THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM


Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Banff Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Plan to be in Banff in late summer. Anyone got any recommendations for things to do, places to eat?

We just returned from the Galapagos. Eight days cruising from island to island, hiking, and snorkeling. Cool, and a bucket list item for my wife, but it wouldn't make my "Top 10".
 
Posts: 12941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Check out Lake Louise and the scenery. Be prepared to smell pot. Last time I was there, a guy in his mid 20's was smoking a joint while talking to a police officer and both were laughing.
 
Posts: 324 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeMe:
Check out Lake Louise and the scenery. Be prepared to smell pot. Last time I was there, a guy in his mid 20's was smoking a joint while talking to a police officer and both were laughing.


it's legal in Canada. Cannabis stores on every block these days. Lake Louise is a good choice. Take a drive up the Icefields Parkway, or drive west a little to Radium Hot Springs. Watch out for grizz, seems to be quite a few this year. Enjoy. - dan


"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton
 
Posts: 5265 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in decent physical shape, climb up to the tea house.


NRA Patron member
 
Posts: 2531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
We camped at Radium Hot Springs each time we have been to Canada. At the Hot Springs, a man from China walked out naked for his swim. It was quite unexpected.
 
Posts: 324 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live within a hundred miles and can tell you , tourism crowds have become beyond ridiculous. Kananskis country, closer to Calgary is a good option instead. If you want to visit Lake Louise, you now have to make a reservation, if you're one of the few who get one, you have to park at the ski resort across the highway and take a shuttle. If you're going to visit, I'd suggest May or September, when the crowds are least. Right now they are having staffing issues, so count on the service level being low as well. The Icefield Parkway is a great drive and Jasper isn't nearly as touristy.

Grizz


When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
 
Posts: 1108 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
I live within a hundred miles and can tell you , tourism crowds have become beyond ridiculous. Kananskis country, closer to Calgary is a good option instead. If you want to visit Lake Louise, you now have to make a reservation, if you're one of the few who get one, you have to park at the ski resort across the highway and take a shuttle. If you're going to visit, I'd suggest May or September, when the crowds are least. Right now they are having staffing issues, so count on the service level being low as well. The Icefield Parkway is a great drive and Jasper isn't nearly as touristy.

Grizz


Feel lucky to have enjoyed that area in 1992 on our first drive through Canada to Alaska. Banff to Jasper is easily the most beautiful drive in North America and that's from a 30 year Alaskan.


______________________
DRSS
______________________
Hunt Reports

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141
 
Posts: 7351 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Banff has been on my bucket list a long time. I was in Calgary in the early 80s and could have easily checked it off my bucket list. Young, dumb, and dedicated to my job. Couldn't bother to take the time.

We'll stay at the Fairmont. I'll play golf at Banff Springs, while the wife hits the spa. We'll ride the gondola, and see the sites. It's our 28th anniversary trip.

I feel the same way about tourists; hate them even when I am one.

God's country to me is deep in the Mackenzie Mountains in the Northwest Territories, west of Norman Wells. No tourists. (They can bury me there and I would be a happy man.)
 
Posts: 12941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Banff has been on my bucket list a long time. I was in Calgary in the early 80s and could have easily checked it off my bucket list. Young, dumb, and dedicated to my job. Couldn't bother to take the time.

We'll stay at the Fairmont. I'll play golf at Banff Springs, while the wife hits the spa. We'll ride the gondola, and see the sites. It's our 28th anniversary trip.

I feel the same way about tourists; hate them even when I am one.

God's country to me is deep in the Mackenzie Mountains in the Northwest Territories, west of Norman Wells. No tourists. (They can bury me there and I would be a happy man.)


I lived in Norman Wells as a kid. Was a great place to be one. - dan


"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton
 
Posts: 5265 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, you struck a nerve. I was in Norman Wells in 2003. I went on a successful Dalls Sheep hunt in the Mackenzie Mountains with Stan Stevens (Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters). I can only imagine how great being a kid in Norman Wells could have been.

My wife and I recently returned from Banff. What I beautiful place. God's country if you remove all the tourists. Played golf (poorly) at Banff Springs. Stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs. A marvelous trip. (The Calgary Stampede was on. Decided to save the $500 and watched it on TV when we weren't out and about in Calgary.)

I have a restaurant recommendation for anyone finding themselves in Calgary. Try Caesar's Steakhouse & Lounge downtown http://www.caesarssteakhouse.com/ and hope you get served by Mischa. First 25% tip I've ever intentionally given.

Banff; another bucket List item checked off.

Felt strange clearing U.S. Customs in Calgary. Thought that would occur back in Dallas. A great start to the day and then we caught a lousy Uber ride home to find a water leak in the ceiling above the master bedroom. Everything always seems to even out in life.
 
Posts: 12941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2022 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia