New
Find
Notify
Tools

One weapon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you could only take one weapon for an emergency situation, civil unrest, etc:
What firearm would you take?
That being said most of you probably have a number of firearms you could access.
For myself I would take a tactical shotgun. It can be used against the bad guys and in a pinch for taking birds and deer. The shotgun can also use a variety of ammo.

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's kinda a loaded question (sorry), there are variables. If one is to remain stationary most calibers will do; if you plan on being on the move then I think that the 22 L.R. is a great choice. You carry lots more ammo than with anything else, + really, anything you will encounter that you have described can be killed with a 22 if shot well. You know, that has always been a question of conversation for many years "if I could only have one"; but that was mostly in a hunting context, in which my choice was a 375 H+H, or the 6.5X54 M/S, or... never mind; glad we don't have to make that call. Just remember the old adage, "Watch out for a man with only one rifle; he probably knows how to use it."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great question. Man, you've really got me thinking on this one! Big Grin

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My opinion is that during any major sort of bug-out the powers that be will do like what happened during Katrina and simply confiscate all weapons. Only people allowed to have weapons during Katrina to the best of my rememberance were those who were able to hire private security, someone please feel free to fact check this as I may be mis-remembering this though I don't think so. My personal philosophy is if a person lives in a city and has to evacuate to a refugee center somewhere, a fishing rod and some nets will provide more food than any sort of firearm will because odds are it will be taken away from you.

However, if you discount that and assume you'll be able to keep a rifle I'd go with a 22 magnum. It's a huge step up from a 22 LR and you can carry quite a bit of ammo easily. Problem with shotguns IMHO is the ammo is too bulky for what you get from them.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It did indeed happen, but it won't happen again. After that, federal law was passed to prohibit it. I believe that a number of state laws were also passed to prevent it as well. https://www.uslawshield.com/ca...scate-guns-disaster/

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 LR for me in both rifle and colt single action pistol with both cylinders. Got it covered.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 519 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Mark's almost convinced me, except that I have a LOT more 22 than 22 Mag, so if it happened tomorrow, it'd be a .22.

And maybe if I thought I'd be moving and able to raid shelves (plague killed people before all the Walmart's were raided or something). 22 is probably more available for scrounging. Also, easier to run subsonic and and quiet.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 10/22 has always been the most used firearm for me. Wicked.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, "The true test of someones intelligence is how much they agree with you." Big Grin

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along those same lines, when I 1st got involved in the prepping mindset in the early 70s, I also bought replacement parts for my Marlin 39 as well as coil spring stock lengths from Brownell's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.475 LINEBAUGH 4 3/4" Freedom Arms. (See my problems Post SHTF will be the same as Pre-SHTF. Alaska Coastal Brown Bears "everywhere").

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, for your particular situation, a 22 L.R. would be ill-advised.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good 22rf is hard to beat.

But much depends on the situation.

A good modern fighting rife in 5.56/223 is right up there also.

Again so much depends on the situation.

Ukraine one would take the fighting rifle.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would work, providing the young bucks could read. Wink