The Accurate Reloading Forums
Who can grind/cut serrations in a knife blank?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/5631002111

12 June 2009, 06:38
N. Garrett
Who can grind/cut serrations in a knife blank?
I have a Bowie knife blank that I'd like to have serrations placed on, for cutting rope and the like.

Anyone know a craftsman who can do the job?

Thanks,

Garrett
15 June 2009, 05:53
Gatogordo
It's not all that hard, get a file that fits the size serrations you want, measure and mark it, and file away, then sharpen the edges.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
14 October 2009, 11:47
DMCI*
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It's not all that hard...

Once again, modifying a finished knife with either a file or saw is not practical, the material is just too hard. Files or saws just won't cut materials in excess of say Rc 25. Heat treated tool steels run Rc 45-59 or so.

Most pros will put such features on the blade prior to heat treat, then heat treat and finish grind and buff.

I would suggest therefore either buying a knife with the features you need.
15 October 2009, 23:04
TheBigGuy
It's likely been through a finish heat treat even though it's just a blank. And although cutting it with a file is possible, it will take a long long time and likely ruin some files.

The only practical way I think to get it done on a blank is find someone that can anneal the blank cut the serrations and then reheat treat the blade. I don't know anyone who can do that for you but I suspect it will cost as much as the blank originally cost you or more.
21 October 2009, 04:36
Mark
Since this is a bowie knife blade, I suspect it will be easily worked with a file.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but most bowie style blades are usually a bit on the soft side.

Anway, sent a PM to you.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside
21 October 2009, 05:33
jb
how about a diamond stone?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM