THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Who can grind/cut serrations in a knife blank?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can grind/cut serrations in a knife blank?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Bowie knife blank that I'd like to have serrations placed on, for cutting rope and the like.

Anyone know a craftsman who can do the job?

Thanks,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not all that hard, get a file that fits the size serrations you want, measure and mark it, and file away, then sharpen the edges.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It's not all that hard...

Once again, modifying a finished knife with either a file or saw is not practical, the material is just too hard. Files or saws just won't cut materials in excess of say Rc 25. Heat treated tool steels run Rc 45-59 or so.

Most pros will put such features on the blade prior to heat treat, then heat treat and finish grind and buff.

I would suggest therefore either buying a knife with the features you need.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
It's likely been through a finish heat treat even though it's just a blank. And although cutting it with a file is possible, it will take a long long time and likely ruin some files.

The only practical way I think to get it done on a blank is find someone that can anneal the blank cut the serrations and then reheat treat the blade. I don't know anyone who can do that for you but I suspect it will cost as much as the blank originally cost you or more.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Since this is a bowie knife blade, I suspect it will be easily worked with a file.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but most bowie style blades are usually a bit on the soft side.

Anway, sent a PM to you.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
how about a diamond stone?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote