New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krags
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is nice. Recommend just putting a "plug" in the back and get a low ramp for your front sight.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
yes I am putting a slot filler in the back and an old school banded ramp like a Lyman or a Redfield on it for a front.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I installed a new front sight on the little beauty this morning and took it out to shoot on Fathers Day with my boys.
From 100 yards I took a couple sighting shots at our gong then made a few adjustments and put it on the paper for 3 shots.
The group measured an honest 1.5" center to center. In my opinion not that bad for a 113 year old rifle, peep sights and factory ammo,(180 grain Winchester silver box)and I must admit I am not a practiced iron sight shooter.
I love this old Krag and it really shoots!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is about where my Krag shoots as well at 100 yards! I'm out of elevation adjusment though on my Rice peep; so no point in fixing the windage until I get a new front post. Looking good, I feel a Krag cow hunt coming on. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have more adjustment!
Ijust posted the first 3 I put on the paper, the next time I shoot it we will be cutting bullseye's at the 100 yard target.
Show me your front sight sometime I may have something that will help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sporterized Krag wears a low conventional Williams front ramp. Height of the front bead above the barrel is .7 inches and this seams to work well with the Lyman 57K rear receiver sight.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I swear this may be the last picture I post of my Krag but here is my banded front sight I installed Fathers Day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for information, visited CMP North Store at Camp Perry this past weekend and they have new mfg. Krag barrels in stock if anyone wanting to replace worn barrel. Believe they are from Krieger, but are buttoned version.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to photos of a Krag sporter I acquired a few months back. It was built by Native American Elmer Kay in the 1930s.

http://s396.photobucket.com/al...l423/Krag%20Sporter/

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Here is a link to photos of a Krag sporter I acquired a few months back. It was built by Native American Elmer Kay in the 1930s.

http://s396.photobucket.com/al...l423/Krag%20Sporter/

Beautiful.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the Krag pics posted!!! Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately it reminded me of the time at a local gunshow, two-three years ago. I began a conversation with an elderly gent behind me in line at show concession stand. He had a sporter Krag to sell and it was in his son's dealer booth. I'd spent the money I'd brought to show already and lacked funds to be really interested. Get to his son's booth and there I viewed one very nicely done Krag sporter in very good condition. Blue on metal was soooo beautiful. Elderly gent...in his late 70s or early 80s, had inherited it from an uncle many years before. Never bothered to ask him what he wanted for it, just assumed his price well above what I could afford. I thanked him for showing me the rifle and wished him luck on selling it. At next show, a few weeks later, spoke with his son....asked what did his Dad get for the Krag? He rolled his eyes and said, "Dad sold it for $150." I darn near cried.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
Krag is the bottom one of course. Just got it back that day, new bluing

Again the Krag is on the right

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steph123
posted Hide Post
Paul, do you have to take your scope off to remove your bolt? Like your Krag, BTW.

Posts: 139 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote