New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .50-70 Govt. Rolling Block is done
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems that several of us had .50-70 Govt. Rolling Block projects going. Mine is finally done. I was going to put it together myself. However, when I was a Quigley, the C. Sharps folks had a nice rolling block in their tent that they assembled. It turns out that they will now put together guns for customers. After pricing out what I wanted, I found that after I bought a reamer and head space gauges, and paid to have the metal parts cased and blued, it was only going to be a few hundred dollars more to have them assemble the rifle. They are much better craftsmen than I am, and the gun is even prettier in person than in the photos. I have included before and after for your viewing pleasure.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice let us know how it shoots

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy WOW! That's a head-turner.
What's she weigh, all up?

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not put it on a scale, but at a guess, I would say about 9-1/2 pounds. Can you say elk rifle? I hope to get loads worked up by November when the season starts.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They sure did a fine job on the color casing. I keep coming back to the photos and drooling ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
And at the price they charged to assemble it, I could not pass it up. We have had C.Sharps build four other rifles for members of our family, so I was pretty sure of what I would get. The great thing is that it is actually nicer than I expected. John is out of the day-to-day operations, and I think the quality, which was decent, is even better now with the guys who are running the business for him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, 30-inch barrel?
I had John Taylor fit and chamber a 30-inch Green Mountain full octagon on my 1875 Carl Gustav action probably close to 8 years ago and I regret to say she weighs 11 3/4 pounds. Considering having it cut to 28 inches and having it turned round from forend to muzzle to see if that will help with the balance. It's about time I get this project finished so I can shoot the darned thing.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
loud-n-boomer,

That is a beautiful rifle.
Well done!
clap

Bill/Oregon,

I believe he has the same barrel I have on my rifle.
L-N-B recommended Oregon Barrel Works. Glad he did.
Mine is a winner. tu2

Groove is .510" diameter, barrel is 28" long, tapered octagon, 1.100" at breech, 0.900" at muzzle, across the flats, 1:24" twist.
That duplicates the barrel profile of Custer's Rolling Block sporter, 50-70 Govt.
His twist may have been as slow as 1:42", don't know, but that was all the rage for 450-grain bullets at onetime.
It worked very well for him on elk and grizzly bear in the Black Hills from 1872 to 1876.
In 1876 he died with his boots on, and with that rifle nearby if not in hand (revolvers).

I have done some load development that L-N-B can rely upon for his rifle,
if he has the same barrel as I have on my Rolling Block:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1007002/m/4281043332

Remember that thread? Smiler

BTW,
I am now working on a "Big Sixty" Sharps 1874,
and the 20 Gauge 3.5" Ex Purgatario is now known as the 60-240 Sharps 3.5".

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/9591068532

I am skipping right over the 50-140 Sharps 3.25".
tu2

Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi RIP.

It is indeed the same barrel as I suggested to you. Thanks for the reminder on the loads, I am hoping to kill an elk with the gun in November.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, how's she shoot? What do you think of that Rough and Ready rear sight in actual use?

– John Green, author