THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .50 heavy MG barrel for .500 Jeffery..?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.50 heavy MG barrel for .500 Jeffery..? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am contemplating building a .500 J on a Brno 602 action.

I have this .50 MG barrel (QCB), is it usable for this project...I have no idea about barrel twist etc.

I have cut off the hard-metal part on it..

Anyone..?

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bore and groove are right for it, and the twist should be 1:15" for the milsurp,
also very good.

I bought one of those barrels once, at a Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot/gun show.

Some of the rifling was missing inside mine.

Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to go through the trouble. I would not waste the time with a unknown surplus MG barrel.

I am a real fugal guy but being cheap can end up costing you more instead of doing it right the first time.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
When yo say you cut off the hard part what are you referring to. Many of the Ma Deuce barrels were Stelite lined. VERY HARD!

IIRC the very first .50 Alaskan was built using an M2 barrel. I don't think he was worried about range. He also cut off steel cored .50 BMG bullets, inverted the base like a truncated cone and loaded them.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut about 5 inches ahead of the chamber..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The MG barrels were not known for real accuracy even with the best of bullets. Turning them down may also result in a even looser barrel. Twist is fine but I'd strongly suggest you buy a better barrel.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it would work, "okay" .. a friend had one on a 500a2, and i have that barrel now .. the bore is/was nor true, but the machining of the contour is.. the gun shot pretty well ---

just letting you know it CAN be done, though the machining cost may make the project cheaper if you get a new barrel ....

UNLESS norway is a country where the barrel is the serialized part

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...okay...a friend built a .500 A-Square on a similar barrel, works like a charm..

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
You never know, you might do fine. Keep in mind though the Ma Deuce was intended to produce a cone of fire. That's how all MGs work. Single round precision is not on the list of requirements. It's your build, go for it. The worst that can happen is poor accuracy and some wasted money.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Turning a Ma Deuce down to sporter rifle dimentions could introduce a lot of stresses in the barrel. As has been stated the M2 barrels were not meant for great accuracy.
No 50 BMG TARGET rifle shooters would think of using those barrels if they want an accurate barrel. I have a Windrunner and 2 McMillan bench guns and certainly would not use those barrels.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote