New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for .416 Rigby? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
I recently acquired a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. It's en route so I haven't had hands on it yet.

I've decided on Warne QD rings but until I decide on a scope, I won't know if I need low or medium.

I'm thinking a fixed power scope. My budget is small; right now the options seem to be a Weaver Classic K-Series 6x38 or a Leupold FX II 6x26.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Maybe I should consider used, on eBay or somewhere?

Got to stay under $300.

What about red dots?

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.5 to 5 is what I have on my two .416 Rigbys. They work and they’re guaranteed for life, even if bought used.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of good used scopes on the market on eBay or Gun Broker. I have not bought a new scope in years.

I prefer post or post and crosshair reticles, which other people seem to spurn and Griffin & Howe side mounts, which evidently are widely believed to detract from the value of a rifle, both of which preferences work to my advantage.

I am presently having a Nickel 1.5-4X variable with a running game reticle installed on my DSB Oberndorf Mauser in caliber 9.3X62, using Mauser type claw mounts.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Leupold 1.5 to 5 is what I have on my two .416 Rigbys. They work and they’re guaranteed for life, even if bought used.

That's what I have on my .458 Winchester Magnum, in Warne rings, and it hasn't changed zero in almost 20 years.

Unfortunately, unless I can find one used but in good shape, the current price puts it out of my budget.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on my 416 Rigby. The glass and reticle is great, and it has stood up to at least 200 full house rounds DSC plus a trip to Africa. The only issue is a short eye relief.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have two Tasco Titans, 1.5-6, German no4 reticle.

They are premium 30mm tube Japanese scopes from 2002 or so.

One has been on my 416 for 10+ years, hundreds of rounds without issue. The other is a back up that is in rings, but I’ve never used. Now, my primary scope is a Zeiss, so I have an as new one (unused backup) if you’re interested.

I also have an extra set of dies

Shoot me a PM if interested. All is well within your budget.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I also have a leupold 1.5x5 on my 416 Rigby in Warne QD rings. You shouldn't have any problem finding a used version of this scope for $300 or less. Leupold has been making this scope for many years. The model has been updated over the years. Vari XIII, VXIII, VX3, VX3i in that order with the VX3i being the current model. Some of the older Vari XIII's have friction adjustments but were changed to click adjustments with later production. All the rest have click adjustments.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5x8 36mm on my CZ 550 in .416 Rigby, currently in Leupold rings, I have had the small lug on the rear ring shear off on 2 sets of Warne QD rings (yes, they were tight), won't use them again.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I used an old steel El Paso Weaver K 2.5. That thing shrugged off recoil.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Scope choice is relative to what you intend to use the rifle for.
For me a fixed 6x would be paralyzing.
The 416 has a trajectory not unlike a .308 Winchester with 165 - 180 grain bullets so I see a variety of uses for it. Near and far.
Nearly all my rifles wear Leupolds with very few exceptions, my larger bore rifles have 2-7 and 2.5-8 power scopes on them, this works for me on .375H&H's, a 9.3x62, 400 Whelen and .458 win mag.
All of these can be picked up used for 300$ and less.
I love the variables for that low end power at close range and higher end for target and when you just need it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d get a used leupold variable.

While the .416 has some recoil, it’s not horrid. Given your price point, a 1.5-5 or 2-7 or so used leupold is probably the best fit. I’d use scope eye relief as one of your criteria for choice as well.

The used scope gets you into a better class of optic, especially with your budget.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I’d get a used leupold variable.

While the .416 has some recoil, it’s not horrid. Given your price point, a 1.5-5 or 2-7 or so used leupold is probably the best fit. I’d use scope eye relief as one of your criteria for choice as well.

The used scope gets you into a better class of optic, especially with your budget.

Agreed but you should also consider a Bushnell 3200 2x7 or similar - I had one on my .416 for a while and it worked great. That gun now wears a low powered Leupold with an illuminated reticle, but wouldn't hesistate to use it again on the .416. I have two of these scopes: one is on a Mini-14 (used for coyotes) and the other is on my Rem M7 .308 which resides at my daughter's place in MN and used for hunting there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby recoil is not all that bad. I shoot Speer 350 grainers regularly in mine. Mine is topped with a Leupold VX-R 3X9. Scope is holding up well and has punched multiple pigs!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'd be inclined to go for an old reticle-movement scope if I could find one in good condition and mounts with lateral adjustments to go with it. I know that the Nickel Marburg scopes with just elevation turrets had only a brass reticle ring sliding up and down in a formidable dovetail, held with a stout spring. Modern scopes have virtually another scope rocking around in there every time you fire a shot, on any rifle with much recoil.

Modern Leupolds, Swarovskis etc seem to last well enough for recreational hunting but I would always be wondering when their erector tubes or springs were going to give up.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
My CZ 550 416 has a 1-4 Leupold in Alaskan Arms QD rings. No issues at all.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE

I had several 1.5x5 Leupolds on my DG rifles but have replaced them with VX6 1x6 illuminated.

I’m sure I have several of the 1.5x5 Leupolds in my inventory. I can check tomorrow and see how many and with what reticle I have and will certainly sell you one within your budget.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
NE

I had several 1.5x5 Leupolds on my DG rifles but have replaced them with VX6 1x6 illuminated.

I’m sure I have several of the 1.5x5 Leupolds in my inventory. I can check tomorrow and see how many and with what reticle I have and will certainly sell you one within your budget.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you!

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love having a leupold 6x42 fixed power on my 416 rem. I don't hunt any dangerous game at the moment so this scope is perfect for shots between 50-500 yards and the site picture never changes with very crisp clarity. The 6x36 or a fixed 4 power would be great also. That being said, the leupold 1.5-5 has been a long standby for big bores. Nikons hold up well to recoil also. Vortex hold up well and have the best warranty in the business. The important thing is that it holds zero. I take that over fancy.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416s are not hard on scopes, the larger bores are..A good 3x Leupold or Weaver 2.5X workd great..I would avoid scopes over 3X on any DG rifle, or use a 1x4 Leupold and its not expensive..the 1.5x5 is ideal but more costly.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold FX-11 4x33 in Tally QD mounts on my 460 Weatherby.

Plenty of eye relief.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
I have a Leupold FX-11 4x33 in Tally QD mounts on my 460 Weatherby.

Plenty of eye relief.

Have you fired it much? Atkinson's rule of thumb would suggest a life for the scope of less than 100 full-house shots

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote