Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Cams Banned in AZ
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
AsI type this, the AZ Game Commission is doing the final cleanup after just passing a COMPLETE ban on the use of trail cameras for the take of wildlife in AZ. Goes into effect, Jan. 2022.

The rule, passed unanamously 5-0:

And before discussion begins, here's the definition of "take" as used in AZ:

20. “Take” means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the super aggressive and annoying outfitters can be blamed for this. I can think of a few....

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Some of the super aggressive and annoying outfitters can be blamed for this. I can think of a few....

And other outfitters lobbied for the ban

I hope other states follow Arizona’s lead and ban them there

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some outfitters are old school and don’t do the trail cam thing. I agree it got way out of hand and the jimmy john governor elk tag hunt with A3 was the straw that broke the camels back I’m guessing...

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
This final result has been in the works for more than a year. The topic had been folded, spindled, mutilated, squashed, crunched, stomped, crinkled & run over by a truck. Any comments made at yesterday's meeting was merely repetitive rehashing because it was part of the rule-making process.

The game commission had two options in front of them -- a complete ban or a seasonal ban. It was time to either shit or get off the pot; they either had to pass one or reject both. And there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that they would reject both.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
In MT you cannot use then in hunting season

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, I hope they do something similar here.

The number of trail cameras in the Gila was staggering.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time to watch Craig's list I could use a few more.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumbs up from this guy too.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
it got way out of hand and the jimmy john governor elk tag hunt with A3 was the straw that broke the camels back I’m guessing...

I am behind on this... what was the issue with the Jimmy John’s owner’s elk hunt?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

I am behind on this... what was the issue with the Jimmy John’s owner’s elk hunt?

Irrelevant tangent to the trail cam issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I guess I must not get out enough, but could someone please explain what the issue is? I can’t picture why having a few cameras around where you hunt would give such an enormous advantage over the game that it is unsporting. Lots of states don’t have a problem with hunters sitting over salt block, timed feeder or feed plot even though it is pretty clear those things tilt animals’ behavior to a hunter’s advantage. All the cameras can do is tell you what you could have learned if you parked your butt in the woods for 24 hours a day.
To be clear, I am not advocating for or against the rule change. I really just want to understand what the issues are.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:

Tony,
I don’t doubt that is true, but o would still like to know what the issue was in the JJ elk hunt regarding trail cams.

And if you wouldn’t mind, I would also like to know what the objection is to trail cams in AZ. This thread hasn’t made that clear to me.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony,
I don’t doubt that is true, but o would still like to know what the issue was in the JJ elk hunt regarding trail cams.

And if you wouldn’t mind, I would also like to know what the objection is to trail cams in AZ. This thread hasn’t made that clear to me.

There was NOTHING related about the JJ hunt to trail cams.

The "issue" has been ongoing for two years now, and all that has transpired would fill three pages here. It began because some folks got carried away using them. This latest commission meeting and passage of the rule was merely the culmunation of it all. There's a similar rule in Nevada.

There are many old message threads on the topic on various hunting sites such as Monster Mulies & CouesWhitetail.Com. The latter probably has the best since it's mostly AZ people. Just use 'trail camera' as a search term.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Does this apply to both public and private land?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Does this apply to both public and private land?

Everywhere

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Would not upset me if they banned them everywhere.. Here in Ohio the deer have names based on trail cam pictures.. Patterning a deer now translates to checking trailcam picture so you know exactly what time "Loppyrack" or some other stupid name will come to the feeder. Just pop into your stand 30 min before he arrives, wack him, post lots of pictures on Facebook and go home...

I get tired of the "I've watched him for 4 years (via cellular trailcam) and this Tuesday at 5:15pm I'm gonna "harvest" loppyrack.. Oh and I will video the kill shot so I can stream it on youtube while tellign everyone what bow, arrow, broadhead and camo I used...

So much for honored tradition I guess...

Sorry - rant over...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would not upset me if they banned them everywhere.. Here in Ohio the deer have names based on trail cam pictures.. Patterning a deer now translates to checking trailcam picture so you know exactly what time "Loppyrack" or some other stupid name will come to the feeder. Just pop into your stand 30 min before he arrives, wack him, post lots of pictures on Facebook and go home...

I get tired of the "I've watched him for 4 years (via cellular trailcam) and this Tuesday at 5:15pm I'm gonna "harvest" loppyrack.. Oh and I will video the kill shot so I can stream it on youtube while tellign everyone what bow, arrow, broadhead and camo I used..

Me neither. While not bad in and of themself, like anything else they can be abused when done to excess(ie, 'modern' syn/stainless 209 using, pellet-powdered telescopic equipped muzzle loaders for 'primitive' seasons. My Dad loved those). Outfitters blanketing areas with hundreds of cameras is absurd and unsporting IMO.

At some point, if you watch the animal multiple times per day via cell phone for months or years to pattern it, feed it with food plots and stock tanks and condition its behavior with feeders (such as showing up outside the blind at half time on Saturdays), restrict its movement with high fences, engage in "quality management" for big antlers, that is animal husbandry, you have crossed the line from hunting into the ranching of free range animals. Just me, but there is no thrill in that for me (not flaming, just MHO). It eliminates the thrill of the chase and turns it into a mechanical exercise like slaughtering livestock.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my hunt in Arizona went to one water hole and 13 cameras were on it. If you own private land and want to use cameras I don't have a problem with that. I use a couple to see what size and amount of elk are around. No sense sitting in a spot if nothing is coming by. I don't rely specifically on them. I think they should be banned during hunting season but don't have a problem with them during preseason. Hence people go overboard and wreck it for everybody

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
On my hunt in Arizona went to one water hole and 13 cameras were on it.....

Hence people go overboard and wreck it for everybody

Ok, now I understand the issue. I’ll stop irritating Tony with my questions.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest problems with trail cams on public land.

Is that some camera owners think they have exclusive rights.

To that area because they placed a camera there.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
On my hunt in Arizona went to one water hole and 13 cameras were on it. If you own private land and want to use cameras I don't have a problem with that. I use a couple to see what size and amount of elk are around. No sense sitting in a spot if nothing is coming by. I don't rely specifically on them. I think they should be banned during hunting season but don't have a problem with them during preseason. Hence people go overboard and wreck it for everybody

You make a good point - I don't have issue with people using on their private land. After all, it is their land.. I still feel it is borderline from an ethics standpoint simply due to the optics of how it portrays hunters and hunting...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, now I understand the issue. I’ll stop irritating Tony with my questions.

No irritation hear. All's good. Happy as a clam at high tide. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll disagree from reading the accounts of the parties involved. Trail cameras were very real issue on that debacle like many other high dollar outfitter hunts. As well as overly aggressive outfitters using dubious tactics etc. But certainly not the only issue. Finding a trophy on camera and thinking you “own” it Is most definitely an issue in my opinion. But agreed there are other issues. But I’m am happy with the ban which is unfortunate people can’t control themselves or be reasonable. A typical situation. I believe the story was posted on this forum
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly my point
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
One of the biggest problems with trail cams on public land.

Is that some camera owners think they have exclusive rights.

To that area because they placed a camera there.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s their land but it’s the states animals is the logic in guessing but who knows
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:

You make a good point - I don't have issue with people using on their private land. After all, it is their land.. I still feel it is borderline from an ethics standpoint simply due to the optics of how it portrays hunters and hunting...

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll disagree from reading the accounts of the parties involved. Trail cameras were very real issue on that debacle like many other high dollar outfitter hunts.

No problem. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll disagree from reading the accounts of the parties involved. Trail cameras were very real issue on that debacle like many other high dollar outfitter hunts. As well as overly aggressive outfitters using dubious tactics etc. But certainly not the only issue.

Can you explain. I’m interested to know what transpired. I googled it and didn’t find anything about trail cams and the JJ’s elk hunt.

I agree that water holes covered in cameras and people taking “ownership” of game that they have caught on camera is BS.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One good thing about trail cameras is that sometimes they get the picture of something else like a poacher/trespasser or cougar you didn't know you had or even that stray(for Az.) jaguar out of mexico. High fence ranches in texas couldn't live without them.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’ll disagree from reading the accounts of the parties involved. Trail cameras were very real issue on that debacle like many other high dollar outfitter hunts. As well as overly aggressive outfitters using dubious tactics etc. But certainly not the only issue.

Can you explain. I’m interested to know what transpired. I googled it and didn’t find anything about trail cams and the JJ’s elk hunt.

I agree that water holes covered in cameras and people taking “ownership” of game that they have caught on camera is BS.

JBrown,

Watch the youtube video linked to the first post in the following thread:

HUGE AZ Governor's Tag Elk

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
One more right taken from land owners. Seems like lumping private land in with public land was unrelated to the perceived problem and complaints.

Since our Sheriff could care less about tresspassers... I use cameras heavily for security. I wonder how many ten$ of thousand$ it will cost landowners to defend from the charges of using cameras for security and not for "taking animals" on a hunting ranch????

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my own place . Generally, I have between 35 & 50 cameras running. Are they useful? Absolutely. Do they make it easy to kill a big buck? Absolutely not.

I whacked a monster buck last year. It took me 3 years to get him.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have my own place . Generally, I have between 35 & 50 cameras running. Are they useful? Absolutely. Do they make it easy to kill a big buck? Absolutely not.

Out west it sure makes it easier, especially in dry country. I know of guzzlers that have been strategically drained, people that block water all night to make them come to drink during the day, setting radios on drinkers all night to keep them off the water, surrounding water with multiple spotters where a target animal watered at over night. I don’t have a problem with cameras, I have a problem with assholes that abuse them and fair chase gets thrown out the window.

I would have been cool if they made people pull them 2 weeks before the season like they do in Nevada but I completely understand why they just eliminated them all together.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do it understand how a trail camera can be so decisive and divisive.

So, you have an elk on camera. You still have to engage in legal access to go in there, play the wind, and get lucky to kill him.

The problems described in the post above are not trail camera problems, but the unethical manipulation of water on public land (which is probably illegal).

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep

quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Out west it sure makes it easier, especially in dry country. I know of guzzlers that have been strategically drained, people that block water all night to make them come to drink during the day, setting radios on drinkers all night to keep them off the water, surrounding water with multiple spotters where a target animal watered at over night. I don’t have a problem with cameras, I have a problem with assholes that abuse them and fair chase gets thrown out the window.

I would have been cool if they made people pull them 2 weeks before the season like they do in Nevada but I completely understand why they just eliminated them all together.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

So, you have an elk on camera. You still have to engage in legal access to go in there, play the wind, and get lucky to kill him.

The problems described in the post above are not trail camera problems, but the unethical manipulation of water on public land (which is probably illegal).

The only way people can effectively do those things is with data obtained from trail cameras. Without the knowledge they provide those tactics would be fairly ineffective as you wouldn’t know where the biggest and best animals were or what their patterns are like. The competition for big animals drive people to do stupid shit and knowledge gained from 24/7 surveillance of every water hole in a unit congregates people to those certain areas, gives them the knowledge they need to bend and break rules and it’s simply not ethical in how they’re being utilized.

Not everybody is this way but it only take a few to ruin it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The only way people can effectively do those things is with data obtained from trail cameras. Without the knowledge they provide those tactics would be fairly ineffective as you wouldn’t know where the biggest and best animals were or what their patterns are like. The competition for big animals drive people to do stupid shit and knowledge gained from 24/7 surveillance of every water hole in a unit congregates people to those certain areas, gives them the knowledge they need to bend and break rules and it’s simply not ethical in how they’re being utilized.

Not everybody is this way but it only take a few to ruin it

Thank you for further explaining the relationship between trail cameras and the manipulation of water. I honestly could not even perceive of such interface.

Yes, the law is designed against the lowest common denominator. Laws are designed from the standpoint of stopping the base actor.

The logic present we need to stop the manipulation of water, so remove the instrument (trail cameras) that slows bad actors to manipulate water.

However, I would error on the side of fewer laws, fewer bans, and just codify against and prosecute the act of manipulating the water.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

However, I would error on the side of fewer laws, fewer bans, and just codify against and prosecute the act of manipulating the water.

I agree with this 100%. I was personally hoping they would do like Nevada did and make people take them down 2 or 3 weeks before the season so the right to use wasn’t taken away and the fair chase aspect was protected. This would have been a best case scenario IMO

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with this 100%. I was personally hoping they would do like Nevada did and make people take them down 2 or 3 weeks before the season so the right to use wasn’t taken away and the fair chase aspect was protected. This would have been a best case scenario IMO

I believe the Nevada law bans the use of cams from Aug. 1 thru Dec. 31. It's even longer for those that transmit images, but I don't recall the dates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love trail cams! It’s a non invasive way to scout in many regards. It’s been an unbelievable advantage for me and my scouting. It wouldn’t break my heart if it becomes banned. There is something to be said about the unknown and hunting without modern advantages. Many skills can be lost by modern technologies. IMO this should only be applied to open , crown or USA state lands as it would even the playing fields . Private land you should be able to manage and use the the tools as you see fit, IMO.

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote