THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Rate of Twist for the 458 Lott?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate of Twist for the 458 Lott? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will be shooting both 400 and 500 grain bullets. What twist is recommended? My readings suggest a 1-14

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
12,14, or 16.... all will stablize the 400 and 500 gr bullets.. some may differ if more or over twist is required, but this is my opinion. 18 is probably way to slow.

I would go with 14, i believe

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be happiest with a 10" or 12" twist. 14" is the slowest I would consider at all.

I have used a 10" twist on rifles in .423, .475, and .510 caliber, and all have been great performers on big game, paper, and the chronograph with no pressure problems for usual loads and velocities. What more could anyone ask for?

On second thought, I would definitely want a 10" twist .458 barrel for a .458 Lott, were I doing it again. It might be a better penetrator with a good bullet in the faster twist barrel.

There is no such thing as "over-stabilization" of a bullet ... unless you are shooting at a target 2000 yards away and expect to be launching at a high angle to get on paper. In that case the bullet might land on target with the nose of the bullet still pointed up at the angle it was launched from. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you plan to shoot any cast bullet in your Lott, you might want a slower twist.

Faster twists are hard on cast bullets and tend to cause the bullets to strip out of the rifling - ruining accuracy.

1:10 twist would probably require a long, heavy, hard bullet at less than 1500fps.

1:14 is friendlier to cast, but is still marginal with 300-400 grain bullets.

If you don't plan to shoot cast, I see no reason to avoid the quicker twist rate.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Another recomendation to stay away from 1-10" for cast shooting.

My Ruger #1 takeoff barrel used for my latest 458 Lott shoots 500 gr cast very well. I haven't tried the lighter bullets for plinker loads yet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast bullets? Even the "Geico Cave Men" know better than that for a .458 Lott.

Use those long banded/grooved/multi-cannelured monometals (Barnes, North Fork, GSC) in the Lott with a 10" twist and save those cast bullets for puttering around with your .45-70.

sofa

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
500 gr over 84 gr Varget for 2150 fps, and they only cost me a gas check, primer and powder per shot. They shoot just as accurately as jacketed. I'd rather shoot twice or three times as many rounds for the same price as jacketed/mono metal. I can run the good stuff for critters, paper don't know the difference.

Don't have a 45-70, and don't need one. A 458 lott will do everything a 45-70 will do, and more importantly, everything it won't do!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
If memory serves me correctly you own a Ruger 458 Lott? If so they have a 1-14. If this is correct then I need to swing by and borrow your mold once I get my rifle together. Cheers.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a 1:10 twist. The bullets will be more stable when breaking heavy bone, thus giving you deeper penetration.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

you need to try a good GC cast bullet in every big game rifle you own; you might could spend more time at the range that way. Any PH will tell you a client that has fired 1000 or more rounds from his DGR, offhand, is THE MAN he wants to hunt dangerous game with. Shoot, for instance, the Laser-Cast True Shot 430gr GC .459" bullet at 2100+fps in your 458 of any flavor 40-50 rounds a week offhand for six months, and you will be a far more competent hunter on your next trip to Africa.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

It was a Ruger #1H take off barrel that a smith cut two inches off the breach and threaded and fit it to a VZ-24 and chambered it as a 458 Lott.

For a gun that cost me next to nothing, I really like it Big Grin I still need to put proper bottom metal on it and bed it, but asside from that it's a decent rough duty rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez!
I am way beyond needing to shoot cast bullets in my big game rifles for practice. Having started getting my kicks with a 12 guage shotgun when I was 8 years old, it is just silly to think such a thing of "Old Flinchless" here. Besides, I have a cache of "thousands" of copper and brass monometals I have to run through 101 guns before I kick off. I have no time for casting lead bullets, then redeveloping and resighting the rifles for the loads I would actually prefer.

I do buy cast bullets in bulk for .44 and .45 revolver plinking.

Beware the man with one gun, yes, but also beware the man with 101 guns, he likely can shoot too, or he has a fixation on Walt Disney movies about dalmations. Wink

One rifle. One bullet. One shot. Meat. The one rifle is the one in my hands, with unleaded bore please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I do believe you have a 1-14.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right. If you want to borrow the mold, drop me a line. I also have a 16 oz teardrop sinker mold that I modified to take a 12/0 J hook that they have at Boondocks. So if you need something for plucking rockfish and buts, lemme know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barreled action is expected end of April. Stock about a month later. Thanks for the offer and I will get with you in a couple of months.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
We'll have to hit the range together someday.