New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 03-A3 Value Quickly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just come into an 03-A3 and I need a value on it. (It doesn't seem to fit in either the Modern Military or the Sporterized Forums, but this is closest, I think.)

These are the newer pics I said I'd post...

It's an 03-A3 (Remington, IIRC) in a military stock - I suspect its original owner bought it from CMP 30 - 40 years ago. It has not been sporterized. It's not National Match. The last time I saw it it had a web sling and had no rust - plain vanilla good condition.

Pending more info, can someone give me a floor value, please?

Unfortunately, I don't have more info or a photo yet, but I'll provide that ASAP the day of this posting. That's not much info, but I'll post it when I can get to it in a few hours.

Serial number corresponds with a January 1944 date.

Barrel marking is "RA" and "10/43", which puts it a few months after the serial number date.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
$400-800. Just look at Gunbroker and look at what is actually getting bids.

Here is a beautiful gun, now at $521. If I had room in the safe I'd start bidding:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=311623767

I think 1903's are way undervalued. Best of luck.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. I did that before I posted, but nothing showed up. Midnight glitch, I guess.

Yeah, they are nice. I appreciate your checking for me.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I sold my smith corona a few years ago for 700,could easily get more now.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most 03A3's in excellent original condition around here go more routinely for $800-$1200.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1466 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can compare the prices and condition of the rifle at www.oldguns.net
they also have photos
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I'll check. The basic condition of this rifle appears to me to be "un-inssued" (stock still has shine on it and there appear to be few dings), but I'll have to research it a little before I can say whether the parts all match.

I decided to take my time with it rather than to try to do a quick sale on something I don't completely understand yet.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:

I decided to take my time with it rather than to try to do a quick sale on something I don't completely understand yet.

Very sound thinking...for both sales and purchases. If more folks took that approach with purchases it would put an awfully lot of "fake-builders" underwater and, hopefully, eventually out of business.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
scant stock - i don't remember why that stands out ... good lord, 1200 for a springfield? its my second fav turnbolt, after the 36 mexican, but dang it, they were 150-200 10 years ago .. shouldnt be a cent more than 400...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38346 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's no problem, you can buy them "sporterized" for next to nothing and the actions are usually untouched.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've posted up the pics I mentioned earlier that I'd update. The markings all match, indicating Remington, and the barrel and receiver are reasonable for a match. This appears to me to be unissued, but I'm no expert.

I appreciate the help. I'll indicate here in the next few days when I'm ready to post it to Classified here in AR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That stock is a winner! Great shape and wonderful cartouches. You say all the numbers match? Trigger group everything is Remington right? Do you know what the muzzle and bore gauges at? If it gauges good this thing is at the top of the scale. Low end $800 to a collector. At an auction the sky is the limit but $1100 is not unreasonable. That said you can still find some for $550 but they sure are not in this kind of shape. If you don't buy this would you send it my way? Its a beauty!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh your selling! In that case it is only worth... Wink Seriously I think 800 is a fair area but I could even be low. I am no expert either but I buy enough of these to have a fair idea of the value. Too many variables yet.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I don't have a formal muzzle wear gauge, but an M2 Ball set into the muzzle looks to me to be muzzle wear = 0. I haven't had it out of the stock, so I don't know if numbers match. All of the external fittings are marked "R." From the look of the screws, though, it appears the action has never been out of the stock - the bluing on them isn't scratched.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was refurbished at raritan arsenal, so it was likely out of the stock at least the one time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
delloro,

That's interesting. Can you explain, please?

I think I found it - "RA" means Ruritan Arsenal. Why would something built so late need a refurbish? I'm amending this statement...

Re-reading the m1903.com site, it appears the "RA" on the side, when accompanied by the "FJA" doesn't mean "Ruritan Arsenal," but rather "Remington Arms" new manufacture, when accompanied by the "FJA" stamp, "Frank J. Adams." Also, there is only one "P" behind the trigger guard, and indications are there would be two if it had been refurbished. A Riritan Arsenal refurbish would be styled "RA-P" if proof-fired, though it might not have been proofed if it were inspected only, rather than refurbished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might be right about the RA thing. and the mix of blue and parked parts does look appropriate.

check the CMP forums, Rick the Librarian knows about those things.

refurb or not, it is beautiful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at 1100 low to 2400 high if all original as issued, never been monkeyed with or rebuilt, and all internals match.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I have put it up on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=318228099