30-06
168gr TTSX
H4350, 56.5gr
Nosler brass
CCI 200 primer
.045 Jump

2820 ft/s out of a 1961 M70 sporter.
Sub MOA

1-shot kills on whitetail, mulies, blacktail, hogs, auodad, kudu, gemsbok, black bear, zebra, impala, coyotes, blesbok, wildebeest, warthogs, javalina, and others.

Just a great do-it-all load.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
IMO--It's hard to beat factory Winchester 180 grain Power Points. I use it for everything here in Colorado, elk, deer , moose & black bear.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got surprise this year, leaving an elk hunt I had 200 gr. Nosler Accubonds in my 30-06 and in my truck, got to texas with them and used them on Hill country whitetail that run about 100 lbs. That hot load and heavy bullet put those little deer down on the spot. My license allowed me two bucks and three does, plus the rancher wanted 167 does shot and I helped him out on that. Those Accubonds expanded a little and quickly, did good damage internally, 6 inches of blood shot around the entrance and exit, one to two inch exit holes from any angle..to say the least I was surprised as Ive used 180s that were too tough..This same bullet works as well on bull elk....My thinking is quick expansion to start then they hold together the rest of the trip, and do get the job done..But the 30-06 usually gets it done with any bullet..All these deer were Texas Hill country Mills county low fenced wild deer..To me they are the most beautiful deer of all and their meat is succulent..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, Mr. Bob that is one good load for anything...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 30-06 that will not shoot well a cartridge loaded with 57-58grs of 4350 and any good C&C 165gr bullet, with the brass and primer of your choice, sell the rifle. Otherwise, use that load on everything.
From all of the various loads suggested, you can see the '06 is user friendly.

I've yet to try the snuff and marbles load that Ray suggested but it'd probably work. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snuff & marbles .
Hell, that’s a great loading !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas whitetail 30-06 is over gun with respect to what is actually needed. If you are not putting them down with any bullet except maybe cast bullets or FMJ you need to spend more time at the range.

Ray Atkinson--Your mention of one powder or the other metering better tells me you don't use a Belding&Mull powder measure. They will meter any powder I've tried---but they are slower than other measures. Once set you're good to go with them.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One should remember deer size varies greatly geographically..Texas Hill country deer are very small as are Coues of West texas..South Texas bucks may be 250 or more pounds, I used the 30-30 flat nose bullets, and 150 gr. ballistic tips and 125 and 130 gr. bullets on the small species, 150s on the larger..and this year I used the 200 gr. Accubonds on both and had no problems with quick kills..

Bullets today are so damn good it seems they all work fine, especially in the 30-06 and 308s. Wasn't always like that..Today bullets seem to open quickly but hold together for deep penetration..I know the Noslers are good at that.

I recall Finn Aagard using 125 gr. bullets at 2400 to 2500 FPS and he got instant kills as a rule and little meat waste.. With varmint bullets Ive seen good work done with the 22's and the 60 gr. Hornadys both HP and SP and all instant kills on the spot in .223, 222 and 22-250 but I don't use them because of meat destruction and on 2 occasions Ive seen them hit the shoulder on large Mule deer and come apart and we had to get the dog to find them, so keep shots off the shoulder....

If I hunt in Idaho I lean towards the 150 or 165 gr. Nosler partition, its good for deer or elk in the 06 and .308. The Accubond is showing me the same results so far...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75 Hunter in 30-06
165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip
federal case with CCI magnum LR primers
Imr 4350 55.5 grains
Primer pocket uniformed as well as the flash hole
Chronographed at an honest 2800 FPS plus or minus and get solid 1" groups @100 yds.
This rifle also likes Lake City Match M72 loading,shoots to the original scope setup for the above load. Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article recently where the author declared that high velocity 22 cal. bullets didn't blow up on deer shoulders..That said, I have seen that happen twice, one we recovered with the help of a dog, the other we never found but the shot showed about an 8" bloody spot on the shoulder and we found some shoulder bone..Another instance was with a .308 and the early Nosler Bal. tip..I observed the shoulder hit, saw the wound, found a large sliver of shoulder, deer got in with a bunch of does and tracking was impossible, gave up the search but heard a shot deep in the canyon we were in, walked down and a fellow had shot that deer, the shoulder was a mess, and his shot was good..Helped him pack it out to the road and he never mentioned the shoulder wound..Neither did I...Some time later I shot a mule deer with those same bullets out of a 30-06, the deer at 200 yards did a high flip and fell on his back dead with all four feet sticking up..That bullet exploaded on contact and the lungs look like they had been peppered with bird shot.and the entrance hole was about 8 inches round..

My contention is this stuff does happen and the author, who is well experienced just hasn't seen it for whatever reason..but that does not mean it hasn't happened.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120