New
Find
Notify
Tools

1873 Trapdoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to shoot this rifle it's 45/70 wonder what bullets and loads, really don't want to use black powder and I don't cast my own.

Any recommendations? For Commercial lead bullets and starting loads loads?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX, go to the Hodgdon reloading data center and pull up their charts for the .45-70 for Trapdoors. Lots of options there using smokeless and they list several cast bullets. You said you don't cast, but one of the best, inexpensive molds for a Trapdoor is the Lee 405-grain hollow base. When cast soft, it will very likely bump up to fit your barrel -- an issue with Trapdoors as the groove diameter can be as big as .462-.463, which makes for a mighty poor showing with a hard cast bullet sized to .459. Black powder also helps Trapdoors shoot better as it gives a "swifter kick in the ass" to the projectile, helping it fill out into the grooves.
I used to have that mold but no longer do, or I would cast you up a hundred. Surely have a pal in Texas who can cast some for you.
I do have a dozen of the big old Lyman .457125s I would be happy to send you, gratis. This is the big government bullet.
PM me if you want them.
Good luck. Shooting a Trapdoor is a sacred American experience in my book.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, what Bill said. Shooting trapdoors with black powder is the way to go; it is not hard to do. But, if you must use that new powder, use 28 grains of 5744 and a very soft 400 grain bullet, or a 300 grain. Do not use hard bullets; you will just lead the bore. Gas cutting.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank Bill. I appreciate very much it but a dozen would probably just make me want more.......

I was hoping for an idea on what/where to purchase some softies.

Well the "new" powder (that funny) does have quite a few advantages to clean up and such.....and.....I have plenty of 5744.....so.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX: Buffalo Arms has just what the doctor ordered, soft-cast slugs prelubed with SPG, which works with both black and smokeless. I would try the .460 405-grain hollow base at the bottom of page 3 to start with. I have been buying from Buffalo Arms for years with perfect satisfaction.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/411...r-4135.aspx?CAT=4135

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no issues with BP cleanup; use the only US Army approved black powder solvent; Water, one Gill, warm if available., That's all you need. Then oil the bore and let the brass dry.
One thing; if your bore is oversize, then smokeless powder won't bump up the bullets and you will get gas cutting and leading; black powder is the only cure for that. Use a card wad under the bullet too. Do not use a wad or filler on 5744; a friend ringed a chamber on the first shot of a new barrel on a 40 Sharps I built in the early 90s for him. I am sure you know all this.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Bill, thanks.

Yes Sir I know the black cleaning routine.....I just hate it. I think maybe I'm lazier than you are........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the bullets Bill. Gotta find some more brass as well...... Fun stuff!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those shooting the Marlin Micro-groove rifling remember that they are accurate [despite rumours] but the hardness and bullet diameter must be carefully picked to get the accuracy. Carefully search for the best bullet or cast your own.
Love is a warm 45-70 ! dancing

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that hollow base 405's and BP or BP substitute work extremely well. Cleanup is easier with BP than Pyrodex.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try looking here for more information regarding getting your trapdoor to shoot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
There are no issues with BP cleanup; use the only US Army approved black powder solvent; Water, one Gill, warm if available., That's all you need. Then oil the bore and let the brass dry.
One thing; if your bore is oversize, then smokeless powder won't bump up the bullets and you will get gas cutting and leading; black powder is the only cure for that. Use a card wad under the bullet too. Do not use a wad or filler on 5744; a friend ringed a chamber on the first shot of a new barrel on a 40 Sharps I built in the early 90s for him. I am sure you know all this.

Got my bullets and brass.............if I where to use BP what would be a good starting load? 2F, I would guess?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent book on loading and shooting the trapdoor. "Loading cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine" by J.S Wolf and Pat Wolf. Well worth the money.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on the same page with bpcd. I use 5744 in mine w/ a 400G. cast.I hate the BP cleanup as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
This is an excellent book on loading and shooting the trapdoor. "Loading cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine" by J.S Wolf and Pat Wolf. Well worth the money.

That's where I got my load. I used to shoot Silhouette with those loads in the Carbine at LASC.

It was FUN!

The book is definitely worth it!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post