THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How can hunting help your fellow man? Essays Needed!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can hunting help your fellow man? Essays Needed!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
AR Member Joe Miller started the Hunter to hunter: Pay it forward discussion. In that thread I offered up a "Youth Pronghorn Hunt" to one lucky hunter age 12-15 and their Parent/Guardian. If you can will go to the thread you can see the rough details of the post.

Hunter to hunter: Pay it forward.

Joe gave the topic "How can hunting help your fellow man?" I think this is a great topic for an essay contest to find the most deserving young hunter. The deadline for the draw application in CO has always been around the 1st of April so really there is a short deadline here.

I'd like to get short Essays of 1000 words or less on this topic. I think that all entries would have to be in by 1 Feb 2009 so that they could all be reviewed and a decision on the lucky contestant could be reached by 1 March 2009. I'd love for AR Members and Moderators to be able to vote for the young hunters essay that they like the best. In a case of a tie give the tie breaker vote to Joe Miller since this is his brain child.

What I need are some suggestions on rules and how to run this kind of contest. Plus how would it be possible to run this contest on this site? I need as much help as I can get as fast as I can.

Again so I'm asking let us all help to bring a young hunter to the fold!

one of us
posted Hide Post
taylor - very impressed with your idea, congrats to you for your effort!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can we make this a "sticky" at the top?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts....

Give them a few suggested titles to get going with, they will be used to this mode of presentation from their school work.

Write a preamble with the objectives of the excercise spelled out in summary form.

Offer some runner up prizes; buck knives, led head torches etc. Small cheap things that will help get the guy who doesn't think he'll win but is thinking of trying. This may help him go for it if he thinks he one of those people who "never wins anything"

Offer some tips with the essay title to help some of the less educated ones along, ie get a sympathetic teacher to look over it for errors, stick to the word limit, Write naturally and don't try to copy Hemmingway, Ruark or Steve Irwin, etc.

This is a very noble idea and you are to commended for taking the initiative.

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
A couple of thoughts....

Give them a few suggested titles to get going with, they will be used to this mode of presentation from their school work.

Write a preamble with the objectives of the excercise spelled out in summary form.

Offer some runner up prizes; buck knives, led head torches etc. Small cheap things that will help get the guy who doesn't think he'll win but is thinking of trying. This may help him go for it if he thinks he one of those people who "never wins anything"

Offer some tips with the essay title to help some of the less educated ones along, ie get a sympathetic teacher to look over it for errors, stick to the word limit, Write naturally and don't try to copy Hemmingway, Ruark or Steve Irwin, etc.

This is a very noble idea and you are to commended for taking the initiative.

Regards,

GH

GH, great ideas on this subject. Unfortunately I'm only able to donate the hunt and my time right now. Wish I were able to offer more runner up prizes.

I never really had much education past High School, except in the Army, and English was really my worst subject. Good thing my better half has a degree in Journalism as I'm going to need her help to get this thing going. I'd really like to kick this thing off Jan 1st if possible, and give that whole month for the young hunters to submit their essays.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe some SCI and DSC members can get involved and get the word out to their local chapters. I am a DSC member, but live in Arizona, so I don't attend the regular meetings and functions.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I'm doing some more research on holding this kind of contest. My question is am I going to run into any kind of problems either Legal or Tax wise for the contestants? I figure the prize value of what I'm offering really just the price of a application fee, youth tag, habitat stamp, and some fuel for transportation. So if anyone out there has knowledge on running one of these contests from the Legal and Tax issue side can help out.

Plus I wasn't sure on the age for a Youth hunter so I've been digging in the CO Dow's site and found this. All this info came from the 2008 Big Game Regulations brochure.

quote:
YOUTH BIG GAME LICENSES
Youths must be at least 12 and meet hunter education requirements.
At age 11, can buy or apply for a license if they turn 12
before the end of season on the license. Youths cannot hunt with
the license until they turn 12. License fees are reduced for deer, elk
and pronghorn licenses for youths, 12-17. Hunters under 16 must
be accompanied by a mentor, 18 or older, who must meet hunter
education requirements. Mentors don’t have to hunt. Youths and
mentors must be able to see and hear each other while hunting.
Youths cannot apply for a reduced-cost limited license if they turn 18
on or before Feb. 12 this year. Youths must be 12-17 to buy a
reduced-cost unlimited or leftover license.

So that opens up the age group a bit so I was thinking of breaking it down into three groups. 12-13, 14-15, and 16-17 age group. My plan is to post the essays on this forum by age group and let the members of this forum vote for the top entry by poll. Then take the top entry from each age group and have Joe Miller pick the winner if that works for him.

I'm still working on more topics and rules for the contests. I'd like to get some runner up prizes like suggested. I'll put the 7mm Rem Mag Savage 110 back up if it will help to get some prizes donated to the cause.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple of thoughts....

Some more topic suggestions for the essay:

What hunting has taught me/has to teach me.

Why hunting is important to conservation.

My hunting heritige and why I hunt.

I should have the rules posted by the end of December so we can get this kicked off by January. I think I'm going to shorten the word count down to minimum of 300 and a maximum of 500 words to keep them to a better size for posting.

Would love to come up with some runner up prizes. Anyone willing do donate some affordable new/lightly used hunting/outdoor gear? You can ship directly too the runner up entries after the contest is over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well moving ahead with this plan, I just got the OK from the AR Staff to run this contest in this forum. Still trying to come up with secondary prizes, but I'll have something for the runners up by the time this contest kicks off next month.

I need some volunteers for Judges to help out with this contest, anyone out there want to help?

I've got the rough draft up of the contest rules; I've tried to cover everything. If I left anything out help me to refine them.

quote:
Official Rules

Section I - General Rules
1. The Hunter to Hunter Pay it Forward Youth Pronghorn Hunt essay contest is divided into three levels of competition. All contestants scoring 80 points or higher on their submitted essay will move to the second level. The second level of competition the essays will be posted on www.accuratereloading.com in the American Big Game Hunting forum by age group where any registered member can vote for his/her favorite essay with the top essay from each age group will go forward to the final stage of competition. The top three essays will be judged by forum member Joe Miller and the winner will be chosen.

2. Contestants must enter through email, send all essays to: h2hpayitfwd@yahoo.com

3. Contestants must compose an essay with limited guidance from others on one of four topic: How can hunting help your fellow man?

TIPS: What hunting has taught me or has to teach me? Why is hunting important to conservation in the United States? My hunting heritage and why I hunt? Why is hunting still relevant, and how does hunting benefit the individual and society etc?

4. The Hunter to Hunter Pay it Forward Youth Pronghorn Hunt essay contest will have the right to edit, publish or otherwise duplicate any essay entered into the contest without payment to the author.

5. There is no cost to enter the contest.

6. Only one essay per contestant.

7. Hunter must be accompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian during the hunt dates October 3-6 2009.

Section II - Qualifications for Contestants
1. The contest is open to all contestants’ ages 11-17 that are legal residents of the United States.

2. Contestants must be 12 years of age by October 3 2009, and no older than 17 years of age by October 9 2009. Season dates are October 3-6 2009.

3. Proof of Hunters Education must be submitted with each essay.

Section III - Contest Rules
1. Each contestant should read a copy of the rules. The rules contain information about the contest, judging and awards.

2. Participants must write on the official topic.

3. Essays must be typewritten on Microsoft Word or in PDF format and must be submitted through email to: h2hpayitfwd@yahoo.com

4. Essays must contain at least 300 words but no more than 500 words. Every word of the essay is counted. This does not include the title, bibliography or footnotes.

5. Any quotations or copyrighted material used in the essay must be identified properly. Failure to identify non-original material will result in disqualification.

6. Essays must be written in English.

7. Essays submissions will only be accepted Jan 1-31 2009 and be broken down into age categories 12-13, 14-15, 16-17 based on youth hunters age at the time of the hunt.

8. Essays will be posted for vote no later than Feb 15 2009, and voting will last until Feb 25 2009.

9. Winner of the essay contest will be posted on www.accuratereloading.com in the American Big Game Hunting forums on March 1 2009.

Section IV - Phase one Judging and Timing

1. Judging will be completed by a panel of judges.

2. In an effort to conceal the identity of each contestant, each entry will be posted by email user name. Copies of Hunters education will not be posted. The judges will be given the essay bearing only the username.

3. Judges will not discuss or compare essays being judged until all essays have been judged.

4. Only judges can assign a penalty or award points.

Section V - Phase one Scoring of Contest Scoring procedures of all age groups.

1. Material Organization (Logical interpretation of the subject, adherence to topic): 40 points

2. Vocabulary and Style (Phrasing and continuity): 30 points

3. Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling: 20 points

4. Neatness: 5 points

5. Adherence to contest rules (prepared in the proper format): 5 points

Section VI - Awards
First-place: Colorado Youth Pronghorn Tag, and Access to Private Property in SE Colorado. Transportation to and from the hunt from Denver International Airport, alternate airport being Colorado Springs Airport, and all transportation during the hunt.

Second-place: Custom Hunting Knife

Third-place: Optics Package (rifle scope & binoculars)

This contest is in no way being run in conjunction with or endorsed by Accuratereloading.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll write far more over the next few days but for now, this is growing into something far bigger than I envisioned and I am glad to see it. Please count on me for help with the runners up prizes. Seems a young hunter could do with a knife that would last a life time. Have you ever noticed that many guns and bows pass through our hands, but a good knife is always there?

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Joe!

A good knife is a great prize. Just let me know what you have so I can add it to the prize list.

tasunkawitko generously offered up some of his time to judge some of the 1st phase essays! clap

Richracer1 over at NoslerReloading.com has generously offerd up these slightly used items:
quote:
I have a couple of rifle scopes and a pair binoculars I can part with. Nothing real fancy, but in good working condition (not beat up).
Scopes:
Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40
Simmons Whitetail Classic 2-8x32 (I think)

Binoculars:
Bushnell Legend "Hillary" model - 7-15x28
dancing

Thank you all very much!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor, I am going to tap some others for a knife a bit more special than the shelves at Gander Mountain normally have. I am going to design the knife myself and round up the materials. Its the final fitting and assembly that will require some help.

So far as the judging of the essays go, I was a pure science major and I am not nearly as well read as some here so my ability to judge would not be based in expertise.

The topics you mentioned all sound good and I would pose the question; Do we really need to have just one or should we make this a more general topic like a simple hunting essay? I am not one to limit people when creativity is the focus.

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Please do not hesitate to ask if I may be of assistance.

I could even donate some "british" style bits and pieces to a runner up.

I've always wanted to see an American hunter in Realtree, hunter orange, a flat cap and tie! Big Grin

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Miller:
Taylor, I am going to tap some others for a knife a bit more special than the shelves at Gander Mountain normally have. I am going to design the knife myself and round up the materials. Its the final fitting and assembly that will require some help.

So far as the judging of the essays go, I was a pure science major and I am not nearly as well read as some here so my ability to judge would not be based in expertise.

The topics you mentioned all sound good and I would pose the question; Do we really need to have just one or should we make this a more general topic like a simple hunting essay? I am not one to limit people when creativity is the focus.

Jusy one topic would be fine in my opinion, I was perhaps unclear above, the tips should be pointers like, why is hunting still relevant, why and how does hunting benefit the individual and society etc.

These all fall under the umbrella of your original topic and might help distill the issues for the kids.

As for judges, i'm sure a "big name" who frequents this or another US forum could be persuaded to judge the final few. It might even make publication!

REgards,

GH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am sure those would be welcome additions to the growing list of things that have been offered.

So far as the thought of the winning essay's being published; Would there be special legal issues to be dealt with in that regard? Great idea so long as no one is risking some sort of run in with the law. I know there are several folks here that are famous for their works, but I am not sure which would be interested in this topic. GH, did you have someone already in mind?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've always wanted to see an American hunter in Realtree, hunter orange, a flat cap and tie! Big Grin

Regards,

GH

Would you mind judging a few of the essays?

Plus any "British" style bits would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

As far as other prizes I aske Richracer1 just to donate the best scope and binoculars as a package for the 2nd runner up.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

Regards,

GH

Would you mind judging a few of the essays?

Plus any "British" style bits would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

As far as other prizes I aske Richracer1 just to donate the best scope and binoculars as a package for the 2nd runner up.

Not at all sir!

My sister happens to be an editor for a major literay publishing house, i'm sure between us we could be of some small assistance.

I think hip flasks and gin tots would be inappropriate somehow Big Grin

Go to this website <clicky> and let me know what the well dressed young American sportsman should be wearing this season!

I really don't know what would be appropriate so make some suggestion.

I still really like the idea of a youngster in a Yorkshire flat cap, tattersall shirt, pheasant tie, breeks and plus fours with a giant whitetail!

All the best,

GH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go to this website <clicky> and let me know what the well dressed young American sportsman should be wearing this season!

I still really like the idea of a youngster in a Yorkshire flat cap, tattersall shirt, pheasant tie, breeks and plus fours with a giant whitetail!

All the best,

GH

Sorry guys been busy with the Chrismas stuff around here.

GH how about we add your "british" style bits to the top prize? You can work out with the winner what he will wear in the pictures of his/her pronghorn hunt. That way the young hunter with your help can pick out what they want ot wear within a set budget of course. Can we get a hat made in "Blaze Orange"? Big game hunters must wear Orange on their head while hunting in CO as well.

I've modified the rules again, so take a look and let me know what everyone thinks?

Thanks again all!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

All the best,

GH

Sorry guys been busy with the Chrismas stuff around here.

GH how about we add your "british" style bits to the top prize? You can work out with the winner what he will wear in the pictures of his/her pronghorn hunt. That way the young hunter with your help can pick out what they want ot wear within a set budget of course. Can we get a hat made in "Blaze Orange"? Big game hunters must wear Orange on their head while hunting in CO as well.

I've modified the rules again, so take a look and let me know what everyone thinks?

Thanks again all!

I don't mind, I was thinking to reward as many a tried as possible and hence the (hopefully many, get donating chaps!) offer of multiple small prizes.

I stress however that this is your baby and I will help in any way you ask.

It would be very cool to have a photo of the afore alluded to American Country Gentleman and his deer clap

As for hunter orange, sorry old boy, not in the uk!

I'm sure I can get something from the continent however, the Germans in particular seem to get over excited and shoot each other Big Grin troll

ATB,

GH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, have there been any entries or promising words towards some entries?

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Miller:
So, have there been any entries or promising words towards some entries?

Joe

Joe,

Haven't had anything yet! I was hoping to hear something by now. I have been thinking of a back up plan if no one applies. I want to make sure Lhook7's pay it forward doesn't go un rewarded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All right Young Hunters I need those Essays. Hope everyone had a great New Years but it is time to get busy! Please submit all essays to: h2hpayitfwd@yahoo.com

Again here are the offical rules:
quote:
Official Rules

Section I - General Rules
1. The Hunter to Hunter Pay it Forward Youth Pronghorn Hunt essay contest is divided into three levels of competition. All contestants scoring 80 points or higher on their submitted essay will move to the second level. The second level of competition the essays will be posted on www.accuratereloading.com in the American Big Game Hunting forum by age group where any registered member can vote for his/her favorite essay with the top essay from each age group will go forward to the final stage of competition. The top three essays will be judged by forum member Joe Miller and the winner will be chosen.

2. Contestants must enter through email, send all essays to: h2hpayitfwd@yahoo.com

3. Contestants must compose an essay with limited guidance from others on one of four topic: How can hunting help your fellow man?

TIPS: What hunting has taught me or has to teach me? Why is hunting important to conservation in the United States? My hunting heritage and why I hunt? Why is hunting still relevant, and how does hunting benefit the individual and society etc?

4. The Hunter to Hunter Pay it Forward Youth Pronghorn Hunt essay contest will have the right to edit, publish or otherwise duplicate any essay entered into the contest without payment to the author.

5. There is no cost to enter the contest.

6. Only one essay per contestant.

7. Hunter must be accompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian during the hunt dates October 3-6 2009.

Section II - Qualifications for Contestants
1. The contest is open to all contestants’ ages 11-17 that are legal residents of the United States.

2. Contestants must be 12 years of age by October 3 2009, and no older than 17 years of age by October 9 2009. Season dates are October 3-6 2009.

3. Proof of Hunters Education must be submitted with each essay.

Section III - Contest Rules
1. Each contestant should read a copy of the rules. The rules contain information about the contest, judging and awards.

2. Participants must write on the official topic.

3. Essays must be typewritten on Microsoft Word or in PDF format and must be submitted through email to: h2hpayitfwd@yahoo.com

4. Essays must contain at least 300 words but no more than 500 words. Every word of the essay is counted. This does not include the title, bibliography or footnotes.

5. Any quotations or copyrighted material used in the essay must be identified properly. Failure to identify non-original material will result in disqualification.

6. Essays must be written in English.

7. Essays submissions will only be accepted Jan 1-31 2009 and be broken down into age categories 12-13, 14-15, 16-17 based on youth hunters age at the time of the hunt.

8. Essays will be posted for vote no later than Feb 15 2009, and voting will last until Feb 25 2009.

9. Winner of the essay contest will be posted on www.accuratereloading.com in the American Big Game Hunting forums on March 1 2009.

Section IV - Phase one Judging and Timing

1. Judging will be completed by a panel of judges.

2. In an effort to conceal the identity of each contestant, each entry will be posted by email user name. Copies of Hunters education will not be posted. The judges will be given the essay bearing only the username.

3. Judges will not discuss or compare essays being judged until all essays have been judged.

4. Only judges can assign a penalty or award points.

Section V - Phase one Scoring of Contest Scoring procedures of all age groups.

1. Material Organization (Logical interpretation of the subject, adherence to topic): 40 points

2. Vocabulary and Style (Phrasing and continuity): 30 points

3. Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling: 20 points

4. Neatness: 5 points

5. Adherence to contest rules (prepared in the proper format): 5 points

Section VI - Awards
First-place: Colorado Youth Pronghorn Tag, and Access to Private Property in SE Colorado. Transportation to and from the hunt from Denver International Airport, alternate airport being Colorado Springs Airport, and all transportation during the hunt.

Second-place: Custom Hunting Knife

Third-place: Optics Package (rifle scope & binoculars)

This contest is in no way being run in conjunction with or endorsed by Accuratereloading.com

Keep your essays on topic, follow the rules and most of all GOOD LUCK!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

We will be getting a list together of the items donated to our young writers. I am going to have to change up on my donation just a bit from a custom knife to a Buck Kalinga Pro sheath knife and a suitable sharpening device.

To all of you out there reading this, please get the young people in your life to write an essay. Tell your friends on other boards and help us make this a very memorable event. There is much to be had for the top finishers of this contest. There is a Colorado Pronghorn hunt for the grand prize and things like knives, scopes and such for the runners up. And most of all, the top essays will be posted here and maybe published if the right connections can be made.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not eligable to win this because I am 35 but I would like to give my example.

Hunting begain for me at at 10 years of age sitting with my Grandpa in a blind with a BB gun.I couldnt shoot a deer with my small weapon but I was with a man I loved doing something I couldnt wait to get old enough to participate in for real.My Uncle,Cousin and Brother where also out in the woods hunting and the sound of every close gunshot made me so excited I could hardly contain myself to set still and wait to see what they had shot.The size of the deer didnt matter doe or buck was the same to me.The most important thing was that one moment when everyone was standing around that deer congratulating the succesful hunter.I didnt know it at the time but that is how hunting helps a man.Its not the size of the game you shoot its the priceless times you spend with your family and friends.Hunting makes you appreciate the little good things in life to not take so much for granted. I believe this helps our fellow man by having good honest adults in this world young adults and old that know what is really important in life.I have shot many deer since then Bucks and does some big some small.Sadly my cousin was killed in an accident and my granfathers health kept him out of the woods before I killed my first deer and he passed away before we could hunt together but he was at the hanging tree by the barn congratulating me regardless of his health when we got that deer hung up and I'll never forget it.If my cousin and Grandpa could have been in the woods with me on my first succesful hunt I know how the circle around that deer would have went and thats good enough for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice story, Thank you sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by portwood0341:
I am not eligable to win this because I am 35 but I would like to give my example.

Hunting begain for me at at 10 years of age sitting with my Grandpa in a blind with a BB gun.I couldnt shoot a deer with my small weapon but I was with a man I loved doing something I couldnt wait to get old enough to participate in for real.My Uncle,Cousin and Brother where also out in the woods hunting and the sound of every close gunshot made me so excited I could hardly contain myself to set still and wait to see what they had shot.The size of the deer didnt matter doe or buck was the same to me.The most important thing was that one moment when everyone was standing around that deer congratulating the succesful hunter.I didnt know it at the time but that is how hunting helps a man.Its not the size of the game you shoot its the priceless times you spend with your family and friends.Hunting makes you appreciate the little good things in life to not take so much for granted. I believe this helps our fellow man by having good honest adults in this world young adults and old that know what is really important in life.I have shot many deer since then Bucks and does some big some small.Sadly my cousin was killed in an accident and my granfathers health kept him out of the woods before I killed my first deer and he passed away before we could hunt together but he was at the hanging tree by the barn congratulating me regardless of his health when we got that deer hung up and I'll never forget it.If my cousin and Grandpa could have been in the woods with me on my first succesful hunt I know how the circle around that deer would have went and thats good enough for me.

Thank you for giving such a nice example. Unfortunately not a single essay came in to be judged. I did have some people PM me with questions, but not one single essay. I do owe Lhook7 a PIF so now I'll have to dig and find what I've got to offer.

I hate to see it end this way but the contest is closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to see such a enerous offer go to waste.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent both of my boys a link to this page and told them they had a very good chance of winning since both are decent writers and avid hunters. One is 12; the other 14. Neither took the time and I'm disappointed to say the least.
I'm curious. If you received one or two entries, would you have still awarded a winner?
By the way, thanks for your efforts and your desire to promote hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why there were no kids writing in for this. I can't imagine being that age again and given the chance to hunt the west, and all that was asked of me was to simply write a few paragraphs about the sport that I loved. Maybe we should have incorporated this contest into an X-Box game or some other insane waste of time that seems to dominate their lives today. Great effort by all involved, perhaps another use for the effort will make it's self known.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hartfish:
I sent both of my boys a link to this page and told them they had a very good chance of winning since both are decent writers and avid hunters. One is 12; the other 14. Neither took the time and I'm disappointed to say the least.
I'm curious. If you received one or two entries, would you have still awarded a winner?
By the way, thanks for your efforts and your desire to promote hunting.

Yes if I had gotten just one applicant I would have awarded the hunt. I was just hoping that some young hunter would take advantage of this offer. Most of the questions I got were asking if I was paying for transportation, I guess getting to Colorado might have been a problem.