New
Find
Notify
Tools

USF&W????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The USF&W used to be all about hunters. Heck it used to called Fish & Game. It has just gotten out of hand (anti-hunting) in my opinion.

How do we take it back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you know, it is part of the Department of the Interior. The Secretary of Interior appoints the head of USFWS and the President appoints the Secretary of Interior.

Elect someone new in 2012 and we are on our way. You know this; you were just trolling for an answer.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Blanco Co. you are right I do know the heirarchy...but even through the Bush/Cheney years and long before...there has started to be an anti-hunting overtone in USF&W. I want change the infrastructure.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparantly the hunting lobby is not significant enough to matter to Pubs or Crats in office.

These federal agencies grow legs and become a self perpetuating industry unto themselves.

Can you say BATF.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are in the business of politics, they go to the highest bidder. they will also always be pro-regulation, as the more revenue they produce, the more income they will recieve from up stream. a recipe for exactly what we have.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
they are in the business of politics, they go to the highest bidder. they will also always be pro-regulation, as the more revenue they produce, the more income they will recieve from up stream. a recipe for exactly what we have.

Brad,

What are your thoughts on how to change the bureaucracy?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are hopelessly broken, like most other government agencies. I think our time would be better spent doing anything we could to keep them away from responsibilities that actually belong to the state. I hate to direct you to such an abortion of a post but if you could wade through the vitriol, you would see that is the basis of my issue on the Lacey Act and related post now to be found in the crater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

An honest answer- if impractical...

If you want to reform USFW, give up your equine practice and become a GS whatever and work your way up the ranks until you become a supervisor.

Then start playing the democrat game, but with a twist.

Only hire guys who hunt and think similarly to you. Give substandard reviews to the guys who you disagree with philosophically.

Hopefully there will be enough of you to start moving the civil service bureaucracy more to the pro hunting side.

The problem is that only folks with either a VERY big ax to grind or a very limited amount of ability tend to want to stay in a position with relatively low pay, constantly kissing rear of everyone who got there before them and the political class as well. Most of the folks on your side know that they can make more $$$ and hunt and fish more for the most of their life by working in the private sector.

By placing civil service the way we have and adding unions to public employment, while it prevents a changeover of the whole service each time an election is run (a la Tammany Hall) it also tends to create a large bureaucracy that is only interested in expanding itself with the least amount of responsibility and the most amount of power it can.

This is not to say that there are not individuals in USFW who are hard working capable public servants, but the culture is not conductive to it.

With your degree you would be a shoo in there, as the unions do value education over most things.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Lane,

An honest answer- if impractical...

If you want to reform USFW, give up your equine practice and become a GS whatever and work your way up the ranks until you become a supervisor.

Then start playing the democrat game, but with a twist.

Only hire guys who hunt and think similarly to you. Give substandard reviews to the guys who you disagree with philosophically.

Hopefully there will be enough of you to start moving the civil service bureaucracy more to the pro hunting side.

The problem is that only folks with either a VERY big ax to grind or a very limited amount of ability tend to want to stay in a position with relatively low pay, constantly kissing rear of everyone who got there before them and the political class as well. Most of the folks on your side know that they can make more $$$ and hunt and fish more for the most of their life by working in the private sector.

By placing civil service the way we have and adding unions to public employment, while it prevents a changeover of the whole service each time an election is run (a la Tammany Hall) it also tends to create a large bureaucracy that is only interested in expanding itself with the least amount of responsibility and the most amount of power it can.

This is not to say that there are not individuals in USFW who are hard working capable public servants, but the culture is not conductive to it.

With your degree you would be a shoo in there, as the unions do value education over most things.

Holy Cow, you just described the Indian Health Service for the most part.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bureaucracy is a bureaucracy....

Big Grin

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
A bureaucracy is a bureaucracy....

Big Grin

Those may be the truest words posted in a Looooong time.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the consensus is that the USF&W agency/bureaucracy is unchangeable???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think the only plan we came up with was for YOU to save us. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Actually, I think the only plan we came up with was for YOU to save us. Eeker

Brad,
You are soooo helpful. Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say "unchangeable", but barring changes in how the agency operates, it will be VERY difficult.

If the science becomes unassailable (which we both know is pretty unlikely) that consumptive use is the only way that animals will be saved, then even the powers that be won't stop it.

However, unless we break the stranglehold that long service civil service holds on the government, I can't see any real changes in any of the agencies.

If the courts slap them down, it might get better for a time, but barring a bunch of "True Believers" from the hunting side being willing to go and become a "class" and somehow being able to pull it off in to getting in, I see no way of short or long term major change.

And as hunters become more and more a minority in this country, it will likely get even worse.

Yes, I'm kind of gloomy about the long term prospects, but the NRA and concealed carry types pulled it off, so its possible.