Find
Notify
Tools

Cormac Mcarthy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted
Finished reading All The Pretty Horses and loved it. Now reading Blood Meridian and boy is it bleak. A good read if a bit wordy but man is it the worst about us. Almost half thru and I want to do a kindness for someone to shake off the gloom from this book.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
“The Border Trilogy” includes “No Country for Old Men.”

Yes, he got darker, but still great.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Dude wrote without reserve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got half-way through Blood Meridian and gave up on it. Dark, depressing, violent and way over the top with gratuitous gore. Divorces are expensive and I understand he had a lot of alimony to pay.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed, Cormac wrote of our fears, but McMurtry wrote of our reality.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great story teller but really dark. I can read but 1 or 2 a year with a rest between.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Yes I’m stalled out reading Blood Meridian, one brutal event after another. The story is going nowhere.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Finished the book. Wtf?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read that one yet...maybe never. I know that in "All The Pretty Horses" he brought to the forefront every Texan's horror of being in a Mexican prison.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I like his books, but find the same; they are rough and bleak. I thought Blood Meridian was about the devil (the judge) drawing the young protagonist over to the dark side. Been a long time since I read it, though. I was surprised to see it was based on a true story. The Judge (John Joel Glanton) and the Glanton gang really were scalp-hunters in Mexico. And they really did just kill and scalp Mexicans living in villages. One of the Glanton gang ran around San Francisco with Old Soldier's pickled head in a jar as his drinking companion, apparently.

My Mom is in a book club with a bunch of other nice ladies in their 70's and 80's. She asked for a recommendation since the others kept choosing books focused on woke subjects. My son said I should suggest Blood Meridian.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I picture the Judge as a cross between Elmer Fudd and King Kong Bundy. I did enjoy when he would pontificate around the fire. Book Club ain’t ready!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
skl1, how decatent, to expose these little old book club ladies to violent debauchery after they have been inundated in tea cozy mysteries. I salute you. Cool