THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Liking this one for .45-Colt all-around duty

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liking this one for .45-Colt all-around duty
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I am fond of Accurate molds and this one looks like it might just do yeoman's duty for all I would ask of the .45 Colt out of a Bisley Blackhawk. Any thoughts?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/b...bullet=45-300G-D.png

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The Accurate catalog listing notes that this mold was inspired by the out-of-production Lyman 454629 that was designed by Dick Casull for his .454. John Taffin reports fine accuracy out to 700 yards with it in a Ruger .45 Colt.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Should do fine Bill. I have a 454629 on the way to me and I’ll be able to cast some for my .45s. The 452424 has done well for me also.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
The Accurate catalog listing notes that this mold was inspired by the out-of-production Lyman 454629 that was designed by Dick Casull for his .454. John Taffin reports fine accuracy out to 700 yards with it in a Ruger .45 Colt.

am i missing/misreading something here? 700 yds out of a ruger revolver in .45 colt?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:

am i missing/misreading something here? 700 yds out of a ruger revolver in .45 colt?

No, you read that correctly.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so does the slug drop into someones lap at 100 yds yds then he runs 600 yds and collapses? and no, i'm not volunteering to be the "lap" at 100 yds!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent design for hunting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, it's an old Elmer Keith skill -- learning to walk the slugs in like artillery. Once you have the holdover and are maybe shooting from the back-rest sitting position -- and your slug is stable and accurate -- it's like mortar fire. I have only shot to about 400 with a .44 Magnum, but if I can do it, anyone can, believe me!

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah...ok. like kentucky windage in a way. gotta be able to see where they are hitting though.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Helps to be walking them in over sand or desert -- or water if safe. Friend Jim Taylor was talking about ventilating a 5-gallon bucket at 300 yards with a sixgun recently with the Lyman version of this bullet.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am fond of Accurate molds and this one looks like it might just do yeoman's duty for all I would ask of the .45 Colt out of a Bisley Blackhawk. Any thoughts?

For all round use I would not choose a GC bullet. Where I live those are for special occassions.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
African, I had similar advice from a friend who is a very experienced caster -- no gas check needed at .45 Colt velocities of 1200 or so.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be a great bullet for your all around work in the Colt.

As for the gas check, those little copper diapers add a marginal cost, but for the average shooter who is not as experienced with casting and shooting cast, they minimize a lot of little variables from gun to gun.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kaytod, I have used gas checks but always found them kind of fiddly to mess with, but then I have never tried annealing them first.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

That's one of the bullets I have boxed
up to send you. That you said not to send.

IF you want to try 'em, say so, and I'll
get 'em on the way. still sitting on the
table yet.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George, sent an email. Had back surgery Monday ...

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Bill that looks like a good Veral Smith based WLN. For my use in the Contender the Hunter's Supply 250 gr pentagon HP sounds good. I have a couple of boxes for my 45 Super tests as the HPs have a round nose effect. I will not push these to +P. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly the 300gr Lee mold works about as good as any out there. My mold drops them at 315gr with the alloy I use. The nice thing about the gas check is you can use pure lead and not worry as much about leading the bore as long as they have a good lube and properly fit the chambers and bore.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly the 300gr Lee mold works about as good as any out there. My mold drops them at 315gr with the alloy I use

Mine to come in at 315grs.

I shot them not sized with out gas check and sized with gas check.

I dropped 50fps but gain a lot of accuracy with the gas checked ones.

Groups went from 2.5 at 25 to under a 1.5. Those were shot off hand. I am sure they be a lot better if I shot the guns off a rest.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That a great bullet! I am sure you can get it plain based and that would be my preference. My all-round bullet for 45colt is a NOE 454-265. Where I live the the biggest thing we can normally hunt is deer and carry for social work.

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Check the point of those slugs I sent.
Same thing as this except I believe Lee's
mold has a very slight curved top. Can't
call that a "radii" as it's too slight.

My scales show they're 320gr. I use plain
old recycled range lead. I figure others
have tinkered with the hardness. I just
melt the rocks and jackets out of 'em and
then flux as it's melted in the pot. When
I melt raw scrap it's in a kettle too big
to flux very easy. Couple hundred pounds
or more.

One day Dad was running my Blackhawk .30 carbine down. "what good is that thing?" Took him, gun and handful of my reloads to the corner post and told him to watch that "deadman" barrel full of rocks. I shot and hit about halfway to it's 300yards, next shot hit just in front of it and made a big dent.
Shot 10 more and put all of them thru the near side of the drum. After that he never said a word about my "sorry assed pistols" or my shooting either one. Wish he'd lived long enough to go out with me shooting the .45 Colt.

I have massive wrists but, still can't handle the recoil. I've settled on: 20gr H110 with both 250gr SWCs and these 320 as above. Both from Lee 6 cavity molds. I want production when I cast. Usually don't quit til I top off a 2 gallon bucket of each size.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George, those heavy Lees you sent are dead flat across the meplat, unless I have the wrong glasses on.
I cast a lot with range scrap as well, using plenty of Brownell's Marvelux for flux. So far it has not let me down -- at least on paper targets!
Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have the same mold. I like it in my 45 Colts. I cannot say I've used it on game other than to finish of a cow moose that was down but not quite dead.

It shoots well in both my Redhawk and my Bisley and shot extremely well in a Rossi lever gun I had for a while.

Marty

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, just rereading this old post. You're right about the mortar philosophy about ranging in. I had a friend teach me that one + made a believer out of me + also as Bill Jordan once said: "If Elmer said he did that, then I believe him." After doing it myself (once) I do too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Marty, I have a Rossi 92 with 16-inch barrel I will try them in.
Randy, it really is fun to walk in those slugs on distant targets. Elmer might have told a stretcher or two in his time, but he wasn't kidding about this.

– John Green, author

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'd love it at 250gr and 1,000 fps!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marty, I have a Rossi 92 with 16-inch barrel I will try them in.
Randy, it really is fun to walk in those slugs on distant targets. Elmer might have told a stretcher or two in his time, but he wasn't kidding about this.

There's a picture of him, looking like he's doing an abdominal crunch, shooting a 2" 38 at metal turkeys, 300 or 400 yards away .... forgot which of his books it was in, but i had a full head of hair and none of it gray when i read it

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Gray hair? Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, the old 45 Colt is a great choice. In modern revolvers, the 45 Colt can go from Cowboy Action plinking loads all the way up near the 44 Mag in power. Choose your poison for the job at hand!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bill, the old 45 Colt is a great choice. In modern revolvers, the 45 Colt can go from Cowboy Action plinking loads all the way up near the 44 Mag in power. Choose your poison for the job at hand!

Those upper end loads will make a .44 Mag hunt a place to hide.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
ah...ok. like kentucky windage in a way. gotta be able to see where they are hitting though.

Just like shooting a 6.5 Creedmore at a mile rotflmo.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the loading room, I keep 2 different bullet designs in the boxes of 45 L.C. Just so EVERYONE knows. For the Ruger's + S+W I use the 255G. WC heavy meplate w/ an increased charge, + a 255G. R.N. for the Colt varieties. The easiest way to spot the different charges. Still, one must pay attention.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MSH:

Had thoughts my .30 Carb Blackhawk
was big enough gun for my needs.

An old retired sheriff told me one
day: "IF you can't do it with a
.45 Colt in a Ruger you'd better get
a rifle."

Wasn't long til I bought a 7 1/2"
Blackhawk ,45 Colt. Impressive!

I can shoot for hours with the 20gr H110
and those 250's or 320's. It twists too
much for my wrist when loaded with 25gr.

Just trying to remember and gave up. Got
the book out: 320gr 20gr H110=1136fps
same charge with 250s=1239fps.

I never checked the 25gr charges. Too
heavy for me so I didn't shoot many.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
MSH:

An old retired sheriff told me one
day: "IF you can't do it with a
.45 Colt in a Ruger you'd better get
a rifle."
George

and then some! What a great quote!!
I have often felt, and stated, that if I had to walk the earth with a single gun, it would be hard for me to decide between a highly accurate 22 or 45 colt with moderate loads - either will do the job, in a stainless wheel gun, of course, 4" and target sights

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I read a dose of Linebaugh whenever I need .45 Colt therapy.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a good looking bullet.
What gas check is anyone here using with this bullet?

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I don't have that mold currently, but I have been very happy with Gator gas checks on several other cast designs from .35 Remington in a rifle to various handgun boolit designs.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 3 different bullets out of my 45's. The old Keith 452424, a Miha 275 gr slug & a 325 gr LBT LFN from an Applegate mould. All of them do well at long range once you get them dialed in.
We shoot from a dirt road that is above a mile wide meadow where it's easy to see the hits... or misses.
On occasion we have spotted a Badger digging ground squirrels out around 300-500 yds. No, we've never hit one yet but we've came very close a number of times. We set up steel targets out to 600-700 yds & hit them quite often, again once we get our six guns dialed in on the steel swingers.
Something that works really well if you have enough room to shoot is to use half a sheet of sheet rock, it shows up well & lasts a long time. You can tape over the holes & use it many times. A couple of steel fence posts holds it up.

Dick