New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok. Providing I have. 8 twist on my 7x57 I am wanting to shoot 175 grain bullets. I am looking for deep penetration. I have a few Nosler partition and can load some South Fork semi spitzers in 175. I have a lot of core loc 175 soft point round nose.

What's some of halls experiences? Or opinions. I almost hate to ask that one.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends what you're hunting. Any of the bullets that you mention in the 7X57 is capable of taking deer or elk If you do your part.
At a velocity around 2500fps. Those bullets have to do nice work out to 300 yd. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nilgai.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So as not to use up my limited supply of BBCs, if Woodleigh makes a bullet for the cartridge I'm using, that's what I use.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For elk and moose and bear. I would look at Cutting Edge Bullet Raptors. They are monolithic bullets so you would shoot lighter 130-150 grains.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3337 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
So as not to use up my limited supply of BBCs, if Woodleigh makes a bullet for the cartridge I'm using, that's what I use.

I ran the 160gn Woodleigh at 2700fps from my custom DWM 7x57

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
280 Rem, 175 Swift A frame, 2650 fps,kudu lazered at 286 yds. One shot broke both shoulders and kept on going. That's my extreme penetration experience.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Nilgai.

oldYa got me there. I never shot one of those so I don't know. But I would give it a try. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,

I have used since 1974, and use, my 7x57 mostly with 175 grs bullets. For hunting big Red Deer and really big Wild Boar, the 175 grs bullets are outstanding!! If there is a perfect bullet for big animals it is the FANTASTIC Nosler Partition. Nothing compares with them. 175 and 160 grs. Soft enough for expansion at low impact veloities and strong enough for incredible penetration. Almost never found one of these 7mm Nosler P inside any animal.
It is very easy to get 2600 f/s in the 7x57.
I cannot think of a better bullet for your needs.

Good luck!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a BBC.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno but I would NOT google BBC if I were you.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny!. Must be special if they are worth hording. Brit commentators are in short supply here as well.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my guess is accurate, Bitteroot Bullet Company .
The maker of the first bonded bullets.

Mr. Fisk,
Having ‘harvested’ more than 10, I would suggest at least the 160gn NP in the 7x57 and would not argue if your rifle chooses the 175gn NP .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all. I have some 160 ss north fork I will load up and have 175 partitions. I will see what the gun shoots best and go from there.
I never mind passing up a shot that kills my shot placement and entire hunt. It's about the hunt and doing it right. Not about the kill. I can buy meat but cannot buy peace of mind from a bad shot. A good bullet insures that it is done right. Once again, thanks.

www.jerryfisk.com

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in a 7mm bore, i bet a hard cast 175 would kill nilgai --- that's a pretty high SD, and if you want to use cup and core bullets, take whichever shoots best in your rifle --- the "mild" ballistics of the 7x57 should mean the bullet don't come part --

while nilgai are DURABLE, in that if you don't make a well placed shot, they tend to run off, at 38mph, they aren't wearing flak jackets .. placement is more important than "energy" ..

good luck, they can be very challenging to hunt

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed several with my 7x57 using the 160gr TSX.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nilgai are wearing flak jackets. Their hide is tough and over an inch thick. Heavy bonded-core bullets are the way to go.

Calibers larger than a 7x57 are desireable. Nilgai in South Texas are very big. 900-1,000 lbs. They are tough and as big as a horse.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Nilgai are wearing flak jackets. Their hide is tough and over an inch thick. Heavy bonded-core bullets are the way to go.

Calibers larger than a 7x57 are desireable. Nilgai in South Texas are very big. 900-1,000 lbs. They are tough and as big as a horse.

I totally agree with the fact they are tough. However I have personally killed several with the 7x57 using 140 and 160 gr TSX's and several with my 308 using 168gr TSX's. Either rifle is more than enough gun given a bonded or mono bullet.
The hide on the necks of the bulls may be thick but any deer rifle caliber will penetrate easily. The hide is elastic, that is where the problems arise in that they do not leave great blood trails, with any caliber.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good bullets are critical. the larger calibers are more likely to leave a blood trail. I've seen adequate blood trails left by 375's.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to hunt Nilgai with a 175 gr. Nosler at my near 2600 FPS inasmuch as I witnessed a elephant shot in the heart with one and it ran 100 yards and died leaving a monster blood trail...Nilgai are not as tough as elephants..

Howsomever, My Nilgai rifle will always be the .338 Win and it sure kills Nilgai with finality...and elephant with a 404 for the same reason, they just do a better job Im thinking....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the wonderful things about the 7x57 is that it is designed for heavy bullets. With its long throat and fast twist the cartridge tends to shoot best with 160-175 grain bullets. And with the cartridges moderate speed, nearly any decent bullet of those weights kills very well with deep penetration and adequate expansion. I have used mostly 175's in my four 7x57 rifles, Nosler partitions for most game, Norma RN soft points for some more, and some with S&B cheap soft points. All worked with no failures on Moose, Elk, Wolf, and Deer. I would personally avoid hard bullets designed for fast speeds like the TSX. If forced to pick one bullet for everything I'd hunt with the 7x57, it would likely be the 160 grain Nosler partition, just because I have used it a lot in other 7mm cartridges as well as some in the 7x57, and it always worked, and shoots a touch flatter than the 175s. If you decide 175's are the best for you, again Nosler Partitions always perform as expected.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
My first big game rifle when I was a kid was a m93 Mauser. In it I used nothing but Corelokt and Powerpoint 175 gr. factory loads. A little later on I learned to reload so I went to Partitions. They all worked very well on the blacktail deer, elk and blackbear where I live.

I don't know if fancier bullets are needed most of the time at 7x57 velocities but that's one of the nice things about Nosler Partitions they open up easily and still penetrate deep.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never built a custom rifle for myself persay, Ive hunted withsome I built to sell, but finally at 83 I decided to build myself a rifle just like I wanted..so I did.

It,s finished, test fired, and sighted in. Its only short of engraving and rust blue, it will be for display and showing off, and I will hunt the hell out of it! it won't be babied,pampered or abused for that matter, but it will become used..

My final choice to be made was choice of caliber, came down to two, a 30-06 or 7x57... Its a long throated 7x57 Mauser on a small ring G-33/40 Mauser action. of course it was! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up taking a bull, one shot kill with a 160 grain Nosler. I studied bones and organs both in standing and laying down before I went..just so I would know what was the head end. Smiler and I would know where I wanted to hit. Once again, thanks.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Thanks y'all.
I never mind passing up a shot that kills my shot placement and entire hunt. It's about the hunt and doing it right. Not about the kill. I can buy meat but cannot buy peace of mind from a bad shot. A good bullet insures that it is done right. Once again, thanks.

One of the better post I've read in a while.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You made a perfect choice, the 160 gr. Nosler partition is an awesome bullet for an awesome caliber that Ive shot for near 70 years..and Ive shot about everything with it..

I like the 130 gr. Speer for deer and Pronghorn.
I like the 160 or 175 gr. partitions for elk, deer, and whatever. I prefer the 175 for Africa and its larger animals. In other words anything I would use a 30-06 on I would use the long throated 7x57 loaded with H414 and pushed to its limit on...

My next elk and deer with be with a bullet Ive not tried in the 7x57, a Nosler Accubond, and I know it will be a dandy, I have no doubt.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120