THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Where should a beginner go to experience true mountain hunting.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where should a beginner go to experience true mountain hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a feeling I'd like to try hunting in the mountains once, just to get it out of my system. (Or to find out I'm hooked).

What I am looking for is a hunt that truly challenges my physical abilities and shows me wild, rugged and steep country as well as giving me a glimpse of a new culture and it's people.

Record-book and highly sought after trophies are not top priorities, the experience is what I am after.

So please share your experiences with a beginner. Suggestions on where to go, what to hunt, whom to go with and any other bits of information and tips would be much appreciated.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you want to have a good time & not too particular about the species, try New Zealand for Tahr & Chamois.

You can tailor the hunt with the guide so that the cost is reasonable - hunt public land and get some Tahr (including females for meat). You could hunt for fallow deer, red deer etc. Shoot rabbits & hares in the river flats and have a real fun time at reasonable cost. A 7 day hut would be a great mix - say 3 days of mountain hunting & the rest could still be good hunting on lower mountains. You will need to be fit!

You could also enjoy the great Central Otago wines!

If you really like the mountain hunt, then you can target the expensive species and 10+ day hunts in Central Asia etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Azerbaijan for tur....absolutely no question about it if you are looking for something exotic.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew I was hooked on mountain hunting before I was ever able to step foot on one while carrying a rifle.

New Zealand would be a great first choice for the physical challenge and the different species. You probably wouldn't get a big culture gap though.

Azerbaijan was my first mountain hunt and it was an awesome experience. I'm probably a bit partial to it for that reason. The challenge, the animals, the food, the culture, it all made for a wonderful first mountain hunt.

The varieties of chamois available across Europe would also be a good way for you to get a quick hunt in and experience the wonders mountain hunting.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6108036/m/5681012281

Klein,

Check Northern Pakistan as a potential hunt. My husband raves about the country and people.

Link has photos.

He hunted with Karakurum Treks and Tours, but also check with Pir Danish who posts here on AR.
Pir Danish has had a lot of very positive responses from hunters.

Best of luck.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks every one for putting me in the right direction!

I think I'll look in to Azerbaijan and Pakistan, and just because it sounds like the ultimate mountain country I'll also look in to hunting in Nepal.

If I ever get my ducks lined up I'll post a hunt report one day.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will recommend Kyrgyzstan. Wonderful mountains, not very high, not very hard, a lot of animals, affordable price.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roman BGH,
It seems that the Government was reorganizing hunting areas, licenses, etc, in Kyrgyzstan... Do you know if all cchanges have already been done, licenses being issued and outfitters ready to book?
Thank you?

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
my first mountain hunt proper was Romainia for Carpathian Chamois, it was amazing and I would go again in a heart beat, simply the best thing ive ever done.

http://www.carpathianhunters.ro/

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klein:
I have a feeling I'd like to try hunting in the mountains once, just to get it out of my system. (Or to find out I'm hooked).

What I am looking for is a hunt that truly challenges my physical abilities and shows me wild, rugged and steep country as well as giving me a glimpse of a new culture and it's people.

Record-book and highly sought after trophies are not top priorities, the experience is what I am after.

So please share your experiences with a beginner. Suggestions on where to go, what to hunt, whom to go with and any other bits of information and tips would be much appreciated.

Likw with every hunt, I believe you should not start with the biggest and most difficult. You will pay lots of money and get yourself in a difficult environment, that can be a very disheartening.
I would recomment to do either a chamois hunt or mid asien Ibex. Both are affordable and bring you into the mountains.
If you enjoy it you can start to think about Nepal and that kind of stuff.

Just my 2 cents...

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montero:
Roman BGH,
It seems that the Government was reorganizing hunting areas, licenses, etc, in Kyrgyzstan... Do you know if all cchanges have already been done, licenses being issued and outfitters ready to book?
Thank you?

According to my information everything is OK with licenses. Reorganization of areas still in process.
Anyway, outfitters are ready. It should be good season.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have been contacted by outfitters and they are booking hunts in Kyrgystan.

Posts: 7 | Location: Vaughn, MT | Registered: 12 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate mountain hunting but love the animals there.

Any mountain hunt is a challenge. I second the comments on tahr and chamois. The mountains are not high but they are steep.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Kazakhstan and a combo maral and ibex using horses ! Mountain hunt in beautiful surroundings !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote