + starts dumping shells into his pockets + the clerk hands him a 4473 form + says, "Sir you'll have to fill this out." He produces a 1911 + says, "Do you know what this is? Then just wrap it up."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say Steve McQueen. I say Bullitt. Another great car chase French Connection with Gene Hackman.

The car chase scene in French Connection was done so on roads not blocked off.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever see the Bullit car chase scene in the movie "Brewster McCloud" parody?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I have not. I just finished watching Col. Blimp. We loved it.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It starred Bud Cort, who also did "Harold + Maude" both well worth watching; these were produced by the guys who did M.A.S.H the movie. These are dark comedies.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one wants to come on and defend Marion Morrison? I figured someone would take the bait and come to his defense.
(Ok, most don't know that that was John Wayne's real name. )
I didn't say I didn't like the movies he was in.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is on the top of my list that started the thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I commented on it + I knew who he was prior to his "nom de pleure". I also have loved his movies over the years but in reference to your statement concerning his war 2 service I repeat that he was in no way in the same playing field with Jimmy Stewart. That man was a true warrior + patriot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all realize that they are all white and therefore racists and all their work must be destroyed.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, wait a minute. We did include Morgan Freeman, Sidney Poitier, Danny Glover and Denzel Washington, among others. Big Grin We also had listed Omar Sherif, but not sure if he counts or not! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have mentioned that Omar Sharif caught a lot of flack from the Arab community when he kissed Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl" but his comment was, "I never ask a girl her politics when I'm kissing her." Lavaca, I have to laugh at all the stupidity going on in this fashion or cry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I suppose for the equal time we might include Step-N-Fetchit + Rochester. Let us not forget Amos + Andy + "The Kingfish" Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not liked any of the projects he has been in. However, I do like Idris Elba. His work is always good even if the material is lacking.

I do not think he should play James Bond. Given the social background of England, I have no issue creating a 21st century spy, drama around him that is not Bond.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, he was good in "The Wire". I have not seen him in The Stephen King "Gunslinger" but I deem him inappropriate for the part as I do as a James Bond. He might do well + heaven knows there are a lot of blacks in England these days but really, there is not another Sean Connery.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sophia Loren! When I was 8 or 9 I remember seeing "Houseboat" and realizing that there was something interesting about women!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sophia Loren!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 Yes she was a fox. I liked her even better when she stood up to the IRS when they wanted taxes on money earned here even though she was an Italian citizen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes to Sophia Lorn!

posted Hide Post
I did not see Gary Cooper on the list or did I miss it?

Posts: 10 | Location: yukon, ok | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do believe we missed Cooper. I just watched Farewell to Arms and Pride of the Yankees.

Good addition.

My wife and I watched Horse Soldiers last night:

Duke, Holding, Ford.

Most directors and cinematographers today would not be able to shoot a column wheel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! Not only Sgt. York but "The Trial Of Billy Mitchell".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently watched a short bio on Gary Cooper on TCM. Yes indeed, we missed not listing him for sure! tu2 I loved him in High Noon and For Whom The Bell Tolls. Big Grin And, they also recently had a special presentation on John Ford. I enjoy that part of TCM-gives me info and insights on great producers and actors/actresses. Right now I am watching "Meet John Doe" starring Gary Cooper on TCM. Also stars Edward Arnold, Walter Brennan, Barbara Stanwyck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when the silver screen truly was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Back when the silver screen truly was.

Too right!

posted Hide Post
Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine in 'Emperor of the North Pole'...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one to add to the list: Burt Lancaster. I watched a number of his movies (most of them black and white) on TCM's tribute to him last night. Bird Man of Alcatraz, From Here To Eternity, Seven Days In May. . . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do. So much ground to cover, so let's see...

Sophia Loren - Count me in. Big +1 from me!

Eddie Arnold was a country singer. The actor was Edward Arnold. He would not have taken kindly to anyone who tried "Eddie".

Omar Sharif was Egyptian, and yes, he definitely counts. Great actor, and a very entertaining guy. I saw him interviewed a couple of times, and he was a riot.

Denzel Washington??? That inflated jerk??? Another professional "Man With a Chip on His Shoulder". I can't believe they remade "The Equalizer" with him. It's a good thing Edward Woodward was already gone, or he'd have died of disgust.

Speaking of arrogant pr**ks, I can't believe anyone would celebrate that ass McQueen in "The Great Escape". He ruined that movie. Entirely aside from the fact that there were no American officers in the escape (because they were all moved to a new camp of their own before the tunnels were completed), no one walked around a Luftstalag dressed in 1960's sweatshirt and slacks. McQueen demanded that he control his wardrobe, lines, and that he got to ride a motorcycle - but he wasn't a good enough rider to perform the jumps. He kept screwing it up, so they got stunt rider Bud Ekins to stand in. The American producer insisted that they write the prima donna into the movie because he didn't think it would appeal to the domestic audience without a big American star (as if a class actor like James Garner wasn't a draw.) The world became an infinitely better place the day "Mr. Cool' left it.

Colonel Blimp was insulting. It was wartime propaganda made to justify to the public the idea of playing dirty in the new "total war". The sentiment was valid, but the movie belittled professional soldiering. On the up side, Roger Livesey was a terrific, and very much underrated, actor.

Marlon Brando, a.k.a. Mr. Mumbles - another pimple on the ass of Hollywood. Got an Oscar for stuffing his mouth with cotton wool. Ironically, it's probably the clearest diction of any role he ever played. At least we didn't have to listen to him yelling in anguish yet again. I despise "method actors".

Definite +1 for James Mason and Christoph Waltz. And very pleased to see someone included Gloria Grahame. There were so many fine character actors back in the golden age. Everyone recognizes the faces, though not many know them by name, but a lot of the great stars would have fallen flat without them. Think of Alan Hale and Eugene Palette, just to name two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were so many fine character actors back in the golden age

Yep. TCM has given me a new appreciation for the famous and many of the 'unknowns'. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do. So much ground to cover, so let's see...

Sophia Loren - Count me in. Big +1 from me!

Eddie Arnold was a country singer. The actor was Edward Arnold. He would not have taken kindly to anyone who tried "Eddie".

Omar Sharif was Egyptian, and yes, he definitely counts. Great actor, and a very entertaining guy. I saw him interviewed a couple of times, and he was a riot.

Denzel Washington??? That inflated jerk??? Another professional "Man With a Chip on His Shoulder". I can't believe they remade "The Equalizer" with him. It's a good thing Edward Woodward was already gone, or he'd have died of disgust.

Speaking of arrogant pr**ks, I can't believe anyone would celebrate that ass McQueen in "The Great Escape". He ruined that movie. Entirely aside from the fact that there were no American officers in the escape (because they were all moved to a new camp of their own before the tunnels were completed), no one walked around a Luftstalag dressed in 1960's sweatshirt and slacks. McQueen demanded that he control his wardrobe, lines, and that he got to ride a motorcycle - but he wasn't a good enough rider to perform the jumps. He kept screwing it up, so they got stunt rider Bud Ekins to stand in. The American producer insisted that they write the prima donna into the movie because he didn't think it would appeal to the domestic audience without a big American star (as if a class actor like James Garner wasn't a draw.) The world became an infinitely better place the day "Mr. Cool' left it.

Colonel Blimp was insulting. It was wartime propaganda made to justify to the public the idea of playing dirty in the new "total war". The sentiment was valid, but the movie belittled professional soldiering. On the up side, Roger Livesey was a terrific, and very much underrated, actor.

Marlon Brando, a.k.a. Mr. Mumbles - another pimple on the ass of Hollywood. Got an Oscar for stuffing his mouth with cotton wool. Ironically, it's probably the clearest diction of any role he ever played. At least we didn't have to listen to him yelling in anguish yet again. I despise "method actors".

Definite +1 for James Mason and Christoph Waltz. And very pleased to see someone included Gloria Grahame. There were so many fine character actors back in the golden age. Everyone recognizes the faces, though not many know them by name, but a lot of the great stars would have fallen flat without them. Think of Alan Hale and Eugene Palette, just to name two.

Ok. May I rebut: Denzel Washington May be a bastard, but his remake of Man on Fire and his performance in it is better than the original. He is also top notch in Philadelphia with Hanks whatever one may think of the subject matter.

McQueen earns it for Sand Peebles and Bulleit alone. He may have been weird, but he he could sure drive and was the draw of any film he was in. He is not my favorite, but I cannot deny his appeal and his ability.

I think I had Gloria Grahame on this list. The first film I saw with her was In a Lonely Place. Just great. My wife and I play a game where when you see a “face” you have to name another film they were in and their name. I have seen 6 Gloria Grahame films now. Well, films see is cast in. Most recently in The Man who Never Was. She was killed by the critics of the day for that role. This was a travesty.

Churchill banned Colonel Blimp. It is not insulting. The film is accurate in its sentiment. At one, Churchill had to be talked off using Antrhax on German cities. That does not make him evil or a villein in history. The man was trying to destroy Nazisim. It is a simply fact. Colonel Blimp speaks to an honorable ideal or mindset we in the West have to balance when facing evil. The US has and may have failed at this in the War on Terror from both sides of the Paradigm. I say may. Kill e if you must. In addition, Colnel Blimp is just funny. I also love the Trophy Room.

Ernest Borgnine, great addition.

I hereby submit and nominate Eli Wallach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Eli Wallach. I can never see him without thinking of Tuco Ramirez in the bubble bath. "If you're gonna talk, talk, if you're gonna shoot, shoot." I may have already mentioned him by I'll risk redundancy for mentioning Gregory Peck. 12:00 High, To Kill a Mockingbird, Guns Of Navarone. et al.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon Chaney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Man Of A Thousand Faces'. A great movie also on his life that starred James Cagney; another one that needs a mention on the great actor's list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon Chaney Jr.

As a kid I was absolutely terrified of the Wolfman in the movie of the same starring Lon Chaney Jr., Claude Rains, Bela Lugosi, Fay Helm, Evelyn Ankers(The queen of the 'B's), Ralph Bellamy, and the very best gypsy woman ever, Maria Ouspenskaya. "Even a man who is pure in heart. . . . . . . ." Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite silent Film is Lon Chaney in West of Zanzibar. I admit, I am not the biggest fan of silent film.

I also love Walter Huston (John Huston’s father). His West of Zanzibar in Lon Chaney’s character renamed Kongo is great. Of course, Treasure of Sierra Mandre, Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Devil and Daniel Webster, Maltese Falcon, and Rhodes of Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, you are so right. I remember her telling Larry the curse + knowing there was no way he could be saved was scary as he was a nice guy. Great classic movie!