The Accurate Reloading Forums
CH4D Canneluring Tool: Heavy Duty Cool

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/6761027491

06 December 2013, 07:30
RIP
CH4D Canneluring Tool: Heavy Duty Cool
Ye Olde Barnes Original .510/600-grain RNSP lacks a cannelure from factory.
Easy to fix with the CH4D "cantool."

Some 500 Bateleur brass 2.700" max, trim to 2.690" minimum brass length.
Also 400 Whelen Berry brass 2.494" max, trim to 2.484" minimum brass length.
I am still perfecting my annealing.
These are ready to load and fire:

Just half a dozen turns of the crank with firm pressure on the black ball:
The cannelure is perfectly placed to have full contact between neck and bearing surface of this bullet in the 500 Bateleur.
The bevel on the bottom of the bullet lines up right at neck-1 juncture with shoulder,
when crimped in middle of CH4D cannelure.

06 December 2013, 09:07
jeffeosso
Tis a great tool... Better than the Corbin tool, which Rob and I might have mentioned a time or three over the last decade and change

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com
06 December 2013, 15:34
michael458
RIPPER....

I have had one of these for many years now, and it is a great tool, and have used it many times on odd bullets either with no cannelure, or one that might have been in the wrong place for my purposes.....

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.
06 December 2013, 18:30
ledvm
Question:

How important is it to have a cannelure on a bullet if you used a Lee Factory Crimp die?

Lee says you don't need a cannelure to use one and when I have on bullets like Nosler Partitions...it actually forms a cannelure of sorts in the jacket.

Thoughts from the experts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.
06 December 2013, 18:32
RIP
First time I have used it.
It seems to be "fool proof." Cool
If you get by without a crimp or use the Lee Factory Crimp die without a cannelure, that is OK.
But if you don't have a custom crimp die for every rifle (wildcats especially) it is nice to have a cannelure and the regular roll crimp.
Allows better throat-matching COL in some cases,
like the 400 Whelen B with 400-grain bullet in a 3.4" magazine
and adequate throat length in the chamber.
Now I will probably shoot these "Weeweeland Approved" heavy-for-caliber varmint bullets just to get some load data,
chronographed outdoors whenever the ice storm ends.

From the first picture above, you can "map the ogive" of the bullet by the roller polishing of the full bearing .510" diameter bullet shaft.
The cannelured bullet has some .510" diameter above the cannelure, seen here, again:

06 December 2013, 19:28
prof242
Been using one of these for years. Thought I was old-fashioned or something, but it worked for what I needed. Thanks for bringing it public again.
tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship
06 December 2013, 19:34
RIP
Max,
What else have I been missing out on? Wink
That is a simply nifty little tool.
Stoutly built. tu2
06 December 2013, 19:45
D Humbarger
I wonder is any real test have been done to determine the affect on accuracy especially since the cannelure is done by hand & is bound to be slightly inconsistent from bullet to bullet?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.
06 December 2013, 19:55
RIP
D Humbarger,
You are straining your eyes to find fly poop in the pepper.
This can be as consistent as any factory cannelure.
It may not be CNC-machined precise, but when you add in all the other "compensating errors"
regarding the brass and handloading variances beyond knowing, it is a wash.

Does it weaken the bullet jacket at the cannelure? Yes. But that is more fly poop in the pepper.
06 December 2013, 20:50
Zephyr
Been using a Corbin tool for a while with no complaints. Are we talking Chevys vs Fords or is there a noticeable difference?
07 December 2013, 04:15
eagle27
That's a neat tool, would not be too hard to make one using the serrated drive wheel off a common tin can opener as the cannelure wheel I'm thinking?

Is there any tendency for the bullet to ride up the backing rollers when canneluring?
07 December 2013, 06:10
jeffeosso
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Been using a Corbin tool for a while with no complaints. Are we talking Chevys vs Fords or is there a noticeable difference?

I have had both.. Sold the Corbin Iirc.. For big bullets the Corbin doesn't work, full stop. More like pinto/Vega vs Dodge 3500

476AR,
07 December 2013, 08:53
John Galt
Well now that is just cool as all hell! I may find myself in need of one... or just in want of one!

-John
07 December 2013, 23:55
RIP
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
That's a neat tool, would not be too hard to make one using the serrated drive wheel off a common tin can opener as the cannelure wheel I'm thinking?

Is there any tendency for the bullet to ride up the backing rollers when canneluring?

That serrated wheel seems to lock the bullet in place once engaged. The bullet does not try to climb up the rollers.
08 December 2013, 00:00
RIP
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:
Well now that is just cool as all hell! I may find myself in need of one... or just in want of one!

-John

I would have used one a long time ago if I had one.
I just added it onto an order of CH4D bullet sizing dies, realizing I should have ordered one a long time ago.
Recommendations of other members here for CH4D rather than Corbin guided the choice of cannelure tool.
Likewise, gunsmith recommendations of CH4D bullet sizer dies, rather than Lee, guided that choice.

Anyhow, I can now crimp any cup & core .410 or .411 diameter bullet from 300 to 400 grains to give a COL of up to 3.355" or longer,
in the 400 Whelen Berry of 2013, as long as there is no throat interference.
Adds a little pepper to the fly poop of performance improvement.
A wildcatter has got to have an edge, no matter how small it is. Cool
08 December 2013, 06:11
RIP
Attempting 2600 fps with this 300-grain varmint bullet in the 400 Whelen Berry,
this bullet is about 50-thou off the lands of the 400 WB, so seated on the added cannelure, and will not chamber in the 400 WP.
That adds pepper to the fly poop. Cool

08 December 2013, 06:30
prof242
As with any new tool added to the workbench, it takes a little practice to best learn how to use it. Surprisingly, shooting what looked like less than perfect bullets did not hurt accuracy as much as I thought it would. The good looking bullets stayed with the out-of-the- box bullets accuracy-wise. This was primarily the large bore bullets. Some of the sleek spitzers did show differences.

RIP, I should let you rummage around my reloading room! Who knows what may be found. One of my grandsons found a box of old Herter's Wasp-Waist bullets (7mm) earlier this summer.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
08 December 2013, 07:02
RIP
Max,

Got any Nosler Zipedo bullets?
John at North Fork would pay good money for even one of those. tu2

Accuracy testing to follow, top end speed testing first ... if the weather lets up.
Snowed in and about to get big bored, even in Kentucky. Shoveled my driveway last night.
Almost like being in Colorado.
08 December 2013, 16:05
Zephyr
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

I have had both.. Sold the Corbin Iirc.. For big bullets the Corbin doesn't work, full stop. More like pinto/Vega vs Dodge

Been using my Corbin on .458 and .411 dia bullets with no problem. I will admit that the CH4D looks to be a much better made tool.
09 December 2013, 07:11
lawndart
I was loading some 416 Taylor ammunition a few years ago. The factory cannelure on the Swift bullets was too far forward for the Taylor; it created a "too short" COAL, and used up valuable powder space in the case.

The CH4D cannelure cutter corrected all that slicker than warm alligator snot.

09 December 2013, 07:34
D R Hunter
It really looks like a great addition to one's
reloading gear, that's for sure!
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

09 December 2013, 13:49
Grandpasez
I'll be getting one to do 585" bullets,
as I plan to be making them by next summer.
585 only, just for the big bore. Ed

MZEE WA SIKU
09 December 2013, 14:50
prof242
RIP: Shot up all my Nosler Zipedos years ago. Also all those Nosler solid base bullets.

Lawndart: Is that warm alligator snot Slicker Than Owl Shit? STOS lubricant.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
13 December 2013, 07:15
TexKD
I am now going to have to get one of these.

Just because .

I don't know how many times I will use it, but like other gear here I'll have it if I need it. Probably none of my buddies have one.
15 December 2013, 06:28
lawndart
quote:
Lawndart: Is that warm alligator snot Slicker Than Owl Shit? STOS lubricant.

Fresh Owl shit and still warm alligator snot likely have close to identical low friction coefficients. Old owl shit is not slick; the same holds true for alligator snot (as the water component evaporates).

I would guess that it is a wash between the two. Big Grin

15 December 2013, 16:09
Rusty
Perhaps a little Possness-Warren STOS?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”
21 December 2013, 05:59
Strawboss
My experience with the CH4D products is that they are excellent. It is a shame they are not more widely known. They did a great job on my .256 & .35 Newton dies. I would guess a carefully hand rolled cannelure would be just as accurate if not more so than the high production machine made version.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member
21 December 2013, 06:07
jeffeosso
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffeosso:

For big bullets the Corbin doesn't work, full stop.

Been using my Corbin on .458 and .411 dia bullets with no problem. I will admit that the CH4D looks to be a much better made tool.

yes sir.. like i said, the ch4d works for big bullets, while the corbin is okay for "not big" bullets... LOL

476AR,
21 December 2013, 18:26
Robgunbuilder
Loading bullets out long has always been a secret sauce tool of mine for getting extra oomph when I want it. I think this is a way better design than the Corbin and I'm gonna buy one. Thanks RIP!!

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!
22 December 2013, 23:12
RIP
Welcome, Rob,
And thank you for the 600 OK shots. beer