THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Rocky Mountain Big Horn with Wade Lemon- some pictures added-video just added
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocky Mountain Big Horn with Wade Lemon- some pictures added-video just added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am the the Delta lounge in Salt Lake City returning home. I decided to draft the report although I only have limited pictures at this time.

Date of hunt- 11/12/13

Area hunted- Anelope Island

Guide- Kalen Lemon

Guns- Rifles Inc 300 Win Mag with 2.5 x 15 Swarovski scope

Gunwerks 6.5 x 284 with Nightforce G-7 scope

I will explain why I had 2 guns later.

Cameraman- Kip Peck

In February of 2013, I purchased the Rocky Mountain Big Horn tag for Antelope Island (AI) in an auction in Utah even though I was in Argentina shooting birds at the time.

AI is a state park. It is an island in the great salt lake. It is approximate 28,000 acres. We saw sheep, antelope, bison and mule deer in great abundance. I feel there will probably be some heart attacks when I post pictures of the mule deer. They are shocking. I recon the biggest we saw was over 240!!!

We arrived in SLC on 11/11/13. After checking in and eating lunch, we headed to a local gun range to check the zero on my rifle. I was not happy at the gun range. It was LOUD. The guy to my left looked like he had just escaped from jail. He was shooting an AR that kept ejecting the brass in the middle of my back. This made it difficult to check the zero with the precision I want.

I fired 2 shots. They were close but too high. No surprise since I zeroed the gun at an elevation of 35 feet with high humidity. I was now at over 5,000 feet with low humidity. I adjusted downward. The 3rd shot grouped well with the first two. I adjusted again and hit the bulls eye square in the middle. I adjusted upward and got it to precisely my desired elevation. In retrospect, I think I made a poor shot from all of the noise and brass hitting me on my 3rd shot.

Kalen, who I have knows since he was 8 insisted I shoot him Gunwerks 6.5 x 284 a couple of times. I liked it. The Nightforce G-7 scope is bad ass. You can adjust it to compensate for the range.

We finished and headed out to AI for a look. Damn but this island is intimidating when driving across the causeway. The mountains are tough. We were pretty far off the road and we spotted some sheep. Nothing interesting. We moved. We saw another group of sheep, mostly rams with several shooters. Damn but this was exciting. Unfortunately, our joy was short lived. We spotted what HAD been the biggest sheep on the island noted in scouting trips. I say HAD because one of his horns was almost completely gone! Damnmit!!!!!

We left well before daylight to head to AI to start the hunt. Interestingly, we noted that AI is about 10 degrees cooler than the mainland. It was low 30's with a lot of frost on AI.

We split into 2 groups to glass. From our initial vantage points, we saw nothing of interest. We moved.

On our second attempt to glass, we walked about 1.75 miles over rough terrain to a vantage point. I noted something that I found odd. While down low (4,500 feet) looking up, the terrain appeared more flat and the distances not as far compared to being higher looking down. From the truck, I thought a rock mound was 200 yards and at more or less the same elevation as us. When I got to the rock mound and looked back, I was shocked at how much higher we were and how far we were from the truck. This plagued me all day.

From this second vantage point, we saw several rams. There was one possible shooter. It was, however, in a difficult location. We decided to move and look for more. We moved and started a pretty serious climb. We climbed just about as high as one could on AI over some extremely rough terrain. I handled it fine for a guy from the flatlands who is almost 58. We saw a good ram. I recon he was in the low 160's. He was clearly younger as he had little brooming. I passed although I can't give a good reason why I did. I recon this little jaunt was about 5 miles.

We moved and started to glass elsewhere. One of the other guys radioed that he had seen a bunch of sheep including some rams of unknown quality. We decided to take off and have a look. It was getting late. I made a MAJOR mistake. I brought neither my pack nor flashlights. I knew better. This was an idiot move on my part.

Off we went only slight slower than the speed of light, climbing the whole way over some extremely rough ground. After about a mile and a half, we got to a good vantage point. We spotted a good ram. Several actually. One, however, got my attention. He was OLD (like me). His horns were HEAVY. He was heavily broomed. I decided to go for it.

We closed several hundred yards. The sheep were now just shy of 800 yards away. The sun was going down fast. We moved quicky to another vantage point. I laid down to shoot. Although, I could see the ram clearly, the only time he stopped he was facing straight away. They kept moving. We took off again.

We got to another vantage point. The sheep were in the 500-600 yard range. Kalen wanted me to shoot his gun to take advantage of the ability the adjust the scope for the range one is going to shoot. I agreed and laid prone to shoot. The ram was 527 yards away. When he turned broadside, I shot. The ram collpased in his tracks. Sheep were running everywhere in a big hurry to get out of the area.

Then something interesting and unnerving happened. A rather large bison who had been just below us ran up the hill toward us. I was yelling at the thing. It was less than 15 feet away when it turned away! I honestly thought I was going to have to shoot it. That would have been interesting since the scope was on 22 power!

We proceeded to the ram. When we got to about 300 yards, I saw the rams head pop up. I laid down and popped it with my 300 WM. It was over.

We got to the ram. I was estatic. The mass on this ram was staggering. He was old. The biologist recon he was the oldest sheep on the island.

We took a bunch of pictures. It was getting dark. I was concered about walk the 2 + miles back to the truck with no light over the rough terrain. I gathered all I could carry and headed to the truck. I made it with no problem. The hunt was over in 1 day.

I can't say enough good about Wade Lemon Hunting. I have known him for a very long time. I have hunted the following with him:

Pronghorn
Elk
Mule deer
Mountain lion
Black bear
Desert big horn
Prarie dogs

They have always been professional, reliable, honest and hard working.

The cameraman has most of the pictures. I will post as soon as I get them. The have sone great photos and great videos. On the kill shot, the vapor trail of the bullet is clearly visible.

I had thought that this would compelete my grand slam on sheep. Unfortunately, I failed at Dall's sheep this year for the 3rd time! So much for them being the easiest.

AI is an incredible place. The hunting was difficult and most certainly fair chase for absolutly wild animals. I feel sorry for the guy whose hunt starts Friday.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you Larry, sounds like a hell of a ram. Looking forward to the pictures..
Best Regards,
Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, big congratulations, what a STUD, thats what sheep dreams are made of!! Great picture,
well earned.
Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Ooh my giddy aunt!!! That thing has character in spades.

Nice ram!!

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very few pictures at the moment . I hope to have a bunch more by later in the week.

Thanks all!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Great shooting and congrats on a grand old ram!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see a head on view. That is a tremendous ram. Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty of a ram Larry! He carries his mass awesomely and has a ton of character being broomed off.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Stunning! What mass.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Larry, congrats on one of the best sheep I have ever seen. Good luck on your dall sheep I'm sure you will sort it out. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
That is amazing, congrats Larry

One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
Great ram. Congrats!

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AMAZING and Congrats Larry

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Wow, that boy carries his mass all the way through. Big horn indeed. Congrats!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even more impressive is the fact that this is a California Bighorn and not a Rocky. Congratulations on your ram, he is a giant. Glad you killed an old stud.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Awesome Larry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Even more impressive is the fact that this is a California Bighorn and not a Rocky. Congratulations on your ram, he is a giant. Glad you killed an old stud.

The permit says Rocky Mountain Big Horn.

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Great Ram..Way to go Larry!
Congratulations!!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic ram! Thanks for the report and picture.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edit to PM

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told my raw footage and all photos are on the way to be. I will post more pics , probably next week. The kill shot clip is is rather amazing. The vapor trail is clearly visible . I will attempt to post that clip as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!! What a HOG!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Larry! tu2 I grew up in central Utah, not far from Antelope Island and the Great Salt Lake. Post more pics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SPECTACULAR indeed Larry!!!
Congratulations sir tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful ram. In Utah we don't distinguish between rocky's and cali bighorns. However, if you are someone who does, the bighorns on Antelope Island are California Bighorns.

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a ram! Congratulations, Larry.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a Great Ram Larry !!!! I'm sure I'll be hearing from you on the Alaska forum on getting to the final stage of your grand Slam.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb trophy Larry! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry - from the deer stand in MN

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry - awesome ram!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a well-earned trophy, Congratulations! That photo of the ram with another peeking out from the rocks below is remarkable. You should copyright it and it'll help pay for a future hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ram! congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Larry, Congrats on a successful hunt with a great trophy. Those horns are amazing in size. I love the photos mostly of the mule deer in the distance silhouette.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry. Awesome ram. I hunted with Wade and his crew a few years ago. Good hard working people.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Larry, outstanding ram...with all that mass you will have to reinforce the wall for the mount! Sounds like a great hunt and that long range school certainly paid off. Can't wait for more photos.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
As the cameraman said Larry, HELL OF A SHOT!