THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Tips on using shooting sticks for elk hunt.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips on using shooting sticks for elk hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you guys get them to stand still long enough to use these things.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
KDA55,

I suspect you have hunted and taken a ton more elk than I have but for me it is all about the right equipment, practice and pre-shot planning.

My shooting sticks are home made and they double as a walking stick, I also prep for the shot as I do my final approach; i.e., my daypack is unslung to one shoulder, and I practice the most efficient way to get my sticks up and deployed and my rifle on the sticks, and pack into the support position.

I have often said more opportunities are missed fiddling with equipment and accessories because hunters don't practice/choreograph how to transition into a shooting position quickly.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed two elk and one red stag.

The last elk, I had my shooting sticks down the cargo compartment of my backpack.

The prong was sticking up from the opening in the top secured by ties and a zipper.

The pack is set up for the rifle to go butt first barrel up. I just used that for the sticks.

Sit down and put pack in front of you sticks are up and shoot off them. I use the same process deer hunting.

The sticks are the collapsible big pods.

All that said the elk came out just to the left. So, it was easier and necessary to just swing the rifle off sticks killing the elk.

However, this worked well during deer season. I killed my deer at 65 yards off this.

In short, collapse sticks to goo height. Bottom of sticks into pack. Prong is sticking up out of pack sturdy. When you sit down you have the sticks right there. I will just send a photo.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Europe, I have killed Fallow off sticks, but you have someone there to set them up as you bring the rifle up. But you have to know to grab them and move them.

I never could shoot bracing against a tree. Yeah, it is sturdy, but you can’t move with the animal movement.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they a kind of silly and unnecessary. Spend more time plinking with a .22 at rocks and cans. I grew up in the desert SW with nothing to lean on and learned to shoot offhand. I find that the elk find me as often as I find them, lots of snap shooting in the trees.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
kda55,

I guess it is what you experience...I have not taken a single elk in the trees.

If I were to reflect back on the yardages and the shots...

100 offhand CO
75 offhand CO
125 sitting MT
200 sitting w/sticks CA
150 sitting w/sticks UT
125 kneeling w/sticks WY
450 prone backpack ID
300 sitting w/sticks ID
200 standing w/sticks ID
280 sitting w/sticks ID

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Fiberglass electric fence rods. 3/8 x 4’ long. Pointed on one end. Rubber castration bands qty 4 for binding. Slide them up or down as you desire. Rubber tape for a soft sweet spot for rifle contact. Works as walking stick keeping me able to hunt rough country. Strong enough to use as a flex lever to get back up off the ground. Knee problems make it an imperative for me to stay off my kneecaps. Very steady. Yes to resting elbow on pack. Shots at 400 that are hurried are mostly missed I would say. I can deploy these very quickly from walking or standing sight breathe and break a shot. Of course when sitting watching they are always ready. Gun ammo knife water sticks. Must have list for me.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
I think they a kind of silly and unnecessary. Spend more time plinking with a .22 at rocks and cans. I grew up in the desert SW with nothing to lean on and learned to shoot offhand. I find that the elk find me as often as I find them, lots of snap shooting in the trees.

I bet you have not hunted much in Africa.

Where one has to walk, and run, for miles, then having stop and shoot.

I ALWAYS use a rest when available.

In certain circumstances there is no rest, and one has to fire off hand.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is about elk hunting Saeed. I do use rests but do not see the need to pack sticks around when plenty of rests are available. Hunting in the timber where shoots can be short and quick precludes any notion of setting up a set of sticks. Funny how articles of old- think OL F&S, Guns and Blammo all touted learning to shoot from field positions, shooting and hunting skills and now all I see are gigantic scopes and bipods. BTW, I am a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter. Maybe that is the difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
This thread is about elk hunting Saeed. I do use rests but do not see the need to pack sticks around when plenty of rests are available. Hunting in the timber where shoots can be short and quick precludes any notion of setting up a set of sticks. Funny how articles of old- think OL F&S, Guns and Blammo all touted learning to shoot from field positions, shooting and hunting skills and now all I see are gigantic scopes and bipods. BTW, I am a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter. Maybe that is the difference.

I have to agree; I am the only person I ever see at our local range that shoots sitting with a sling (not a strap, but a sling with a loop and keepers), the exception being competitive 3 position shooters complete with shooting jackets and monster slings.

I was hunting moose in the Yukon when we spotted a monster at 285 yards; my guide offered me sticks; I just sat down, put my sling on, and whacked him. The guide said he had never seen anyone do that before, which in itself is a sad indictment.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. See the thread just below this, I rest my case.