New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WBY, anyone a fan
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ive only owned one 300 Wby,and for a short time only, and it was a hell of a killer on what little big game I shot with it..

Ive observed its effectiveness all over the world, mostly in NA continent and in Africa, and again its always appeared to me to literally be a killing machine..

That said, I never really cared for it and have no reasoning behind that, as its passed all the tests in flying colors, maybe its the blast or recoil but Ive shot many calibers bigger..Maybe I just got bored with its success and excellences in the field, I just don't know..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I like the caliber, probably one of Roy's most popular?

I searched for a deal on a left handed one last year and never came across one. Was really hoping for a wood stock without a muzzlebrake. A .300 Ultra ended up getting the nod for the open spot in the safe, but I think that the Weatherby has a little more class. If anything else, there will be a chance to own one soon enough.

I should really quit buying firearms and start purchasing more hunts.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I like the caliber although not a Weatherby rifle..I have taken it to Africa many times, but now use it for elk..It puts them right down.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I bought mine in the early 60's. I have taken it to many countries and many different climates. It always performed as expected. I just had it totally refurbished. It's in the Mark V action and the deluxe stock. I like the deluxe stock, looks good, feels good. For the one rifle hunter it's hard to beat. That's my opinion.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have two 700s in .300 Roy. Both are superbly accurate - much better than Dad's Mk 5. Never loaded any of them beyond H&H ballistics, ie., 180s at 2900 to 2950 fps. Never saw the need cuz the animals never complained.

If Rem had been chambering 700s in .300 H&H when I acquired those two I'd might have gone with the old girl.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately a killing machine. My one complaint is the recoil which leaves one guessing where the animal went IF not dropped on the spot.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely am a fan. As I have said here on AR I started with just a regular 270 then after college ( thats a while back ) I got a 300 Wby of course in Mark V. I loved the caliber and used it a lot hunting. I later added a 378 too after it scope cut one of my buddies on its first shot.

I didn't reload at the time. First I was busy working and being young with a new family other things just got in the way. Plus I think the Weatherby ammo was very good.

Later I moved away from Weatherby and tried Sakos and while I liked them I moved on yet again to Winchesters and Model 70s where I ultimately stayed. I think that the stocks just fit me better and by this time I been around enough to know.

After some years of collecting various Winchesters, I said to myself you know I did more hunting and shooting when I had a lot less steel in the safe. So I regrouped yet again.

I went all the way around and ended up back about where I started which was with 270s and 300 Wbys but in Model 70s, and 378s to handle the hunting I will do until I don't go anymore. It was a fun run, but I am happy at where it ended up.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I love the .300 Weatherby. If I had to choose one for North America that would be it. Mine is a Weatherby Accumark that has been with me everywhere. Fast, flat and hits hard, what's not to like.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with mine after I got a suppressor on it. It's a SAKO L61-R re-barreled and in a McMillan Hunter stock. The suppressor turned it into a pussy cat that kills like a lion.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 rifles that are chambered in 300 wby. Three on the Remington 700 action and one is a Weatherby vanguard. (Kind of entertaining the thought of letting the vanguard go.) The 300 does a super job on whitetails here in TX. Makes for an accurate rifle shooting catalina goats and Black Hawaiian Rams across the small canyons in west Texas and is just awesome on large hogs in South TX. I also have a 270, and 6mm for deer and such plus other guns I could use, for serious hunting I take the 300 wby with me.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I like the .300 and .340 both. My .300 is a Mark V Deluxe and my .340 was one of the Sporter series.

When I retired I ended up selling the .340, even though I had killed a lot of stuff with it. I kept the .300 and still use it.

My only gripe about either was/is recoil off the bench when sighting in, my .375 is a lot more comfortable in that aspect, one of the reasons I kept it and sold the .340.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much recoil for me. I would rather shoot a 338 win mag.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was always a .30/06 Sprg. kinda guy; I guess because I'm a leftie and refuse to shoot right-handed rifles, so when I was a young Lt. in the Army I bought a L/H Savage 110 in .30/06 Sprg. (because the Remington 700 was financially out-of-reach at the time) and hunted a life-time with it.

Then @ 10 years ago I purchased a 300 Weatherby and wondered why I had never previously discovered the joys of this cartridge in my life?

Can't say enough good about it ..... superbly accurate and like you said; just seems to have a magical mystique about the dose of killing it delivers. Most animals collapse at the shot, and the remaining few take a coupla staggering steps prior to toppling over, so my blood tracking skills don't get much of work-out any more.

Two of my other hunting pals were so impressed they also purchased the 300 so there's now 3 of of shooting the 300 Witherbee ..... we're all Happy Campers.

I shot it for three years and then added a Vias muzzle brake, which has now been replaced with an A-Tec Mega-Hertz+ silencer ..... in all three variations it's still The Business. The recoil is certainly tolerable as is, the Vias reduced it alot and with the can the level of recoil is down to about - well, almost nothing.

I've shot several hundred Barnes 165/168 gr. TTSX's and the same of 150/165 gr. Hornady GMX's through it, a handful to work up loads, another couple to confirm zero and the remainder all at game. This cartridge with these bullets has been really successful for me.

It's not the only horse in the stable and I'm fortunate enough to have a purpose rifle for most any kind and type of hunting I do; but when long(ish) range(s) and larger (red deer sized) critters are on the menu; this is the rifle I turn to.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Before I got out of the Army in 1970, I hadn't done very much big game hunting. I think that I had only killed two or three relatively small mule deer bucks and one bull elk. Then after I got out and went back home to Colorado, the hunting bug bit me and with the help Weatherby's catalogs in the early 70s, I got bit harder and harder.

For 40 years I admired Weatherby rifles, and particularly the .300 Weatherby. But my .30-06 (that I later rechambered to .30 Gibbs) kept my freezers full of elk meat, and even put a couple of bull Shiras moose on my wall, so I couldn't justify buying a .300 Weatherby.

Then sometime around 2004 an apparent overload basically ended the life of my beloved .30 Gibbs, and after a few years of hunting with my 7mm Rem mag I saw a good price on a Weatherby vanguard in .300 Weatherby, so in 2009 I finally bought one. It had a blues barrel and action, but the walnut stock was relatively plain and was too short for me, so, and because I like to tinker with stocks, I found a Fancy with feather crotch Claro walnut that I fitted and hand checkered for my new .300 Weatherby. I also put a recoil reducer in its stock and had a KDF muzzle brake installed on it.

I topped this rifle with a Leopold VX-3 4.5-14x scope with the B&C reticle, and this rifle has quickly become my new, most favorite rifle. It shoots several different bullets and weights of bullets moa or less, and I have settled on 168 grain Hornaday HPBT bullets for practice and 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for hunting.

With the recoil reducer and muzzle brake its felt recoil is less than the recoil of my .308 Winchester. I've used this rifle on several western US hunts, a New Zealand hunt, and three African hunts. Two years ago I used this .300 Weatherby on my Mozambique Leopard hunt, and in 50 years of big game hunting, that leopard was the first animal that I've shot and actually saw it drop through the scope.

I only wish that I had bought my .300 Weatherby 40 years earlier.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good replies that show what a great caliber it is..I spent a lifetime with the 300 H&H and .338 Win. with about everything else tossed in and out...Had one 300 Wby, shot some stuff with it and got bored with instant kills and drt. shocker

Actually I just liked playing with all the calibers I could think off,but always had the 06, 338 7x57 300 H&H handy for the big stuff..Im even cutting back to the 30-06, and 338 with a .308 Savage 99 and a 7x57 G33-40 these days and that number gets smaller every year..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only downside to the .300 Weatherby is you have to
Say "nuttin hits harder than a Weatherby" after
Every kill. It's not that bad after you get used to it.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 338 Sako would just beat the heck out of you. It beat me and also it drove me crazy. It would shoot good and then not. I can't say how much gunsmithing work was done on it before I finally got rid of it and the Sakos too. Sako and Stoeger built that rifle up for me special too. It still would brutalize you shooting it and then hit and then miss.

My 300 Wby in Model 70 is both consistent and very shootable. It now is in its McMillan stock and scoped up with the VX-6 it is just right as a true hunting rifle. I can't say as remember the 300 Mark V. I'm sure it punched me some. I do remember the 378 though.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 Wthby Mag Fibermark. After I took a belt sander to the stock to save my cheek from losing too much skin, it’s now one of my favorites. It’s one of the last remaining belted magnums in my inventory. I owned a 300 Win Mag for a time and it’s a fine round but l never did anything with it that I could not have done with my 30-06. I’ve also shot my buddy’s 300 Ultra Mag a good bit doing load development for him. I’ve never used it on an animal but man, what a beast! Honestly, it just might be too much of a good thing.
But, as far as magnums go, the 300 Wthby is IMHO as good as it gets, 375 H&H aside. It has poleaxed everything I have shot with it, shoots flat and most anyone can handle the recoil. What’s not to like?

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stable of calibers for my Blaser, but the 300 Weatherby barrel goes every time. I bought the caliber on a whim, but it very quickly became my favorite. A 180 grain TTSX is both accurate and effective. There's really no game that I hunt in NA or Africa that it isn't suited for.

It's making the trip to NZ this year.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I view my .300 Weatherby as a confidence gun.

I have confidence that if I do my job. it will do what I ask it to do.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell yes, I have an old classic stainless M-70 that fires 200 gr Partitions to 3100 fps with a big charge of Retumbo, it's accurate and seems to have a seething vendetta on anything you point it at, it's a hard killer for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, maybe that explains my not having a 300 WBY, I only get 100 FPS less velocity with my 2 H&Hs with the 200 gr. Noslers..

Anyway I like the 300 WBY just fine, it sure does kill well.

I suspect what really counts is the 200 gr. Nosler, it works great in all the big 300s and its awesome in the 30-06 at 2650 to 2700 FPS depending on barrel length and whatever.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I settled on 3100 fps partly because of the bulk of Retumbo, but accuracy and next to nil temp insensitivity were the cappers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine.

I built it in 1999 for my last Zim trip.

Heavy hitter if I do my part. Very impressive killer.

Only complaint is the cost of brass/cartridges.

Thankfully Remington makes brass and people sell once fired brass.

Probably too big for most of the stuff I shoot but it's my go too gun for everything. Being a takedown also makes it handier/more transportable/niftier.

Probably doesn't kill anything deader than my old .30/06............but I wanted a .300 Wby after seeing a mate's kill things.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I owned one, Rem 700 stainless synthetic. Way too much recoil and muzzle blast for me. Perhaps if I would have added some weight to the stock it might have tamed it a bit. In my opinion, the 338s have more to offer with less blast.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of the 300 Weatherby fan club.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had one for about 30 years. Got it from a friend's father. Early 60's German made with a hensoldt 1.5-6 in claw mounts. Came with 5 boxes of ammo, and two boxes of cases. Very nice rifle. One of my favorites. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but a friend's son bought an Accumark in 300 Weatherby and I shot it last summer at our local range. Scary accurate with 200 grain Accubonds.

I went through several 300 Win Mags and ended up settling on the 338 Win Mag for all my hunting. The caliber has served me very well and recently thought I'd try the 30-06. Took a caribou with it last month. It's another very useful caliber but my first love is still the 338 Win Mag. It shoots a wider, heavier bullet than the 300 Weatherby and does so in a standard length action. Still, I can see the attraction of the 300 Weatherby.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep Im a 300 WBY fan....I find it an amazing caliber with a heck of a track record on all th worlds animals.

But my choice for anything bigger than deer has been the .338 Win since the day it hit the shelves and I bought the first one to show up in El Paso, Texas..For deer and smaller, Im an 06 fan, and consider the 06 capable for even the bigger stuff like Brown Bear or Cape Buffalo, that said, I know the .338 is much better for bear and the 9.3x62 is my minimum for buffalo, and I prefer a 40 caliber for daggaboys. Lots of other choices that are just fine..These are just what I use and what I have in my hands at the time..Like an instance when I had to shoot thru a 3 inch hole in really thick stuff at about 100 yards, I swapped my iron sighted 404 for my scoped .338 and stuck a solid thru that hole and thru the buffs lungs. Tracked him about 75 yards where he stood straddle legged bleedin like a stuck pig, he heard or smelled us and took off across grass, I swapped back for my 404 and my shot rolled him 2.5 full flips the last one he stood on his head and slowly fell like big oak tree, awesome..Low and behold the PHs brother got it all on film from start to finish. I cherish that film..

As I age and recoil has taken its toll on my neck and shoulders, a roping incident trashed my right hand, etc. get'en old ain't for sissys but my calibers are getting smaller it seems! and Im winning less money roping every year!! got a muzzle brake on my .338 and building a 7x57..so far so good on that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 300 Wby with 200 grain or even 180s is as effective as my 338 was with 225s or 210s. Plus it is more shootable for me. 25 grains doesn't make me a lot of difference.

And if I needed it then, I had the 378. With the right bullet I think it would quite well take any thing capable of being hunted from mosquitoes to jumbos.

But it all depends on what you like.

I am going back to build or buy another 378.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long without Jorge chiming in. Hope he isn't sick or something?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Yep Im a 300 WBY fan....I find it an amazing caliber with a heck of a track record on all th worlds animals.

But my choice for anything bigger than deer has been the .338 Win since the day it hit the shelves and I bought the first one to show up in El Paso, Texas..For deer and smaller, Im an 06 fan, and consider the 06 capable for even the bigger stuff like Brown Bear or Cape Buffalo, that said, I know the .338 is much better for bear and the 9.3x62 is my minimum for buffalo, and I prefer a 40 caliber for daggaboys. Lots of other choices that are just fine..These are just what I use and what I have in my hands at the time..Like an instance when I had to shoot thru a 3 inch hole in really thick stuff at about 100 yards, I swapped my iron sighted 404 for my scoped .338 and stuck a solid thru Big Grin that hole and thru the buffs lungs. Tracked him about 75 yards where he stood straddle legged bleedin like a stuck pig, he heard or smelled us and took off across grass, I swapped back for my 404 and my shot rolled him 2.5 full flips the last one he stood on his head and slowly fell like big oak tree, awesome..Low and behold the PHs brother got it all on film from start to finish. I cherish that film..

As I age and recoil has taken its toll on my neck and shoulders, a roping incident trashed my right hand, etc. get'en old ain't for sissys but my calibers are getting smaller it seems! and Im winning less money roping every year!! got a muzzle brake on my .338 and building a 7x57..so far so good on that.

Good god Ray stop drinking so early Big Grin Without a doubt the 300 wby is an effective cartridge but I doubt I am the man that could realize it's long range advantages. I haven't owned or shot a 300 WBY and for my purposes I would prefer my 340 WBY over it. Although a bit slower the 300 WIN MAG is still an absolute hammer at reasonable ranges and is in a category of a world class cartridge as far as availability. I'd rather have a 24" 300 WM when sticking to 30 cals and at that I would rather have a 30-06 over my 300 WM. As I get older I don't have as many prejudices towards cartridges, they all generally work it's just a matter of what you interests you and what you want to put up with.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My older brother shoots one and two of my close friends shoot them. My brother has mainly used his Sako TRG for target shooting while my two friends have pretty much exclusively used it for their North American big game rifles. My buddy uses the 180gr Swift Scirocco. The other uses factory loaded ammo.
I've seen the Mule Deer and Elk that they have both shot and both have said they love their rifles.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a Weatherby FN Deluxe 300 Wby that was his standard elk rifle. It weighed about 8# so when fired the shooter had to keep a grip on it, but it was very effective. I prefer a 338 Win, but anything I've shot with it would have been just as dead had I been using the 300.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long without Jorge chiming in. Hope he isn't sick or something?

Unfortunately I think he had some family issues to attend to. I don't know him but I saw it elsewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Jorge is OK, saw him at DSC.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His father recently passed away.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a .300 Weatherby, but I bought it for the rifle, not for the caliber. It shoots just fine. However, I don't care for the silly radiused shoulder, which can't possibly be cut as precisely as a conventional tangent shoulder. And I also find the freebore of the standard Weatherby chamber to be counterproductive in terms of powder efficiency and accuracy.

A 180 to 200 grain .30 caliber hunting bullet fired between 2800 and 3100 fps does the same thing regardless of the case from which it is propelled. If you have an accurate rifle, it doesn't make much difference whose proprietary name is appended to the caliber.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of the 300 Weatherby cartridge for years. I was always pleased on how well it shot and how it performed on game. Over the years I ended up with two loads that were my favorites in my Custom Mauser. These both used midrange charges of H4831 (but from the old Speer books which were hotter back then). One was with the 200 gr. Speer spitzer and the other was the 165 Nosler partition. I tried others however these two just seemed to fill the bill for me be it Sheep or Deer at one end and Grizzlies, Moose and Elk at the other. I recognize there is no magic to case shape and design but having said that there's something close to it with the 250 savage, 7X57, 270 Winchester, 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H. Best of shooting...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 335 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
His father recently passed away.

Sorry to hear that and his loss.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*