THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    270 win vs 7x57.. which do you prefer
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 win vs 7x57.. which do you prefer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I really have a 7x57 Mauser itch I need to scratch, but the rifle (modern made) I want can also be had in .270 Winchester. Online #'s show the 270 Winchester is more powerful?

I have a pile (1000's) of .284 bullets in the 160-175gr that are begging for a 7x57

Taking ammo availability / Reloading component availability out of the equation...which do you prefer and why

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
7x57 hands down.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
If you buy a modern rifle, there is no reason not to load a 7x57 to modern pressures, say low 60k PSI which you will then be equaling a 270 win.

Load your 7x57 with 140s or 150s in the 2850-2900 fps range and you have a cartridge that is everything a 270 win is with an option for even heavier bullets.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I disagree. I think the 7mm shines with 160 to 175g bullets. The 270 Win handloaded can do 3000 fps with a 150g Partition within the pressure guidelines. It will outperform the 7mm Mauser on bullets 150g and lighter.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I have both and enjoy both equally. Any performance differences are purely theoretical.
If New production 270 Winchester rifles were given the 1:8 or 1:9 twist rate they should have, it would be a vast improvement when shooting the heavier, higher BC bullets.

Monogamy is for marriage, not rifles.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both - get the 270. my 270 is my k95 that i shoot a lot my 7x57 is a ruger number 1.

I would ideally ditch both these relics and get a 6.5 cm instead Big Grin but 270 ammo is more available these days than 6.5.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't explain why, but animals I've shot with the 7X57 drop faster than any other caliber. I use heavy for caliber bullets in everything (.223 to .470). That said, there is nothing wrong with the .270 using 150 gr. bullets. Apologies to Jack O'Conner, but I don't like the 130 grain.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the X57.

inside 250yds. there ain't too many things that compare to it's efficiency.
run a 140gr cup and core bullet to 2800 or so fps. and it just does the job you expect it to do.

however after shooting a 25-06 and a 30-06 over the years, I can see the appeal of the 270.
I won't ever buy one, but I can see how it'd be popular as a deer rifle.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go 7x57 for the efficiency and the tradition.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want flatter trajectory, the 270 is the way to go. If you want to shoot heavier bullets it's the 7x57. Each does the job if you do.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Which ever itches worse is the one to get. Big Grin

For me it would be the 7x57. I've never really understood what the .270 is for when there's so many good 7mm's around.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Win, 140 grains, 2950 FPS, near 1500 FPS to 400 yards.

Or 270 Win, 160 grains, 2800 FPS, at 2784.77 Foot pounds.

The 270 for all bullet weights and design will shoot slightly flatter and with higher SD than the same weight in the 7x57. The majority of US commercial ammo is going to be 139 (hornady)/140 loads.

If you were going to handload with the heaviest bullets for either there is nothing the 173/175 grain bullet in the 7x57 can do that the 160 Accubond or 180 grain Woodleigh .277 would not do better on math.

270 Win. for the win.

If you have a 270 Win already and want a 7x57 and may pick up another .270 Win down the road. That is a good resolution.

When folks say we need heavier bullets in the .270 win. I say how much heavier do you need than a 160 grain boatail or 180 grain flat base. The .277 140, 150, 160, 180 are heavier per caliber than the 140, 150, 160, 175 grain bullets in .284.

I have no use for the 130 grain bullet in the .277. The 140 grain .277 shoots flatter out of the 270 Win than the 140 grain 6.5 Creedmore. Honestly, if I need more than 140 grain (my favorite is the Accubond), I need a larger cartridge than any .473 case head .277-30 caliber based cartridges which all do the the same thing within 100 feet per second. Similarly, to the Nitro Express cartridges between 450 and 475 No2. All are marginally different, and the same.

I have used a 140 grain 284 caliber billet loaded to 2770 to blow the jugular out the other side of a buck’s neck. The case just happen to be the 7/08 case same ballistics as the 7mmx57.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both load to about the same velocities with the same bullet weight.

There isn't a critter around who can tell the difference.

That said I load for a model 95 mauser 139 gr just at 2400fps.

Kills just fine too.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and enjoy both, it might depend on what other rifles you have, but with supplies you already have on hand I'd go for the 7x57, it's a fun cartridge.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both. I married a redhead but like blondes too....

To me, the 7x57 is the redhead and the .270 is the sleek blonde...

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You are having breakfast.

In front of you two hard boiled eggs.

Which one tastes better? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both for years, the 270 is simply more gun powerwise any way you cut it, it holds more powder!! When handloaded will shoot heavier bullets such as the 180 and the old 170s but thrives on 130,150 and 160s..has a bit more recoil..

That said the 7x57 is my favorite bolt action caliber, light recoil, less velocity, and about the same bullet weight from a practical standpoint..In general its a lighter caliber and .277 and 284 are darn close to 7mm..

So the .270 wins by a nose..My choice based on field experience shooting NA game and African PG is the 7x57, some nostalgia and Ive had such good luck with it..but like Saeed said, which egg taste best about sums it up..I don't own a 270 today but I do have a 7x57 and the best of the litter, a 30-06.. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
7X57 or 7X57R with 154 to 175 grainers are good for 250 yards. Trajectory is not as flat as a .270 so for longer ranges my choice is the .270 win. with 130-140 grainers and lots of target time.
Kind of like comparing 2 eggs to 3 eggs. 3 eggs being the more energy, longer lasting choice.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
7X57 or 7X57R with 154 to 175 grainers are good for 250 yards. Trajectory is not as flat as a .270 so for longer ranges my choice is the .270 win. with 130-140 grainers and lots of target time.
Kind of like comparing 2 eggs to 3 eggs. 3 eggs being the more energy, longer lasting choice.

No offense intended, but I respectfully disagree. I try to keep shots on game shorter than 300 yards, but if I felt confident enough in my shooting ability, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot any size deer out to 400 with a 7x57. The 270 is better suited for 400 yards, for sure. I like 160 grain bullets loaded in the 7x57 as close to 2700 FPS as possible. Any of the 4350’s will get you there pretty accurately, and a few of the new high energy powders can get you a little more zap. Factory loaded 7x57 and SAAMI spec handloads are pretty wimpy, but even the wimpy loads are useful on dear size game beyond 250 yards.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ignore any "on line" numbers for the 7mm; they are low pressure loads due to all the 93 Spanish Mausers out there.
If it had not been for the hex, and ban on all things German due to WW1, the 270 would never have been invented; we would have the 7x57, and 7x64. No reason for a 270 diameter to even exist.
Load it to 60K psi, and you will have a better round.
270: Yuck!

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
When I built rifles for new hunters I usually suggested a 270. I even built one for my step-son. He doesn't reload. For my wife and myself it is 7x57. Her 7x57 does everything she has ever asked it to do up through a number of elk.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have both. Have taken deer with both. Not much difference.

WE are splitting hairs here. Especially if our shooting range is reasonably close.

My reloading mentor has told me several times that reloading the 270 is limited by the small variety of bullets available. recently i partnered with Google to check out the offerings from the bullet makers.

there are a LOT of available styles, weights, etc. No longer a problem. Check it out yourself.

My personal preference is the 270 since the rifle is a pre-64 Model 70 which fits me so well.

My last deer was taken with the 7 x 57.

Spend some of that stimulus money. Have both. :-)

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ignore any "on line" numbers for the 7mm; they are low pressure loads due to all the 93 Spanish Mausers out there.
If it had not been for the hex, and ban on all things German due to WW1, the 270 would never have been invented; we would have the 7x57, and 7x64. No reason for a 270 diameter to even exist.

Winchester was in the process of developing a 7mm-06/280rem/7x64 type of cartridge just before and just after WWI. Examples of it still exist in some collections. They decided to go with the 270 for the same reasons you mentioned. If they had just decided to use .284” bullets and call it the 280 or 284Wcf, all would be well with the world. Americans and American companies had to do it their way. I think “yuck” about the 270 as well, but I know it’s irrational. It’s a great round, I know, but it almost triggers a gag reflex, where a 280, 7x64, or 7x57 causes intense euphoria. It’s nuts. I’m sure some of the 270 loving crowd feels the opposite. I guess I’m just un-American.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
7x57. Why? It maxes out the cool guy factor and was used by legendary hunters and soldiers all over the world. Probably killed more game and men than the coronavirus.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Winchester was in the process of developing a 7mm-06/280rem/7x64 type of cartridge just before and just after WWI. Examples of it still exist in some collections. They decided to go with the 270 for the same reasons you mentioned. If they had just decided to use .284” bullets and call it the 280 or 284Wcf, all would be well with the world. Americans and American companies had to do it their way. I think “yuck” about the 270 as well, but I know it’s irrational. It’s a great round, I know, but it almost triggers a gag reflex, where a 280, 7x64, or 7x57 causes intense euphoria. It’s nuts. I’m sure some of the 270 loving crowd feels the opposite. I guess I’m just un-American.

The 280 triggers a gag reflex with me. The 270 mathematically does everything better than the 280 standard version ever could. Why? The 140-160 grain bullets have better weight to caliber and BCs than 140-160 caliber .284 bullets given equal construction.

There was no use to the 280 Remington except Remington playing catch up.

I honestly have no issue with the 280 Remington. It sends 140-160 grain bullets at 2950-2800 (2850) FPS. Like so many others.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look at the pressure level that was given the 280 and you will see it was not loaded up to potential. Due to the 760 and 742 I think.
It could have been a much better round than any 270 ever was. In the minds of loyal owners, is about it.
Don't get me wrong; I actually own at least 6 270s; I bust them down for the actions and get a free pry bar in the deal. All a 270 barrel is good for. Come on over and I'll show you.

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have both and love both. 270 for lighter bullets and game at longer distances and 7x57 for heavier animals.
A question without hijacking the thread:
What are the practicalities of velocity and accuracy of shooting the heavier bullets (160gr +) with a 270? Twist issues, etc.

Posts: 778 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I have both and love both. 270 for lighter bullets and game at longer distances and 7x57 for heavier animals.
A question without hijacking the thread:
What are the practicalities of velocity and accuracy of shooting the heavier bullets (160gr +) with a 270? Twist issues, etc.

I think 160’s work fine in 270 at reasonable hunting ranges. The new 6.8 Western uses a faster twist and heavier bullets. If this new round takes off (I seriously doubt it will), we may end up seeing some factory 270’s made with faster twists, as a biproduct. That scenario happened with the 6mm and 260 rem, but who knows? I think the magnum LR market is pretty saturated.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI: Sportsman warehouses in COLORADO have pretty bare ammo and reloading component shelves, but I’ve been seeing some Fed 7x57 and REM 7x64.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there was a piticular rifle I liked and it was 7x57 I would get it. If I was starting from scratch with a modern rifle I would get 280 rem

Posts: 1041 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 1909 Argie capable of increased pressures in 7x57??

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler shows its 160 grain Accubond a longish bullet out of a 1:10 twist.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Point well taken Matt.

Trajectory is the issue for me since my 7X57 likes heavier bullets (currently 166 grains). Looking at these charts, the lighter bullets in a 7x57 are not a far cry from .270 drops. Heavier ones (166 here) have too much drop for my confidence level. However, I plan on trying the 7X57 out to 400 yards to see if I can hit an 8 inch fry pan consistently.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kick both their asses and use a 280AI, otherwise, shoot a 270.

(I know, you asked for recommendations on a place for a chicken dinner and I gave you beef)

For you guys who have a self-impose max range of 300 yards, use whatever you want since at that paltry range it won't really matter. Someone need to hone his craft a bit more.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck why not have a squad of similar rifles? I have a 7-08, a 7x57, 3 270's and a 280 AI, Have to say I generally hunt with the first two because the 7-08 is very light and the 7x57 is rugged and perfect for bad weather. I don't see any real reason to compare them. I use the 270's for any open country hunting and the 280 AI for steel and paper punching way out there. A 150 grain bullet at 2700 fps will get a lot of hunting done with good bullets.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Posts: 60 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 April 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike D hit the nail on the head with Rule No 1:

The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.

Get a 28 Nolser; kicks the crap out of either the 7x57 or the 270. Big Grin

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread is getting ho hum...again,again, again, jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some cannon fodder for the "yuckers" and "gaggers" I've used a 270 for well over forty years..From pigs to elk..even a few prairie dogs! My second barrel and third scope. The 270 will do something that I've not seen other calibers do quite as well.

The PIO for 130, 140 and 150 grainers can be covered with a quarter @ 100 yds. Got witnesses!, but it is a pretty well documented fact.

Lose your ammo...in the middle of Wyoming? No problemn..270 is available EVERYWHERE!

Having said that, I have no issue with most of the 7's, ..... this thread is proof positive why Speerchucker threw in the towel

Posts: 3426 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
this thread is proof positive why Speerchucker threw in the towel

I miss Speerchucker...but this threads purpose was just to stir up thoughts and conversation

My next medium bore thread will be ".44 Rimfire vs 6.5 Creedmoor" jumping

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The 270 Winchester and 7x57 are two of the most popular rifles we build.

On the subject of long range shooting, I think it all depends on the hunter, and how well he knows his rifle.

All these rifles have enough energy to kill game animals at distances too far for people to use them for.

I use a 375/404 for my hunting, it is sighted to be dead on at about 180 yards.

I have shot animals with it around 500 yards, and these include small animals like impala.

People are not very good at judging distance.

To do it reasonable close one has to have plenty of experience in the field.

We go to the desert quite often with friends, and I always laugh at them guessing distance to trees, animals etc.

City dwellers can actually be several magnitude wrong in their guesses.

You should see the looks on their faces when the right distance is known.

I do that by flying a drone to it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote