Tools

300 WBY, anyone a fan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I own a .300 Weatherby, but I bought it for the rifle, not for the caliber. It shoots just fine. However, I don't care for the silly radiused shoulder, which can't possibly be cut as precisely as a conventional tangent shoulder. And I also find the freebore of the standard Weatherby chamber to be counterproductive in terms of powder efficiency and accuracy.

A 180 to 200 grain .30 caliber hunting bullet fired between 2800 and 3100 fps does the same thing regardless of the case from which it is propelled. If you have an accurate rifle, it doesn't make much difference whose proprietary name is appended to the caliber.

If you're only getting 3100fps with 180 grain bullets you need to load it up to its potential.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 300 Win Mag extensively and seen a 300 RUM used extensively. I can only think that the 300 Wby is superb. I would use 200gr bullets if it shot them. That said... I love my 340 Wby.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been using a 300Wby since 2002, it's earned it's stripes and is my #1 cartridge these days. Nothing in NA I'd be hesitant to hunt with it, even brown bear. Much easier to load for than my old 300Win mag, the long neck keeps the 200gr bullets out of the boiler room. Well designed stock helps with the recoil, which I don't find to be unpleasant.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the only bad thing you can say about the .300 Weatherby is that it isn't a .340 Weatherby. Wink

Posts: 449 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have a Rifles, Inc 300 WBY (bought second hand, so didn't get to choose the caliber). Wish it was a Win. Mag. for no other reason than ammo would be more available (and slightly cheaper - I don't reload).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I often hear folks talk about the lack of availability of Weatherby ammo on internet forums but at least in my experience I've seen it pretty much everywhere, even in some pretty remote areas. Oh sure maybe not in every general store in the far north but availabity has never been a problem for me. A year ago or so I was watching a tv show with Craig Boddington on a hunt in Pakistan. He had lost his ammo on his flight in and had to buy some for his .300 Weatherby. Sure enough they found a box in some store nearby. So while it's not as common as other brands it far from rare.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry,
I agree with all you said except about my drinking early! 8:30 AM ain't early by God!! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote