The Accurate Reloading Forums
Cormac Mcarthy

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4521043/m/9381070862

24 October 2021, 18:26
tomahawker
Cormac Mcarthy
Finished reading All The Pretty Horses and loved it. Now reading Blood Meridian and boy is it bleak. A good read if a bit wordy but man is it the worst about us. Almost half thru and I want to do a kindness for someone to shake off the gloom from this book.
24 October 2021, 18:46
DCS Member
“The Border Trilogy” includes “No Country for Old Men.”

Yes, he got darker, but still great.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS
25 October 2021, 06:50
BaxterB
Good stuff. Dude wrote without reserve.
26 October 2021, 00:31
GunsCore
I got half-way through Blood Meridian and gave up on it. Dark, depressing, violent and way over the top with gratuitous gore. Divorces are expensive and I understand he had a lot of alimony to pay.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!
26 October 2021, 13:04
NormanConquest
Indeed, Cormac wrote of our fears, but McMurtry wrote of our reality.

Never mistake motion for action.
26 October 2021, 17:49
cgbach
A great story teller but really dark. I can read but 1 or 2 a year with a rest between.
C.G.B.
26 October 2021, 18:04
tomahawker
Yes I’m stalled out reading Blood Meridian, one brutal event after another. The story is going nowhere.
29 October 2021, 02:01
tomahawker
Finished the book. Wtf?
02 November 2021, 08:12
NormanConquest
I haven't read that one yet...maybe never. I know that in "All The Pretty Horses" he brought to the forefront every Texan's horror of being in a Mexican prison.

03 November 2021, 18:26
skl1
Well, I like his books, but find the same; they are rough and bleak. I thought Blood Meridian was about the devil (the judge) drawing the young protagonist over to the dark side. Been a long time since I read it, though. I was surprised to see it was based on a true story. The Judge (John Joel Glanton) and the Glanton gang really were scalp-hunters in Mexico. And they really did just kill and scalp Mexicans living in villages. One of the Glanton gang ran around San Francisco with Old Soldier's pickled head in a jar as his drinking companion, apparently.

My Mom is in a book club with a bunch of other nice ladies in their 70's and 80's. She asked for a recommendation since the others kept choosing books focused on woke subjects. My son said I should suggest Blood Meridian.
07 November 2021, 03:25
tomahawker
I picture the Judge as a cross between Elmer Fudd and King Kong Bundy. I did enjoy when he would pontificate around the fire. Book Club ain’t ready!!
09 November 2021, 08:07
NormanConquest
skl1, how decatent, to expose these little old book club ladies to violent debauchery after they have been inundated in tea cozy mysteries. I salute you. Cool