New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-120 Chrono Results Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Tempature was 80 degrees. Chrono was about 10 yards in front of the muzzle. All results in FPS, with a 405 grain Remington bullet.

75 grains IMR 4320- 2276, 2314, 2297

80 grains IMR 4320- 2408, 2416, 2412

85 grains IMR 4320- 2501, 2476, 2519

Recoil is stout, especially with the hottest loads. Add about 50 fps on for the gun being 10 yards from the chrono. 2550 fps has 5884.6 ft-lbs of energy. Bad thing is the sights will not come close to sighting in anywhere closer than 300 yards. The max loads knocked the sights out of the dovetail, and I guess bent something, because the gun shoots almost a foot high at 50 yards, which according to my calculations makes it dead on at just under 500 yards.

45-70 also shot at 2300 fps with a 300 grain Remington JHP the chrono the same distance away, with 5 grains under max lever gun loads. Figure 2350 coming out of the muzzle, you could possibly get 2500 fps with safe lever gun pressures from a 22" or 24" barrel. Tack on a hundred fps for top Ruger loads if you have a strong action, and you're in some serious power from that old cartridge.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, would the cotton filler be the reason for bad deviations in velocity?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, what rifle is your 45/120 and your 45/70.

Also I would not use cotton as a filler, it can burn. Use dacron polyester pillow stuffing avialable at most craft/sewing stores.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 converted to 45-120. Didn't just rechamber it, because it would have been way light. Instead I put a heavier, longer barrel on it.

Anyhow, I shoot 300 grain Barnes X flat points with 458 Lott load data (H4198). I haven't chrony'd it yet.

I get a nice three shot cluster at 100 yards. I tried the pointed X bullets too, but it actually likes the flats better. I'm sure they will be devistating on deer.

I have a scope on it, and even with that weight, it does shove pretty hard, so I can't imagine shooting heavy 400 or 500 grain loads through it.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
H&R Buffalo Classic 45-120
Marlin 1895gs 45-70

They said dacron can ring a chamber?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
H&R Buffalo Classic 45-120
Marlin 1895gs 45-70

They said dacron can ring a chamber?

What are you talking about Daron is the filler of choice and has been for a very long time

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
Dacron, and other fillers, have ringed chambers when used improperly.

With Dacron just make sure you use plenty of it and that it is compressed between the bullet and the powder.

In my 450 No2 with Nitro for black loads I use 15 grains of poly. With full power loads, more powder, less space for filler, I use 3 to 5 grains depending on the powder charge.

I MUST use some type of filler with ALL loads in my 450 No2.

I have shot over 3500 rounds in this double rifle, with filler with no problems.

With out filler every shot is a hangfire.

Now for full power loads I use a foam plug I cut out with a 50 BMG case.

They look just like the Kynoch wads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler--Some years ago I had a bull barreled Shiloh Sharps in 45-120. It weighed 16 pounds.

I spotted a load in an old Lyman loading manual, and just HAD to try it. It was/is a real barn burner.

300 gr JFN
90 gr. H4895
2742 fps
34,100 cup

Or, a bit lighter:
300 gr JFN
65 gr H4895
2159 fps
19,700 cup

I shot a few of the 90 grain loads--accurate, but the recoil was really stiff in the 16 pound gun. You don't need dacron for filler in this one. The filler is the H4895.

Have fun.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
That reference was to BPE loads.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

Can't speak to the load.

Am concerned about the foot high problem. Before shooting the rifle any more, PLEASE determine what happened to cause it to be suddenly that much too high.

When something unexpected like that happens it is telling you to locate the problem before doing much more. Way better to be safe than sorry!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
It looks relatively close when I bore-sight it, but when you shoot it, it's way high. Any ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, check the stock bolt, if it loosened up from all that recoil, it could change POI.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel jump?

Don't know if that would be the cause, but if the barrel really rises with recoil, it could be part of it. Usually affects handguns more than rifles, but same principle.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
It was dead on from the factory. Shot some respectable groups with it even though I was fearing the recoil of it from the bench. The sights came off during a shooting session with max loads. I was going to get the receiver sight with target knobs, but everywhere is backordered, so I need to make these sights work. Getting to the stock screw is gonna be tough, I have a recoil reducer really tight in the stock!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 45-120 essentiallly the same capacity as the 458 Lott, and the loading data and results similar?

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

When I put a Mercury recoil reducer in the butt of my 500NE it then shot 6 to 7 inches high at 50 yards.

Could that be the issue?

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 45-120 is abnout 13% larger than the lott

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:

75 grains IMR 4320- 2276, 2314, 2297

80 grains IMR 4320- 2408, 2416, 2412

85 grains IMR 4320- 2501, 2476, 2519

Recoil is stout, especially with the hottest loads. Add about 50 fps on for the gun being 10 yards from the chrono. 2550 fps has 5884.6 ft-lbs of energy.

That should get you honorable mention in the Whomper Club!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Your Barrel harmonics are throwing the bullets very high. The muzzel probably needs more weight to damp the effect. A adjustable muzzel brake with weight added will get it to shoot to the sights better. The Mercury recoil reducer is also contributing to the barrel harmonics. My guess is the heavier the bullet the worse this will become.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I don't really want a brake on it, but what can I do to add some weight to the barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weight can't be added to the forend due to the poorly attached forend stud, NFG tried it and the recoil promptly removed the forend stud. Frowner

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
A barrel fitted sling swivel would be neat, but wouldn't add much weight. How about a depleted uranium barrel sling swivel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tungsten is more dense than lead, and doesn't have that residual radiation problem of depleted uranium.

Lead 11.34 g/cm3
Uranium 18.9 g/cm3
Tungsten 19.25 g/cm3

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote