THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Do We Really Need A U. S. Postal Service?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do We Really Need A U. S. Postal Service? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I get very little from the U. S. P. S. Probably 85% junk mail. Who sends letters anymore? Maybe a few birthday cards. (I've had checks stolen from my mailbox and bank accounts compromised.) All we are doing is providing jobs for services we can all do without. Couldn't we at least privatize it and let it either make a profit, or die.

I don't even have a real "mailman". It's contracted out to some guy in a white Prius who doesn't pay enough attention to get the mail for the correct address placed in my box.

I've been watching a few things that I needed come by mail recently; homeowners insurance confirmation, leather sample, etc. On average it is taking ten (10) days to arrive. I have sent registered, certified mail that took seven (7) days to travel seven (7) miles; others that were lost in the system. How do you lose "registered" mail.

I don't see the point. We have FedEx, UPS, Amazon, all doing a much better job delivering "things". Imagine the amount of junk mail that would just disappear. The distributors wouldn't be able to afford to send their junk through a FedEx, UPS or an Amazon.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The USPS sure seems to be a shadow of its former self.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t seem to have many issues with the postal service. The usps is a government entity, unionized, and their budget controlled by congress. What could go wrong with that?
I’d favor getting Congress out of the way, let the usps set their prices, and it survives or fails. If the latter, other businesses will take over.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our post office is mandated by our Constitution. So much for the much-vaunted Trump veneration of our Constitution.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Our post office is mandated by our Constitution. So much for the much-vaunted Trump veneration of our Constitution.

Tom? I don't believe Ken is much of a Trump supporter.......just fyi.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A lot of my Amazon stuff is delivered by USPS and often on Sunday. I think that was a criticism of trump that Amazon was not paying full price for their deliveries say compared to UPS or FedEx doing it and that Amazon should be charged more for the deliveries.

Dunno, I wish more people wrote letters. We seem to have let that disappear into history without a thought or care.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
A lot of my Amazon stuff is delivered by USPS and often on Sunday. I think that was a criticism of trump that Amazon was not paying full price for their deliveries say compared to UPS or FedEx doing it and that Amazon should be charged more for the deliveries.

Dunno, I wish more people wrote letters. We seem to have let that disappear into history without a thought or care.

I regret to this day after emailing with Harry Shelby for over two years that I didn't ask him to put the kind words he said of my .375 on paper with pen.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7572 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
USPS pretty much killed the live shipping of certain livestock with their massive price increases. What's worse is they contract FedEx to haul 'lives' between post offices.

I reckon there are more items than you know that USPS contracts out for a major portion of delivery.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lose a little on every item, make it up in volume.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Tom? I don't believe Ken is much of a Trump supporter.......just fyi......

Neither am I, and I'm not happy with the Senator from MBNA either. Another tiresome directionless election.
I will sulk a few minutes over coffee this morning and go to work, having sent my mail-in ballot last week.

The Post Office part of our Constitution doesn't need cancelled, in any case.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the USPS to deliver my products and they are 98% effective. Occasionally I will get a late delivery but that is most often due to CV19 issues. I sure as hell wouldn't get rid of their infrastructure but private operation might make it more efficient.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm also a USPS supporter, and right now I'm extra grouchy as I ordered a $100+ scope mount that was sent and lost via DHL, company shipped another right away and I received a delivery notice that it was delivered to my house and signed for by me yesterday, except it's not here and I was an election judge all day yesterday.

I've never had an issue with the USPS.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the USPS. Usually ship everything Priority. Like any other gov't type operation there is probably %15-20 fat.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USPS over UPS any day. Wink DHL isn't even on my list. if you call me, you should at least be able to speak English to an acceptable degree.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a usps mail contractor for 45 years.Thats straight truck and cds,which to most is box delivery.There are about 10,000 cds contractors and under 10,000 highway contractors.Usps is Fed-x biggest customer,we go the last mile for ups and fed-x.Usps isn't going private or going away. The amount of political mail sent out by politicians is insane and at a reduced rate for them.Its still considered the most secure way to send valuables. What I find interesting is there are few young people bidding on routes.When I started there would be 20+ bidders on a route,now its below 10 and 50 years old and up.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah, their service sucks, we all have horror stories, however, before taking out a system in work I would like to see a sane alternative. We are a nation of conservative + capitalist values (so far) so I would recommend getting the government + the union out of it + let free enterprise float. The fact is that we do need a form of communication that is NOT online.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rarely go into a post office. Any time I do though, the person behind the counter is painfully dumb. That said, I’m impressed that I can put a letter in an envelope, spend whatever a stamp costs and have it shipped across the Continent. That is worth more to me than 50 cents or whatever a stamp is. My view is that the product is sound, it’s the management, the unions, the legacy costs, the structure so many things.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:

WRONG...What school did you go to?

Article 1, Section 8 says that [The Congress shall have the power] to establish Post Offices and Post Roads. It does not say that the federal government shall have the exclusive power to deliver mail. Nor does it require that the mail be delivered by an agent of the federal government to every home in the country, six days a week.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
quote:

WRONG...What school did you go to?

Article 1, Section 8 says that [The Congress shall have the power] to establish Post Offices and Post Roads. It does not say that the federal government shall have the exclusive power to deliver mail. Nor does it require that the mail be delivered by an agent of the federal government to every home in the country, six days a week.

And...voila, USPS delivers packages and FedEx hauls some of USPS's mail. In the early days of FedEx there was some legal tussling over their right to deliver documents. FedEx won. You can argue that agents of the federal government deliver USPS mail, but it's a quasi-private corporation now, a move that I suspect had something to do with shucking pension costs. One of our local post offices has a history of losing things in transit, I use a different one for important stuff.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
USPS, a classic case of government mismanagement.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote