Tools

The Right Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Right Lion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
Any idea why the visual aids used in the on line article would be different than the ones used in the actual magazine?

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you read the article out of the Safari Magazine?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then I assume you saw this picture? What do you think about the statement in the caption?

"Trail cams are a wonderful tool. At first glance (left) this lion has an interesting mane, but the camera kept snapping and he was with a female (right). No point in sitting for a closer look!"

What would the LCTF recommend as "best practices" in this scenario?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Definition of a Huntable Male Lion states that a lion should not be taken if it heads a pride with dependent cubs.

That lioness being present makes it likely that there are cubs in that pride...as she is young and vibrant and the male is none too old. So it is likely they are productive and it is going to be a waste of time to sit for that lion. If it was the only thing you had cooking...it might be worth some closer observation with a blind and the encounter itself would be entertaining. But...if you had another on bait...it might be time better spent to sit there.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would you be looking for in "closer observation"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cubs, lactating females, or heavy pregnant females. And...a better age assessment of the male.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long would you wait & observe a male coming to bait with females before you felt confident enough to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the females were not at any stage of pregnancy or there were no cubs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could never say: "beyond a shadow of a doubt that the females were not at any stage of pregnancy or there were no cubs"

After a "period" you could make a likely or unlikely call. That period would vary on the situation and also the PH's knowledge of known prides in his area.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could never say: "beyond a shadow of a doubt that the females were not at any stage of pregnancy or there were no cubs"

Then how could a PH even with regular contact with the pride say that none of the females are pregnant? If they were, and the male was shot, would this not result in the same infanticide when a new male comes in? Would your organization not reccomend erring on the side of caution to prevent this from happening?

quote:
After a "period" you could make a likely or unlikely call.

So your organization would condone after a "period" of time watching a pride come to the bait with no cubs, going ahead and killing the pride male? Once again, I thought we were to err on the side of caution?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I/We do think one should always err on the side of caution. Pride males should be steered away from if there is any question. Nothing short of Divine Intervention will be 100% accurate.

The ave gestation period for a female is 3 2/3 months (110 days). Ninety-days pregnant or more females are fairly prominant. Lactating females are fairly prominant. No work I know of would suggest a cub born 30 days after a new male has entered a pride will be killed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you feel pictures from a camera at a bait site is enough to determine that a pride feeding at that bait does not have cubs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Do you feel pictures from a camera at a bait site is enough to determine that a pride feeding at that bait does not have cubs?

If you had enough pics over a long-enough period of time...they could be enough.

J. Lane Easter, DVM