THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Would a bird dog be too weird?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would a bird dog be too weird?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
I have been thinking that when the day comes, and my GSP dies, would it be too macabre to have him mounted?
I know many men have a love for their dogs that transcends the usual love for any animal and thought how nice it could be to have your dog immortalized in this way.
I could see my dog mounted flushing a rising pheasant.
I have never seen this done. Not for everybody, thats for sure...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ultimate tribute !!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I have been thinking that when the day comes, and my GSP dies, would it be too macabre to have him mounted?
I know many men have a love for their dogs that transcends the usual love for any animal and thought how nice it could be to have your dog immortalized in this way.

I would never ever consider that. You asked so I'll answer. I think it's messed up.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 slam:
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

I would never ever consider that. You asked so I'll answer. I think it's messed up.

I agree...creepy.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
A good bird dog has earned and deserves a proper burial. Wrap him in his blanket or your hunting coat, dig a deep hole somewhere he should lay and gently cover. He's going back to the earth that gave him the birds he loves to pursue, not jacked full of chemicals and stuffed full of foam.

Geez, I tear up just writing that.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Our husky looked very much like a Black Wolf and when he was healthy, happy, and active we used to joke about getting mounted. Now that he's died I can truly say I couldn't possibly think of walking past his body it would just hurt too much.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
A good bird dog has earned and deserves a proper burial. Wrap him in his blanket or your hunting coat, dig a deep hole somewhere he should lay and gently cover. He's going back to the earth that gave him the birds he loves to pursue, not jacked full of chemicals and stuffed full of foam.

Yes,

My brother in law is a Taxidermist in Colorado. He gets about 3 calls a week asking to stuff the family schitzu. He says it is never a noble dog, always a pocket pet and some old lady.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Never

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry what your saying is you don't stuff Fido?

My B.I.L doesn't either, he says: 1. they don't make a form, 2. the old nag will not be happy with how it will turn out, and 3. it gives him the heebie jeebies.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I don't BWW, I guess I don't see anything wrong with it , I just won't do them myself.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Never

+1

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, heebie jeebies activated. Going down the hall to puke my guts out.

One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to have a pet stuffed, but to each his own. One thing that I saw a lot with my taxidermist was people who dropped off their pet to have mounted after it passed away. Little lap dogs and cats mostly. He said that he doubled the price on those jobs because most of the time they never came back to pick them up. He required half down, which was what he would charge for something like a raccoon, but then after he finished, they had gotten over the grieving period and no longer thought it was a good idea and after several calls, he would give up.

Eddie

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
to answer the original question-YESS!!!!!!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nobody2:

RIP???

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me either! Never, ever.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nobody2
If you was the taxidermist , real nice work on the Pit . You captured the essence of that dog anatomically and visually .

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard,

Done several, one of which was a lead dog of multiple Iditarod wins, for the museum in Wasilla.
Have always pointed out why their pet shouldn't be mounted ( too hard to capture the look ), but some will not take no for an answer.
Many reference pics required.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Why not? Roy Rogers "stuffed" both his horse, Trigger, and his dog, Bullet.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ricardo, You need to clean your glasses. I'm pretty sure that is a Rottweiler.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumpa
Your correct , but there are some tall Rottie looking Pit's in the getto where I live. Maybe crossbreds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Grenadier said, plus one!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up my uncle had a dachsen-poodle type cross, that was a hell on wheels bird dog.

He wanted to get him stuffed standing on his rear legs with a Christmas light for his pee pee.

Would have been quite the magical conversation starter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

This.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Agree with the never, ever crowd.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could have the wife done, leading the dog. Wink Same kind of scenario, not respectful of either.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was once told a story about a rancher in N/E New Mexico who had his favorite ranch dog cremated. When it was the rancher's time to pass, it was his wish that he, too, be cremated and his ashes mixed with those of the dog. Then he asked that the combined ashes be buried together along a stream that borders his property. The two best friends remain together forever at their favorite spot.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best retriever was cremated. I have his ashes and he will be buried with me.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see it now - you want to remember your dog in a favorite pose - I'd rather have a classy photo taken by someone who knows what he's doing and hang it in my den.

The only hitch I can see is if it gave your wife an idea to have something similar done, in the way she'd like to remember you when you were doing something you both enjoyed together.

shame

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
If it's trapping season and a dog dies it goes on the big bait pile.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
My best retriever was cremated. I have his ashes and he will be buried with me.

i like this approach.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I couldn't thing of any other approach. I miss that old man to this day.

I can still see in my head a 500 yard blind retrieve with only two adjustments, and when he got there, the goose flew and at a dead run, he got all four legs off the ground and snatched it out of the air. Then brought it back alive. There will never be another.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy Rogers used those animals as a way of making money at his museum. When he himself was dead for a number of years and the paying public quite showing up his heirs sold those trusted animal like any other investment or rubbish that no one wanted.
I personally have had all my pets cremated and placed in urns and they will join me when either my wife or I go as they would have little sentimental value to anyone else again a dog is considered as family by many people who have them....would you want to wake up each morning and look at your mother in law, JMO

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote