THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM


Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is everything made in China?
 Login/Join
 
one of us
posted
I was in an outdoor store yesterday and saw a sign....."40% off Gerber and Buck knives"

Whilst looking at them I noticed that all were made in China.

Quality seemed OK, still it's sad. Frowner
 
Posts: 581 | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is everything made in China?


Damn near. Case in point: I bought ball-bearing, polyurethane replacement wheels for my mechanics creeper, online. The shrink-wrapped cardboard packaging said Made in USA with an American flag logo. But stamped proudly on the bearing face was that now unavoidable, CHINA. I emailed the company to complain of false advertising. Their product manager responded that many products are assembled in the USA with foreign made parts...and legit to call it Made in the USA. I told him, now that I know better, I would boycott ALL of his products so I wouldn't be fooled again!
 
Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
I was in an outdoor store yesterday and saw a sign....."40% off Gerber and Buck knives"

Whilst looking at them I noticed that all were made in China.

Quality seemed OK, still it's sad. Frowner


....bought 2 knives: Colt and Browning...both made in China.
 
Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Is everything made in China?


Damn near. Case in point: I bought ball-bearing, polyurethane replacement wheels for my mechanics creeper, online. The shrink-wrapped cardboard packaging said Made in USA with an American flag logo. But stamped proudly on the bearing face was that now unavoidable, CHINA. I emailed the company to complain of false advertising. Their product manager responded that many products are assembled in the USA with foreign made parts...and legit to call it Made in the USA. I told him, now that I know better, I would boycott ALL of his products so I wouldn't be fooled again!


I'm with you on the boycotting stance, however ones choice in the future will be somewhat, shall we say, limited nilly
 
Posts: 581 | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many good knives made in the US, you just can't buy them for $10 at Walmarts. Many Spydercos are made in Co for one example. Want to pay more there are some incredible knives starting at a few hundred.


xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
 
Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
I literally screamed at Buck because they have knives made in China - they say they want "everyone" to be able to afford a good knife. They suck, and all the manufacturers that have traditionally American made brands suck. Boycott them all - don't buy crap from China.
 
Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Least we forget.......They are COMMUNISTS!!!
I would rather do without, than to support the regime. Better dead, than RED!!


"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

 
Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nanook 450:
I literally screamed at Buck because they have knives made in China - they say they want "everyone" to be able to afford a good knife. They suck, and all the manufacturers that have traditionally American made brands suck. Boycott them all - don't buy crap from China.


quote:
Are all Case knives made in the United States?


Yes. Case Cutlery remains committed to handcrafting each and every knife in the United States. The majority of our knives are made in Bradford, PA, where Case has been manufacturing cutlery for over a century. W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.
 
Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 knives from a supplier last year. When they arrived they were stamped china. I sent them back w/ a stern note.
You can buy US made steel, but you will pay for it. Just save your $$$, it's worth it
 
Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck boycotting Chinese-made goods, fellas.

Chinese steel is generally excellent. Quality of consruction, not so much.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
 
Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Nanook 450:
I literally screamed at Buck because they have knives made in China - they say they want "everyone" to be able to afford a good knife. They suck, and all the manufacturers that have traditionally American made brands suck. Boycott them all - don't buy crap from China.


quote:
Are all Case knives made in the United States?


Yes. Case Cutlery remains committed to handcrafting each and every knife in the United States. The majority of our knives are made in Bradford, PA, where Case has been manufacturing cutlery for over a century. W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.


B-O-R-I-N-G

Steve


Formerly "Nganga"
 
Posts: 2574 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kershaw knives are still proudly made in the USA! They can be pricey though.

Andy


We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club
 
Posts: 2951 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Kershaw knives are still proudly made in the USA! They can be pricey though.

Andy


I have a couple of excellent Kershaw fixed blade knives that are made in "Japan", not that there's anything wrong with that.

They are of superb quality and were indeed pricey. beer
 
Posts: 581 | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nanook 450:
I literally screamed at Buck because they have knives made in China - they say they want "everyone" to be able to afford a good knife. They suck, and all the manufacturers that have traditionally American made brands suck. Boycott them all - don't buy crap from China.


Gonna be kinda hard buying absolutely NOTHING!
Don't take this wrong, I agree in principle!
 
Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are all of Buck's models made in China?


......civilize 'em with a Krag
 
Posts: 285 | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NRA sent me a hat w/ "NRA" and an American flag. "Made in China"

Kershaw has contracts /w Japan I think. Schrade went to China. I've been buying up American made American brands when I see them at shows, Cammilus, Schrade, Case, Kershaw, Buck . . .
 
Posts: 1833 | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
Are all of Buck's models made in China?


The two 112 folding Hunters I've bought in the last year are both marked USA.
Kershaw 1030 & 1050 were both Japanese & excellent quality.
CRKT M-21 has the box marked Product of Taiwan.

Here in the UK, the city of Sheffield used to be known as the world's blade maker. All pretty much gone now.
 
Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So where are Puma Knives made?
 
Posts: 426 | Registered: 09 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:
So where are Puma Knives made?


Some are made in Spain, I believe, but Germany still produces its fair share.
 
Posts: 581 | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Is everything made in China?


Damn near. Case in point: I bought ball-bearing, polyurethane replacement wheels for my mechanics creeper, online. The shrink-wrapped cardboard packaging said Made in USA with an American flag logo. But stamped proudly on the bearing face was that now unavoidable, CHINA. I emailed the company to complain of false advertising. Their product manager responded that many products are assembled in the USA with foreign made parts...and legit to call it Made in the USA. I told him, now that I know better, I would boycott ALL of his products so I wouldn't be fooled again!

I buy large quantities of bearings every year, good luck finding any not made in China.
 
Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
Moderator
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
most foundaries and forging houses have finally moved to CHina.. as EPA regs makes it nearly impossible here


opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
Order AR/AccRel Brass
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com
 
Posts: 36213 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I ordered a couple of Buck pocket knives from Midway that were on sale. Turns out they were made in China. I guess Buck has 3 grades of knives now and only the top 2 are made in USA.

I think I will stick to Benchmade and customs.

BigB
 
Posts: 1399 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later you all will be driving cars made in China. Wait and see. GM, Ford, and the rest cannot compete. China will get the quality issues sorted and become the leading manufacturer of nearly everything.

History bears this out. The Brits used to be at the top. Now, good luck at finding anything affordable made in the Europe.
 
Posts: 9278 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i am old enough to remember when "made in Japan" meant junk. now look at it. in the not too distant future, China will get their quality control issues worked out and bury the manufacturing industries in this country. when you learn to produce a QUALITY product at a much cheaper price, the world( including the US) will beat a path to your door. if you think i am wrong, check where iPhones and other high end electronics come from now. US labor costs and government regulation have driven up production costs in this country to where we can no longer compete in the global economy. sad but inevitable. but hey, look at all the great pension benefits and retiree health care plans we have subsidized.
 
Posts: 10184 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
China is the largest manufacturer of semiconductor chips and shortly will be the technology and design leaders in this field.

Remember the brightest guys in the room telling us what a wonderful country we will be when we become a service sector society?

Last month we had a $60 Billion trade deficit. How many years of trillion dollar trade deficits can we have before our currency is used to fill tissue boxes?

As for knives, I just bought a Bear Manufacturing Barlow. It is stamped Jacksonville Alabama. There used to be a factory there, I toured it in the 80s, I hope they are still making knives.

This barlow is very well made, fit and finish are excellent.
 
Posts: 888 | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
look around the future is here
 
Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't punish the companies trying to stay in business and keep Americans employed. At least they are trying to keep assembly jobs going.
Punish the damned politicians who have sold us all down the river by making it impossible to keep American manufacturing on our shores. They have been selling us all out by giving foreign trade tax free status and import tariffs that put our own manufacturing companies out of business.
Frank
 
Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Don't punish the companies trying to stay in business and keep Americans employed. At least they are trying to keep assembly jobs going.
Punish the damned politicians who have sold us all down the river by making it impossible to keep American manufacturing on our shores. They have been selling us all out by giving foreign trade tax free status and import tariffs that put our own manufacturing companies out of business.
Frank



Sad but true....
 
Posts: 426 | Registered: 09 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It gets worse...like the DISGRACE of your American NRA using non-USA made hats....

Here in England we "won" the 2012 Olympic Games to the usual "bulls1t" from politicians saying that it would be "good for the country"...

So where will all the fur-fabric cuddly London 2012 Olympic mascots for kids to buy be made....China!

At the very, very least for something like that it should be insisted that things like these toys, biro pens, flags, etc., etc. are ALL made in Great Britain unless not British maker exists.
 
Posts: 6766 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't punish the companies trying to stay in business and keep Americans employed. At least they are trying to keep assembly jobs going.


I don't even think that is true either. Here in England we had Hardy the great fishing tackle maker. At a stroke, in one day, they made over 50$ of the work force redundant and stopped production of pretty much ALL their tackle in UK.

It is now made in China and Hardy is really just a giant warehouse where these things arrive.

In fact even the famous "Hardy Factory Tour" where you go see the rods and reels made is now....a DVD video...as ther is no longer any true "factory" in the UK!

Yet they have the barefaced gall to put "Designed in England" on their products.

Me? I won't buy another Hardy item. Ever. If I'm going to buy Chinese made tackle I'll at least buy it from a brand that is honest about the fact, leaves the "Made in China" label on AND last charges a price that reflects the items origin.

But, oh dear, your USA Orvis did the same with out last UK fly reel maker - British Fly Reels - and bought it, closed it down and shipped the production to China too.

My son was educated in Australia. On his way to school by train, everyday, he passed a huge billboard.

On it was the advert: "Give your children the present of a job...buy Australian"
 
Posts: 6766 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randall is still made in the USA. Price is high and wait is long, but they are heirlooms. I have managed to buy one for each of my sons and grandson. You can sitll find some Case made in the USA. I have a Buck Stockman I have had over 30 years, carried it in the Army and still clean deer with it. Damn I hated to see Buck go to China!


Jim
 
Posts: 1183 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Back to the premise of your original question, No everything is not made in China. Not even all knives are made in China, .. .
The really cheap poor quality ones are
made in Pakistan.



Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits


 
Posts: 4058 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A correction here about Buck knives.

While some of their very CHEAPEST knives are mnade in China, MOST of their knives, and ALL of their best knives are STILL made in the USA at their Post Falls ,Idaho plant. They employ about 200 folks there I beleive.

All their Classic folders like the 110,112 etc etc are made there. I just bought a Bucklite Fixed Blade Hunter Orange Boone and Crocket Hunter. The knife is marked "USA".

Here is a just a partial list of American knife makers still pluggin away , making most and in some cases all of their knives here in the USA-

Support them.

Buck Knives
Case knives
Kershaw
Ontario Knives
Ka-Bar Knives
Queen /Schatt Morgan
Canal Street Cultlery
Bark River Knife and tool
Ruana knives
Randall knives
Black Jack knives
Great Eastern Cutlery
Utica Knife
 
Posts: 528 | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I an old timer woodsman made in America ,id like another one but they are made in China now so i wont buy one,i have three Weatherbys made in the U.S ,i also have two german wbys and one jap ,i like the US made weatherbys better and would not buy another jap one .I like American made products ,i just hope they dont disappear altogether ,and we always have a choice
 
Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim62:
A correction here about Buck knives.

While some of their very CHEAPEST knives are mnade in China, MOST of their knives, and ALL of their best knives are STILL made in the USA at their Post Falls ,Idaho plant. They employ about 200 folks there I beleive.

All their Classic folders like the 110,112 etc etc are made there. I just bought a Bucklite Fixed Blade Hunter Orange Boone and Crocket Hunter. The knife is marked "USA".

Here is a just a partial list of American knife makers still pluggin away , making most and in some cases all of their knives here in the USA-

Support them.

Buck Knives
Case knives
Kershaw
Ontario Knives
Ka-Bar Knives
Queen /Schatt Morgan
Canal Street Cultlery
Bark River Knife and tool
Ruana knives
Randall knives
Black Jack knives
Great Eastern Cutlery
Utica Knife


I have some Japanese made Kershaw knives and the quality is excellent.
 
Posts: 581 | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The funny thing about it all is that most made in china knives are made at same plant and stamped differently in the US which allows them to be assembled in the US and hence allowed U.S. made.


Romey
 
Posts: 34 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01 July 2009Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2021 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia