Find
Notify
Tools

What's your oldest mount?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I have seen some really awesome trophy rooms over the years, but the thing I noticed is typically the animals are more recent additions. I don't recall seeing lots of animals that were 30+ years old (or at least appeared old). Got me thinking about what my taxidermy collection will look like in another 50 years.

So my questions.

1. What is the oldest piece of taxidermy you have?
2. Does it still look good?
3. What do you do to maintain your trophies?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I don't have a trophy room or many mounts for that matter but my oldest one is an aoudad from 1994 when I was guided by Finn Aagaard. It still looks nice. I just dust it off with the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner from time to time.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a B&C Jaguar taken by my father in Belize (FKA "British Honduras")in the early 1960's. I also have a mounted iguana from that trip. The hide on the Jag is getting pretty rough, unfortunately. I also have a grizzly and several rams from the 1970's - also from my late father's collection.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cougar from 1978, mule deer & pronghorn from 1970

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of todays taxidermist could pull off a quality realistic looking mount if all that was available, supply wise, was arsenic, wood wool, lead, plaster and dimensional lumber and using the carcass and skeleton for casting and use, as was back 50 years ago. The taxidermy industry has come leaps and bounds over the past with supplies, tanning agents and overall knowledge and anatomy of any specimen at your finger tips, making the quality and lasting ability surpass one's lifetime with very little care. A competent taxidermist will still be the difference in your trophy room having the wow factor also, LOL.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a wood duck from the mid 70's. Still looks great.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
1962 Mule Deer mount. Layered paper and glue form. Jeff Seivers mounted it for me. Except for some ear cracks it still looks pretty good.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pronghorn from '74 and another from about '78. They were both mounted by Joe Jonas Jr. and still look fine, although the black from the so-called cheekpiece has faded. I vacuum them about once a year, very carefully.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest mount was a whitetail from 72 or 73. That dates me. Like most 40+ year old mounts, it's horrific.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the age trophy here. Though disqualified.
I have a muley buck killed and mounted in 1946. Four bils' and one's brother, one was my Dad. Uncle killed it with a single shot .30/40 somewhere in the White River Forest of NW CO. First season after WWII, right after all of them were discharged.

Rack was scored about 7 years ago at 187.7pts.

Aunt wouldn't let him have it and his elk head both in the house so he hung it on a wall next to a window in the garage for all those years. It was originally a short necked upright mount.
The sun ate the L ear and most of the hair off, eye was white. Looked terrible and was shedding like a mangy coyote.

Uncle Teague Eiland, died in '73 while I was in the Army/Germany. Aunt died around '93. I told the grandkids: "If none of you kids want that deer head I do, don't throw it away". Couple years later Dad called and said: "Eddie just called and said if you want that deer head go get it, door is unlocked". I just about got thrown out of my home when I brought it in. It shed so bad I took it over and hung it in Dad's garage for a few years until I killed a buck I thought could donate the cape. I was told it was too small but, he had a road kill the rack was busted up bad but, cape was fine. He'd swap me capes for $20.

I had it remounted by a taxidermist school in Canon City, CO. Sneaky Left turn. Quite a few of us have inspected it closely and haven't found a flaw in it yet. Sure wish I could post pictures, don't even have a camera. IF someone would pm a cell ph# I can text a few pictures of it if it could be posted. This head means a lot to me and needs to be seen and appreiciated. Only one uncle is left now and he's 92+8mo.

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
George Dwight: I sent you a PM.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I have a caribou shoulder mount from 1976--shot him in Alaska when I was stationed at Ft. Greely. He is my Bicentennial caribou.

Jonas Brothers Denver did the taxidermy, and it looks the same today - the cape portion, that is; the antlers need to be re-stained. I had them made detachable, and with all my moves in the Army and afterwards, they've taken a beating.

In 1976 I paid $500 for the shoulder mount, plus $50 per side to have the antlers detachable. That included shipping, from Denver to Alabama, where I was stationed after Alaska.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I have many of my mounts from the 1960s in my trophy room yet. There are a couple of mule deer bucks, my son's (he was 10 yrs. old then) mule deer doe, two pronghorns, a Coues deer buck, a javelina and bobcat and black bear rugs -- all from AZ.

They were all done by a taxidermist named Fred Campbell from Avondale AZ. His wife Louise made all of the forms, which were paper mache types. Both deceased many years ago.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My oldest mount is my first pronghorn that I had mounted in 1972.

Next oldest are a mule deer buck and a black bear rug that I had mounted in 1974. The mule deer is on a paper form and I pickled the cape and mounted it myself.

Although these mounts don't look as good as the work my taxidermist is doing today, they still look pretty good.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post

I have lots of old mounts in my home. This mountain reedbuck hunted on our ranch by my grandfather in the mid 1920's. The klipspringer on the right from about 1956 and various other skull mounts from 1920's, 30's etc. Not a huge number on display, but they span 90 years.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my dad's mule deer from 1950. It now resides in the garage in a crate. It looked very good until about ten years ago. Too many years in storage while I worked overseas. I need to get rid of it. I'll probably mount the horns on a board. I have a photo of the buck hanging from a telephone pole in our backyard in Artesia, New Mexico. My dad and I are in the photo. It was the only buck he ever shot.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I have two deer, a sheep, some fish and a number of ducks I mounted back in the early to mid seventy's. I keep them dusted and on occasion, light cleaning.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My uncle and my Grandma's cousin came up to the NWT in 1986 and shot a couple of caribou. When Grandma's cousin passed away a few years ago I was lucky enough to get the mount (how his grandsons could not want the mount is a mystery to me). It's not the biggest bull but it was one of the biggest trips of his life and he had the bull mounted by my uncle when they got home. It's still a pretty good looking mount though it has lived it's entire life either in the stairway of his house or the stairway of Mom's, far from any windows with mount-killing daylight.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote