THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Choice of Factory Ammo for 30-06?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choice of Factory Ammo for 30-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Hey fellas, N E 1 have good (and, I mean GOOD) recommendations for their choice of factory round ammunition for a 30-06? I have a custom made '06 that looks like a john Rigby stalking rifle and it's VERY picky on what it likes. I've shot Remington Core Lokt's through it and it looked like u hit the target with a shotgun.

I was given a box of hand loaded 160 grain Nossler Partitions that uses AA4350, which it loves. BUT, I do not hand load. Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mav, if you know the exact formula, send it and a loaded round to either safari Arms in NY or Superior Ammunition. They'll load whatever you want. The loaded round will give them the COL, brass type, primer type, etc.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I humbly submit the 180 grain Winchester loaded accubond.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
If it is picky, not sure how good a recommendation would work out. Federal makes some premium ammo with Nosler partitions. I have never heard of a 160 in 30 caliber so guessing that's a typo.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is such a broad statement and darn near impossible for anyone to accurately predict. If you have a particular game that you generally hunt, that would be a good starting place. For example, if you are primarily a white tail deer hunter, the 150 to 165 grain bullet is plenty. Buy Winchester Power Points and Federal blue box and see if they shoot. If not, try some others. If large African plains game or elk is on the menu, try a variety of 180 grainers. I have a custom '06 and it shoots everything well. I load 110 grain to 240 grain bullets and everything is under 1" at 100 yards. In my opinion, it is perplexing that a custom barreled '06 would not be a 2 MOA or better rifle with just about anything. Do you know what the twist rate is?

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Try federal blue box in 150 and 180 grains. Generally onevof them workscwell.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having spent all that money on a rifle that won't shoot, you're gonna have to spend a little more and buy several boxes of different brands and wights and see what works. What do you plan to hunt? A Remington Core Lokt in 180 grs has probably killed most stuff walking the planet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite factory .30-06 load is Barnes Vortex 180 grain. It shoots well in my main rifle. But I've had a picky rifle in .300 Win Mag. before and factory is not a good solution to that sort of problem because even when you find something that works, when they change powder lots, there is no guarantee it will still shoot. If you don't handload, I'd send it to Superior or one of its competitors and have them work up a load. Unusual for a .30-06 to be that picky, in my experience.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 180 grn Barnes Vortex TTSX. I have a Win featherweight classic. I have tried a good number of differing factory loads. I get consistent 1/2" groups (sometimes 1 hole) groups with the Barnes.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fact of the matter is: with a "picky" rifle you will have to test fire different ammo to figure out what it likes - just like with a 22 rim fire. No way past it. Until you shoot it in your rifle it's all guesswork.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trying different ammo is all good and fine until you buy a different lot number and have to start all over again.

IME your rifle not shooting Remington corelocts well is a good thing, most rifles I have dealt with that shoot them well is not a fan of any other bullet.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you should start handloading.

Do it, it's fun! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

+1
Also the posts about picking the same lots of ammo is sound.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta has a seriously good sale right now on .30-06 ammo. This is loaded by Norma and is very high quality.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Beretta has a seriously good sale right now on .30-06 ammo. This is loaded by Norma and is very high quality.

The actual problem as I see it is: I and others have posted that if you have a 30-06 that will not shoot well with any decent 165-180gr bullet ahead of a decent load of 4350, you're better off just selling the rifle.
I've had half a dozen 30-06s. I start with a load of 55grs IMR4350 and work up to 58grs (with a 165). I've never tried any magic bullets nor monos, but that has worked for Speer, Sierra, Hornady, and Core Lokts.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

+1
Also the posts about picking the same lots of ammo is sound.

+2! You don't have to go to great expense, either and can experiment with small quantities of different loads with relative ease.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
there is no way to tell in advance but give this stuff a a try

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...soft-point-box-of-20

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another opinion. Try cheap first. I have an almost picky 30-06. By that, I mean it shoots most loads at 1-1.5". One day I picked a box of Prvi 165 grain ammo just because I didn't have time to load for it at that time. I found it shoots at about .75-1". I bought three more boxes and just went hunting.....problem solved until I get more time.

BTW, it killed the two deer I shot with it, one shot each, DRT.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50$ for a box of ammo.[plus shipping]
I hope that is in pesos or rubles and not American money.
jezus.

I paid less than that for my last reloading press.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
It may be a typo. My father (formerly known as doubless here on AR) did all my hand loading for me. I lost him last February after a 4 year battle with cancer. I'll have to go back and find what he cooked up. B/C that ammo turned that gun of mine into a tack DRIVER out to 200yds.
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
If it is picky, not sure how good a recommendation would work out. Federal makes some premium ammo with Nosler partitions. I have never heard of a 160 in 30 caliber so guessing that's a typo.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Planning on hunting white tail and feral hog.
the core Lokts were all over the canvas after firing about 10 rounds through it.
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Having spent all that money on a rifle that won't shoot, you're gonna have to spend a little more and buy several boxes of different brands and wights and see what works. What do you plan to hunt? A Remington Core Lokt in 180 grs has probably killed most stuff walking the planet.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations!! sounds like all options are limitless, till I find something that pleases me. Thanks again. Here is to making new friends!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Try Winchester black box ammo, I don't recall but maybe it is called "Supreme"? I know the black box ammo is very accurate in several of my brothers rifles and is available in several different bullet offerings.

Condolences on the loss of your father.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a few -06's that are much happier with 168 grain bullets. I'd suggest the Barnes VOR-TX 168's, or the Nosler-loaded 180 Accubonds.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words about my father's passing. He was an extremely smart, and talented individual. I'll check out your recommendation. Thank you for helping a guy in need...

quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Try Winchester black box ammo, I don't recall but maybe it is called "Supreme"? I know the black box ammo is very accurate in several of my brothers rifles and is available in several different bullet offerings.

Condolences on the loss of your father.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew your dad from another website as well as this one.
I'm sorry for your loss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with black hills, first then nosler in this situation.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Head on over to Cabelas and buy a box each from various makers with bullets you want to shoot. Take them to the range and see what shoots best. Go back to Cabelas and buy all the remaining ammo for the one(s) that shoot well.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give federal fusion a try, its on a rebate for a few more weeks. I've had good luck in several rifles as back up ammo to handloads, or just as cheap ammo to sight in so I'm not wasting time and components with handloads.

Sorry about your loss. I'm curious though, what happened to his loading equipment?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'd go buy 3 or 4 boxes of stuff, 165gr to start, and if they didn't work, 180s

federal premium
hornady red box
winchester supreme
and hornady full boar
https://www.hornady.com/ammuni...-gr-gmx-full-boar#!/

though 165 remington may be fine....

there's 5 boxes ... it will likely like one of those

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Federal blue-box 180- and 150-grain loads in several different rifles. They rarely hit full advertised velocity in a 24" barrel, but they're usually accurate.

Federal Fusion is also earning a good reputation for being slow but accurate.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I hear that THIS is the best way to find your favorite factory ammo. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i'd go buy 3 or 4 boxes of stuff, 165gr to start, and if they didn't work, 180s

federal premium
hornady red box
winchester supreme
and hornady full boar
https://www.hornady.com/ammuni...-gr-gmx-full-boar#!/

though 165 remington may be fine....

there's 5 boxes ... it will likely like one of those

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes Vor-tx - 165 or 180 - whatever is more accurate

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to try them out, stop when you find a good'un...What other folks guns shoot well may or may not work in your gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Billyram
posted Hide Post
I have 2 30-06s that will shoot Fed. Fusion ammo very well. My custom 30-06 will shoot 3/4" with $20 a box 150gr Fusion. My old stainless camo Steyr likes Remington HyperSonic and shots around 1".Some of the most accurate ammo I've shot has been Fed and Nosler BT ammo.
Billy

Posts: 2 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 26 November 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
truth is, only your rifle will tell you what it likes, a long time ago '25 years' I read where you need to shoot at least 3 brands of ammo in you rifle to see which one shoots the best, just like when i hand load, I usually try 2 or 3 brands of powder and bullets, and i usually start in the middle and go up..

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, the only way is to try them until you find one..The other thing is whats a good shooter and whats not..I know a lot of ole boys that swear by a certain factory ammo, and they have no idea where or if the gun shoots at all.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote