THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Opinions on Ruger RSM rifles?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Ruger RSM rifles? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
What is the good bad and the ugly?

How is accuracy durability and overall quality?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have one of the early models with the heavy barrel in 416 Rigby. It's a well made and accurate gun. Although somewhat heavy, the weight does help with the recoil. I replaced the hard Ruger recoil pad with a Limbsaver and took it Elephant hunting. Worked great. Dropped a charging bull at 12 yds.

These were great guns for the money with decent wood, quarter rib sights and controlled round feeding. Ruger had a good thing going and. for some reason, discontinued this model. I guess they didn't want any competition for their 416 Ruger Hawkeye.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were great rifles, somewhat heavy. Far superior in fit, finish and overall quality to the crap Ruger is shoving out the door now.

Their silly new "Magnums" will be history when RSM in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 Lott are still putting big animals on the ground.

They are also scary accurate rifles. My 375 H&H will cloverleaf 5 270 TSXs with max loads.

It's the top one.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the .416s with the slimmed down barrels. The stock is a beautiful piece of wood. Shoots an inch or a little better. Not custom but a hell of a lot of gun for the money.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 416 Rigby that is an older and heavier one similar to Labman’s. Very accurate with a number of powder and bullet combinations and feeds and handles very well. They were great values for the money and the rib is at least a $2-300 option on a custom rifle. The stock is well designed to handle recoil and like Labman I replaced the stupid and useless “recoil” pad supplied by Ruger with a Pachmayr red decelerator.

Buy one if you can find it.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Paul - looks like we're practically "neighbors" with the same gun. Cool

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them in .458 Win Mag and .375 H&H. They are a "best buy" for the money in my opinion. Agree they are a bit on the heavy side but this has never bothered me. I too replaced the original "hockey puck" pads with red Decelerators.

Labman, we are also practically neighbors as I live in Havertown.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be on the flip side on this one. I had a real early 416 that would not feed the second round in the magazine. I tried round nose, flat nose, different weights, and all the same result. I don't want to go into what Ruger said except that the one problem the person I talked to said was that since I put a thicker recoil pad on that that would cause the problems I was having.
I recently watched an episode of Tracks Across Africa where the hunter was using an RSM. He shot once and the PH told him to shoot again. You could see him trying to get the gun to cycle and it was jamming, just like mine did. The PH took the anchor shot.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I had a .375 that came with a beautiful piece of wood. I shot it for awhile and then tried to mount a scope on it. My gun guy and I found out that the action wasn't "true" and we could not get the scope mounted. We sent it back to Ruger. I figured they would put a new action in the stock and send it back. No, they sent me a new gun with a really, really plain piece of wood. I shot it some more. It functioned well but was way to heavy for a .375 so I traded it off. Some of the .416s were pretty good. I have had good luck with my CZs with just a bit or work.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took nearly 50 rounds to get the torque right where it would shoot but now is just fine. Trigger sucks, lots of creep and overtravel, rough. pretty wood and functions just fine.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
They were great rifles, somewhat heavy. Far superior in fit, finish and overall quality to the crap Ruger is shoving out the door now.

Their silly new "Magnums" will be history when RSM in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 Lott are still putting big animals on the ground.

They are also scary accurate rifles. My 375 H&H will cloverleaf 5 270 TSXs with max loads.

It's the top one.

45-70

tell me about your 1885? What caliber, what make? Really nice looking rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a 300 H&H High Wall made by Ballard Rifle in Cody WY (then). I bought it ANNB, from the late Thad Scott.
The 300 H&H in a standard high wall action (no spring loaded extractor like a 1885 Browning) was a very poor choice. Plus it was set up to extract on the rim rather than the belt. Very beautiful rifle but constant extraction issues. Sent it to Wyoming Armory (many of the old Ballard folks are there) and they converted it to 300 Flanged. (A 300 H&H with no belt and a real rim.) It worked out fine (as does all their work). To duplicate the gun today would easily cost $6000.00. I sold it as "you can't own them all", and took it off my guns insurance policy.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 H&H. Yep, put a new pad on it.

Yes, the are very accurate. I had mine steel bedded and a trigger job done as well.

A bit heavy, but helps the recoil. I think it needs to be about 1-1.5 lbs lighter in 375, maybe 1/2 - 1 lb lighter in the Rigby, and the Lott is just about right.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Just bought one in .458 Lott. DYING to shot it but have not had the chance to get to the range yet. Hopefully this weekend. I put a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 ill. on it in Warne QD rings (which subsequently the gunsmith could not get to actually detach and go back on- said they need to be filed... I said no sir!).

Just CANNOT wait to touch off the first round! This is my first truly big-bore rifle and the first rifle I have ever purchased where I'm admittedly afraid to touch it off for the first time... a "healthy" fear!

-John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people complained about them being heavy in the 375 but that's what you use a sling for. I am not one to carry a gun across the shoulder with hand on the barrel, I'll leave that to the PHs.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:
Just bought one in .458 Lott. DYING to shot it but have not had the chance to get to the range yet.

Just CANNOT wait to touch off the first round! This is my first truly big-bore rifle and the first rifle I have ever purchased where I'm admittedly afraid to touch it off for the first time... a "healthy" fear!

-John

John

You won't even notice it. Use firm grip, push the but firmly bit more to the chest rather than the shoulder, aim at something bit bigger ( dinner plate size) for 1 second or so and squeez the trigger. I really mean control squeez not a panic jerk.

After that it is a piece of cake. You can replace the dinner plate with an orange and than with a golf ball if you wish. Use the same technique everytime and you will be laughing.

Pyzda

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Great guns! Replace the pad and trigger, and you're ready to go. The wood on most of them is pretty nice too.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my RMS in 416 Rigby. It is one of older models. It is pretty heavy, but it is a joy to shoot.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 375 H&H. Shoots sub MOA. It is somewhat on heavy side but no recoil. I had the stock slimmed and rounded with 30 LPI checkering & oil finish. It has fantastic wood as well. Thinking of selling it because I am going to have a custom Big Bore made & need the cash. They are the best buy around in my opinion but are no longer being made.

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post

A pictures worth a 1000 words.

Love Mine!

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
These were exceptional express rifles that "looked like an african rifle should look" as stated by a famous writer with more than 90 african safaris.

In 2004 Bill Ruger Jr. sent me one in .458Lott - long story. It did require some modifications. I replaced the POS OEM recoil pad with a LimbSaver, replaced the POS OEM trigger with a Timney adjusted to 3.5 lbs., replaced the front sight with a white bead and lined the rear sight vertical groove with fluorescent gun sight paint (or gold, silver or platinum wire). These were all issues that Ruger should have addressed and could have done so easily while increasing the cost of the rifle a mere $150-$200.

They are on the heavy side but they shot like a custom built rifle. Mine went to africa twice and took a huge Lion and an Elephant. I sold it last year after my .458B&M rifle was built for me. It was a sweetheart and a killer, for sure.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had them in 458 Lott, 416 Rigby, 375 H&H, and even 300 Win Mag, 30-06 and 270...back when they made them in non-African calibers as well. I'm sure the reason they discontinued them was that they were way too expensive to manufacture. The quarter rib was actually machined out of the barrel blank as one piece...something you don't see too often. They referred to them as their "Bond Street" rifles, drawing on the reputation of the British houses. That's a stretch, but they're several steps above the African-caliber offerings from Remington, CZ, and Winchester.

You can find them for $1,500 or better on the used market, and it is definitely a "Best Buy".

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after reading the thread i come to the conclusion-

Its a great rifle:
All you need to do is:

slim the stock
re-checker
replace the trigger
replace the recoil pad
replace front sight
perhaps lighten the rifle--

I think I have all that straight--

now how good are they?

bewildered

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the rifles in .375, .416, .458 Lott & .30-06, & they're NOT for sale. You figure it out.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
The feeling I get when I carry my RSM is like no other. It's big and heavy duty, is very accurate, the trigger is adjustable to suit my needs, the pad is too hard for the gun range but i dont care... I have them in 375 and 416, looking for a 458 but they are disapearing on the used market. Great guns. Everyone should have one. Throw in a photo of one in action...

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I love mine.

Bored out to .475 and chambered to 470 Mbogo, by Dave Estergaard. RSMs are little heavy for a 375 maybe, but perfect for a 470 Mbogo!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I luv the RSM's and own 5 of them. Largest is a rebore of the late model to 500 Jeffery, by Jim Dubiel. The early models with the barrel band in the stock is a little heavy in the 375 H&H but that weight comes in handy on those long praire dog days. Some complain about the weight, or the stock shape but I have never heard a bad word about that wonderfull barrel. It is a thing of beauty

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle as well. I have one in 458 Lott and have hunted Africa with it unmodified without drama. Its a great rifle and the weight isn't an issue for me either....I have friends here and SA with the same rifle in 416 Rigby and they share a similar opinion... I'm looking for a 375 to match the Lott now....

Posts: 31 | Location: Spartanburg SC | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one in .416 rigby and love it. I have taken elephant,buffalo,and leopard with the gun with zero problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for use and the look as well. I had once the oportunity to buy one in .416Rig.

I like and dislike different things in different times.

That time I disliked the idea to have another Ruger and the .416Rig. is a round that I would never bother with.

Now I wish that I both the dumb .416Rig. sold the barrel and have a good action to put .585HE into it.

Pyzda

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Boss Sauce welcome to AR. I'm in the opposite boat. I've got a .375 and I'm looking for a Lott. And maybe a Rigby.
In the 19 years they made the rsm, they only made about 8,000 of them.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If a guy was looking for one, I would suggest trying to find a late model used one in .416 Rigby. There were several iterations. Maybe RIP can fill us in here but I think the last ones they made were maybe the best balanced. I would stay away from a .375. Nice guns but just way to heavy.

This is just my two cents, but I think the absolute best buy on a DG rifle right now is from American Hunting Rifles. Pick up a new CZ with the hogsback stock (they are the cheapest) and send it to Wayne for a #3. He has a new slender stock design and he does incredible work. Then, you will have a superb Africa ready hunting rifle. I know. I have two, a .416 Rigby that was a #3 and a full custom 450 Dakota that he built from the ground up. On top of that, Wayne is a stand up guy and when he tells you it will be done, it will be done.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
What is the good bad and the ugly?

How is accuracy durability and overall quality?

Interesting to hear that only 8,000 were made of the now defunct RSM, killed by the Hawkeye African.

With Dave goading me, here it goes again:

Ruger introduced its .416 Rigby chambering in 1989. First US factory maker of .416 Rigby.
Remington and Weatherby brought out their .416 chamberings that year too.
Both George Hoffman and Bob Chatfield-Taylor had something to do with the resuscitation of the .416-caliber rifle, for sure.

IIRC, that is the year, 1989, that the tang-safetied "M77RS Magnum" (.458 WinMag Ruger Model 77RS Tropical Rifle, soon to be phased out) was joined by the MkII M77RSM with 3-position safety and true CRF, but only in the .375 H&H and the.416 Rigby. The .458 Lott completed the M77 Mk II RSM trinity later.

Mark II RSM Rifle, 3 Generations, by my recollection, not quotable for dates, the rest is accurate:

First Generation: 1989 announcement, 1990 production: Heavy 24" barrel with barrel band sling base inletted through the forearm.

Second Generation, about 1994: Same heavy 24" barrel but with barrel band sling base out on the barrel beyond forend tip.

Third Generation, about 2004: 23" barrel of lighter contour, otherwise same as Gen2.
Initially only .375 H&H and .416 Rigby, IIRC, but .458 Lott was out in 2006 for sure.

I have a Gen2 .416 Rigby RSM that I rescued from Great Northern Guns in Anchorage, Alaska, about July 1998.

It was advertised at 10.25 pounds, but actually weighs 10.75 pounds dry.
Muzzle diameter of the 24" barrel is .810".
Later Gen3 .416 Rigby I measured and weighed was .750" at the 23" muzzle, and weighed 9.5 pounds. Harry-Selby/John-Rigby-Perfect for a .416 Rigby.

Never a problem with mine and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.
In July 2001 I developed loads for it by trying every 380 to 410-grain soft and solid that I could find, all with 105 grains of H4831,
the Buhmiller/O'Connor powder charge for 400-grainers in the .416 Rigby.

The GSC FN won, with the first three shots with that bullet at 115 yards (the bulldozer driver was drunk when he first set up the 100-yard berm, since corrected to 100 yards):

I took it to Botswana in August of 2001.
One shot through the heart of a buffalo:

The bedding system of the RSM is unique. It makes for great accuracy. But I cannot say it is the best set up for stock splitting prevention:
A recoil plate cantilevering up into the forearm, that falls off the bolster on the action (bolster around 45-degree-angled screw hole for front action screw) when action is removed from wood,
thus no recoil lug integral to the action,
a solitary crossbolt that merely provides compression to the wood ahead of the magazine well, and none behind the magazine well,
and if you altered the bedding at all (glass bedding), you voided the warranty on the rifle stock, so I heard.
Possibly the Gen3 .458 Lott of lighter weight was tough on stocks.
I don't want to alter my bugholer RSM.
If I did:
Rebore that fat barrel to .500-.510.
Get rid of the recoil plate/strap from action to forearm.
Sandwich a Remington M700-type recoil lug between barrel and action, for primary recoil lug.
Add a recoil lug to barrel for secondary recoil lug.
Add a second cross bolt behind the magazine box.
Glass bed everything.
Chamber for something in .500 to .510-caliber

Otherwise, the fit and finish are great, and where else are you going to find a factory rifle with an integral quarter rib?
Generally, superbly accurate rifles. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

That is an incredible buff. How big was it? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
This thread raised my pulse rate. Went searching on the internet last night. Found an NIB M77 RSM in .458 Lott in Lake Havasu City, Az. Couldn't resist, (even though I already have a .458 Lott). It should be shipped to my FFL early this coming week....I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esskay:
RIP,

That is an incredible buff. How big was it? Smiler

Esskay,
You are too kind. He was a spindly 42" spread, but good enough bosses. My first buffalo in the first hour of my first day hunting in the Okavango.
Glad I got to hunt the Okavango.
Seems the greenies will have it all to themselves starting next year.
Let's hope the remaining hunting in Botswana hangs on for a while longer.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
RIP:

Have you tried the Hawkeye African in .375 or the Alaskan .416 Ruger? If so, what did you think? I think the .375 and .416 Rugers as well as the Ruger Compact Magnums are very well designed cartridges. I have always had a fondness for Rugers rifles although I confess I liked the old stock design a bit better. Their barrels today are much better than in days gone by.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Yep, I like the .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger too.
I have not hunted with them but have played with them.
The 7.75 pound .375 Ruger African with 23" barrel can be lightened a quarter pound by switching the walnut stock to one of the old Ruger synthetic canoe-paddle stocks, or the less stout Ruger tupperware.
Those two synthetics are stout enough and only weigh 1.5 pounds.
The 20" barreled stainless Alaskan .416 Ruger can also be brought down to about 7.5 pounds by ditching the Hogue rubber for a canoe paddle stock.
That one would be thusly the easy substitute for the .416 B&M.
Just a little heavier and longer, but still proud, and a bit more powerful.
I gave up thinking about a .458 Ruger micro-shouldered wildcat since the .458 B&M is so light and handy.
The perfect elephant hunter's baton, or "Winchester Wasilla" for a brown bear hunter. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quiet like the Ruger RSM ( one piece receiver with a scope integral mounts cuts) one piece bolt, front sights push on barrel collar piece, barrel profile, mauser extractor, receiver mounted ejector CRF/CRE.

I hate the 45 degree receiver front screw, and the fact that the receiver has no inner (C collar).

However if the RSM was chambered for .460Wea. or any of the .500s calibres I was willing to buy one or maybe even two of them brand new.

Pyzda

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all three, they are all keepers and very accurate. I won't be parting with them.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote