Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Taylor Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To those that are familiar with the 416 Taylor will you tell me what you think of it?

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tons have been writtten about it. I would suggest accomplishing a search.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have but I was hoping to get some fresh info

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great round, but my gunsmith stuffed me up when he chambered in 338 Win Mag and necked in 416,

I couldnt chamber resized 458 case but necked up 338 worked, thats when I realised he'd got it wrong, there is about .065 thou difference in the shoulder

Was a few months of waisting time.

Don't get too heavy a barrel, I did I was worried it would be a kicker and it isn't, now I wish I'd got a thinner contoured barrel

Shot it well for 12 months, worked very well with 340g woodlieghs, a little slow on the 400g projectiles and IMO the heavier projectiles are better suited to the big 416's, but still very capable. I think barnes make a 300g, or is it a 280g, anyhow that would surely boogie along very nicely in the Taylor

Then I started to realise there are guns out there that can throw a heavier projectile faster, and flatter

It's still in my safe and will be a favourite for a long time because it was my first cal over .400

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i have a new .416 taylor with about 30 rds thru it.. all 350 gr cast, but full house loads... gun weighs in at about 9 1/2 lbs with an older edfield scope... shoots great, recoils less than my .375 m70... i wonder why i waited as long as i did before i had this 1 made...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a wonderful ctg. a ballistic twin to the Rigby and the Remington. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doccash:
It is a wonderful ctg. a ballistic twin to the Rigby and the Remington. Dr.C

Doc C, I'd like to think that was the case but it isn't. I have mates with 416 Rem Mags and another with a new Rigby and I can't get withing 100 FPS of the Rem Mag and nearly 200 - 250FPS behind a hot Rigby load with 340g woodleighs

The longer cases do hold more powder with longer, heavier projectiles

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimatcat,

have you chronographed those cast loads yet? I'm over 2250fps with them in the Rigby and about 2moa.

The Taylor is a really neat cartridge, but the other two hold more powder, and at equivalent pressures have to outrun it. I think it would be about the perfect round for an old tang safety Ruger myself.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of the 416 AR made from a RUM case.

I was checking out the deminsions

Im trying to decide on a 416 cartridge also

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
full length or shortened? A 416 RUM would be real cool.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortened, same case length as the taylor

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Shortened, same case length as the taylor

Same length, much fatter case, slightly more powder than the Remington Magnum

A 416AR will completely clean out a 416 Taylor chamber, belt and all

My Taylor might get a rechamber real soon

regards
S&F

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...........Or you could build a super duper ultra modern 416 Ruger ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The only reason I can see to making a Taylor is to make a lightweight 416 rifle because you can use a standard action. That is why I made one, well, more than one. 7.5 lbs. naked.

I can get 2400 fps with 400 gr. solids but even the Speer AGS bullets stick out of the case beyond the cannalure with me standing on the press handle. It doesn't matter to me, but 2400 fps is not a given, easily anyway.

And I love mine.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had until recently a 425 Express which is the twin of the 416 Taylor. I found that I could easily get 2400fps with 400gr bullets; however, my personal tolerance to the recoil stopped about 2350fps. It is a very nice cartridge for the reasons mentioned. I'd recommend it over 416 Rem or Rigby because of the ease of making cases. Also for those going to African countries who make it an issue, properly head stamped cases are available for it. Kudude

PS: If I remember correctly, the RUM case is a 404 derivative (investors please pardon my use of that word.) I have a 416 Howell which is based upon a shortened 404 case, and it works quite well. However, velocities were no better than the 416 Taylor and it would only hold three rounds vs. the Taylor's four. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The 416 AR is .550 at the widest, and tapers, the 416 ruger is .532 at the widest, and tapers, the 416 taylor (excluding the belt) is .510 at the widest (measure right in front of the belt)

The 416 AR can EASILY do 2400, and push 2500, if you try to force it to the same pressures as a taylor...

and as S&F said, it will completely clean up a 416 taylor chamber and throat...

you can't make rum brass (to spec) from 404 brass, as the 4040 is smaller in diameter, but you CAN make working 404 brass from rum brass. it's only .007, but it's "real"...

the 416 AR has ~4gr more capacity than a 416 rem.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does a 416 Ruger exist yet?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jimatcat,

have you chronographed those cast loads yet? I'm over 2250fps with them in the Rigby and about 2moa.

................................................ rusty had his chronograph when fjold was here at the range... with 70 gr of RL 15, speed was 2258, 2265 on the two shots i firred.... the bullets are fantastic... i need more!!!!!!!!!!.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildlife Artist:
I have but I was hoping to get some fresh info

I have written quite a bit about my 416 T and how much I love it. My opinion hasn't changed. Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the taylor is a great round, without a doubt.
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
what would a taylor be like in a 300 wm case instead of a 458 wm case or has that been tried what is it called?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
what would a taylor be like in a 300 wm case instead of a 458 wm case or has that been tried what is it called?

I don't know about the others, but I'm not real sure what your asking.

A 416 Taylor is a 416 Taylor no matter what case it's in

the Taylor has always been a 458 necked down to create it's own shoulder position, it's definately not anything necked up

A 338 Win Mag case can be necked up and loaded and fired in a Taylor chamber, but the shoulders will blow forward about 60 thou after firing and the fireformed case will start off a bit shorter

The 458 Is a one pass process, run a 458 Case into a 416 Taylor Die and it reduces the kneck and resizes in one pass and is ready to go , there is no fireforming.

The 300 Win Mag case will have to be carefully expanded, then run into the 416 Taylor Die and then trimmed back to length....why would you want to do all that extra work ?

On the other hand if your asking is there a 416 on a 300 Win mag case....which is a slightly longer case......probably but it's not a Taylor

regards
S&F

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
slightly longer case is what I mean any real gain and such has it been tried whats it called?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
OH !

OK

I just checked CH4D web site and the case yor talking about is called......

416-300 Winchester $109.57

Most likely chambered in 300 Win Mag and necked in 416, I guestimate you would get maybe another 50 FPS out of it

regards
S&F

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I had a taylor but was looking for some spread in ctgs for a switch bbl rifle like 3oo and 410 or 7mm and 416 on the same case and magazine just diff bbls.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.........If I stumbled upon a Ruger M77 mk II stainless in 300 win mag I may well make a 416 AR out of it .........If you need serious smack down but also 400 yrd capabilities then the 416 is the way to go ....shooting a 300-350 gr bullet @ between 2600- 2900 fps .It has just about the same trajectory as an 06 with a 180 gr bullet ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote