THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM


Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Depressing Christmas walk Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I went on a two mile walk this morning between 10:30 and 11:30 ET. Weather is 65 degrees F and sunny. I passed over 100 homes across several neighborhoods. There was not one human being outside at any of them. No kids riding bikes, roller blades, scooters, or anything. I guess they were all inside playing on electronic devices. Pretty sad commentary on our culture.
 
Posts: 3203 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
True.

Sadly this is a universal trait nowadays!

I saw this very thing this morning.

I am in the Swiss Alps skiing.

I sat in a ski lift, with two young French kids.

They had skis on, but they both had their phones out and playing a ski game online with others.

When I questioned them, they said the game was more fun!!?


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 61719 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I was outside all day today. Beautiful weather.


~Ann





 
Posts: 17746 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I went on a two mile walk this morning between 10:30 and 11:30 ET. Weather is 65 degrees F and sunny. I passed over 100 homes across several neighborhoods. There was not one human being outside at any of them. No kids riding bikes, roller blades, scooters, or anything. I guess they were all inside playing on electronic devices. Pretty sad commentary on our culture.


I remember those first rides on a new bike no matter the weather. It did get up to 82 or so today. It didn’t stick out to me until reading this post that I did not see kids taking the new bike out for a ride or anything similar.


I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS
 
Posts: 3245 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
True.

Sadly this is a universal trait nowadays!

I saw this very thing this morning.

I am in the Swiss Alps skiing.

I sat in a ski lift, with two young French kids.

They had skis on, but they both had their phones out and playing a ski game online with others.

When I questioned them, they said the game was more fun!!?


Invest in the Metaverse.


______________________
DRSS
______________________
Hunt Reports

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141
 
Posts: 7374 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depressing? Maybe more sad than anything. It’s our fault as parents and grandparents. I make my grandkids go outside quite often to play. Yeah… I said make or highly encourage them. If the weather is bad, we break out the old fashion board games and have some real entertainment.


Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
 
Posts: 669 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our winters are very cold - relatively.

And shooting birds is our number one favorite past time.

Arctic tern migrate through Dubai, and generally they come with what we call the SHAMAL.

It is a northerly blowing wind, that creates rough seas.

Late one afternoon, they were congregating on a sand bar by the Rulers guest house on the beach.

My brother and me went there and started shooting.

Jumping in the freezing water to collect dead birds.

Our Ruler and his guests were about 200 yards away, watching in amazement!

At these two idiots freezing to death!

My father, as everyone else, goes to see the ruler every morning.

Next day, our Ruler says “Your son, Saeed, is going to kill himself, and his brother, by freezing to death! Yesterday they were shooting birds and jumping in the sea in the full SHAMAL!”

My father answered “No thing affects those two, as long as they have their shotguns!”

Laughter all around!


www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
 
Posts: 61719 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I would sometimes stay with my cousin for weeks on end. I would always pack a book but I never read it because there was always too much fun playing outside.


Never mistake motion for action.
 
Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say to people------When was the last time you saw a kid walking down the street with a cast on his arm or leg?
You can.t break anything sitting on your fat ass playing video games!!!

Hip
 
Posts: 1141 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I saw a group of kids playing baseball in a vacant lot.......or even just two kids throwing a baseball back and forth.
 
Posts: 13081 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Back in the days of my youth if you lived within a mile from your school you walked. I don't think parents even drove kids to school then. Walking was common and everyone did it. What kid didn't explore and play going too and from school back then? No buses unless you were further out than that.

Now, no one dares walk to school. When I had to commute for work, school buses stopped at every driveway to pick up kids sitting in their mommy's car parked at the end of their driveway with their houses just a few yards away from the road. Pretty damn sad!

Do kids even play dodge ball at recess anymore?


~Ann





 
Posts: 17746 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Back in the days of my youth if you lived within a mile from your school you walked. I don't think parents even drove kids to school then. Walking was common and everyone did it. What kid didn't explore and play going too and from school back then? No buses unless you were further out than that.

Now, no one dares walk to school. When I had to commute for work, school buses stopped at every driveway to pick up kids sitting in their mommy's car parked at the end of their driveway with their houses just a few yards away from the road. Pretty damn sad!

Do kids even play dodge ball at recess anymore?


Same here! A lot of walking before I got my drivers license. Very grateful to grow up when I did.
 
Posts: 2394 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed are you related to the ruler of Dubai?
 
Posts: 3483 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, you old farts should re read your posts. They sound like " what is the next generation coming to...."
"Back in my day..."
I live in a residential neighborhood. I went out to walk the dog in the afternoon. There were several families out with their young kids who were riding their new tricycles. The local playground sees a lot of use after school. Admitedly, mainly by younger kids (and their parents). Plenty of kids are out riding their bikes, skateboards, electric skateboards etc.
I can remember when my family got our first TV!
Times change, and you old codgers don't like it. Guess what? Change will occur whether you like it or not. Do I like it? Not entirely, but I worry about the things I can control, like my grandson's behavior, his TV watching, video game playing etc. I can't stop that completely, but I make sure that he does his homework first, and he understands that.
Peter.


Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
 
Posts: 10479 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2022 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia