THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    I made a device for free-floating your Magnetospeed.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I made a device for free-floating your Magnetospeed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
For years while using the Magnetospeed the mounting system was the weak link.

I'd personally wished for a better way to set up the Magneto, and recently had quite a few customers request the same thing...so this is what we've came up with.

Magnetospeed Rail Mount

A rail mount for your chronograph, with a large range of adjustment in all directions. It has about a foot of length adjustment, and we're working on solutions for long barrels with cans, etc. Right now this works solely with V3 Magnetospeeds, although we just got a Sporter model for testing.

If you've wanted to use your Magnetospeed without the possible point-of-impact shift that comes with strapping it to your barrel, this might be perfect for you.

We are doing discounted preorders through 9/30 if you so happen to find this adapter appealing:

http://mkmachining.com/product...icatinny-rail-mount/

Look forward to your input!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good! Let me know when you come up with one that doesn't take a picatinny rail. None of my Winchesters or Mausers have one. Maybe one with a sling stud mount.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Looks good! Let me know when you come up with one that doesn't take a picatinny rail. None of my Winchesters or Mausers have one. Maybe one with a sling stud mount.
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've been thinking of a mount for bolt guns using the swivel a la Harris BP but like most projects it went nowhere.

Posts: 6370 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The modularity of this design should let us come up with a sling stud, mlok, and keymod mount with relative ease!

When ready, I'm envisioning the website offering a dropdown menu for your choice of attachment.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been thinking of a mount for bolt guns using the swivel a la Harris BP

That is exactly what I was thinking of. That way it would also be easily mobile from rifle to rifle at the range. (I realize some adjustment would be necessary for that)

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should apply for a patent on that Tyler with as many claims as you can. YOu have one year from the date of disclosure.

I have a Magneto Speed but since I got a LabRadar I no longer use it. LabRadar is so easy I take it out the desert and chrono every shot - you could do the same thing with your setup.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
You should apply for a patent on that Tyler with as many claims as you can. YOu have one year from the date of disclosure.

I have a Magneto Speed but since I got a LabRadar I no longer use it. LabRadar is so easy I take it out the desert and chrono every shot - you could do the same thing with your setup.

How much $$$ will you take for the MagnetoSpeed?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tyler made some loading trays for us, and I must say they very well designed and manufactured.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66806 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Lab Radar and never look back. Still have a couple 35P's for some reason but all the others are gone including my magnetorspeed.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Tyler- from what I've read of your posts, you've got a boatload of ideas, energy, and the tools to make some great stuff. I really think you and the patent office need to get better acquainted.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can make one to be used on bolt action rifles and even handguns off a rest I would definitely be interested.

I prefer the Magnetospeed to the Lab Radar. I'm unable to get consistent velocities with my Lab Radar. Ended up pulling a bunch of bullets from rounds I thought were too hot after chronographing them on two different days with the Lab Radar. It's too position sensitive for me to rely upon. By position sensitive, I mean the distance from the unit to the muzzle coupled with the course aiming of the unit to the target. I believe these two variables introduce velocity errors. This after Lab Radar replaced the board in mine because the arm light would not work properly. The gentleman from Lab Radar later told me he was glad I sent him a video of it malfunctioning because he couldn't duplicate it. Lab Radar's customer service is excellent should you ever need it.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
If you can make one to be used on bolt action rifles and even handguns off a rest I would definitely be interested.

I prefer the Magnetospeed to the Lab Radar. I'm unable to get consistent velocities with my Lab Radar. Ended up pulling a bunch of bullets from rounds I thought were too hot after chronographing them on two different days with the Lab Radar. It's too position sensitive for me to rely upon. By position sensitive, I mean the distance from the unit to the muzzle coupled with the course aiming of the unit to the target. I believe these two variables introduce velocity errors. This after Lab Radar replaced the board in mine because the arm light would not work properly. The gentleman from Lab Radar later told me he was glad I sent him a video of it malfunctioning because he couldn't duplicate it. Lab Radar's customer service is excellent should you ever need it.

My Lab Radar works great, easily as consistent as my Oehler 35P. The idea of a mount to keep the Magnetospeed off the barrel might make it a viable option. I fire ALL load development rounds through a chrono as velocity for the given group is an important part of load development.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
While a provisional patent was probably the wisest idea, now that I've disclosed it, my understanding is it's "public knowledge" and can't be patented anymore.

Labradars are neat, and do certainly the same job as a Magnetospeed, but there is a crucial difference here.

Say I'm out at my private range where I have a bunch of steel hung up all over, I can attach the Magnetospeed with my mount, practice, and be gathering data the whole time by simply shooting at targets.

As far as other ways to mount your magnetospeed rather than a rail...well I'm working on it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
While a provisional patent was probably the wisest idea, now that I've disclosed it, my understanding is it's "public knowledge" and can't be patented anymore.

Labradars are neat, and do certainly the same job as a Magnetospeed, but there is a crucial difference here.

Say I'm out at my private range where I have a bunch of steel hung up all over, I can attach the Magnetospeed with my mount, practice, and be gathering data the whole time by simply shooting at targets.

As far as other ways to mount your magnetospeed rather than a rail...well I'm working on it!

I am not an attorney, but I have 8 patents. Pretty sure you have one year from the time you disclose it. PM me if you want my IP attorney's contact info. He is pretty good - I have only been denied one patent - I have two on software post-Alice, which was a case that made getting software patents much more difficult.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Patents don't mean much to the Chinese, which is where his competition will go to have their version made.

Not sure the market for this is so big that a patent wouldn't just eat all the profit.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post

Can you tell which surfaces are waterjet cut? I'm really happy how these turned out, this is one of each component from the first production run. Combination of milling and waterjetting on some pieces to bring cost down to an acceptable level.