New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was lubing some 375 brass today with some Hornaday wax lube and decided to try Pledge. I had an idea it would work as a case lube. I sprayed several cases and let them dry off on a heater. Pledge worked as good as anything I have tried and left no residue.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know!

I use IsoHEET (a gasline antifreeze) #3.00 and mix it with 1 oz. of liquid lanolin $6.00-8.00 per 4 oz. in a spray bottle. So for less than $20.00 I make 52 oz. of liquid case lube.

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't even bother with the HEET.
I mix lanolin and castor oil. [2-1]
to apply I put a pea sized chunk in a baggie with 50 large rifle cases and mush them all around.
100 223 size cases.

Posts: 4973 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Leary:
I was lubing some 375 brass today with some Hornaday wax lube and decided to try Pledge. I had an idea it would work as a case lube. I sprayed several cases and let them dry off on a heater. Pledge worked as good as anything I have tried and left no residue.
Boldly done! I'm glad that worked out for you.

Me? I'm a coward. I'd be concerned about sticking a case in my die and the hassle to get it out!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me? I'm a coward. I'd be concerned about sticking a case in my die and the hassle to get it out!

I didn't get one sign of a case sticking.

Back when I was shooting completion I used Lee case lube mixed with water in a spray bottle. Sprayed the cases in a small bucket and stirred them around to cover the cases. Then dry them on the heater. Pledge worked about the same as the Lee.

posted Hide Post
I really appreciate one's thinking "outside the box". I'll remember Pledge as an option for case sizing (Lemon Pledge? Big Grin ). Some will only use "dedicated" reloading components/tools when there are many products just as good and maybe even better than something labeled for "reloading". I personally have not found a commercial case lube I like as much as Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream, with lanolin. In the many years I've been using it I have not stuck a single case, have had no "lube dents" and it's easy to get off the brass...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Leary:
quote:

I didn't get one sign of a case sticking.

Back when I was shooting completion I used Lee case lube mixed with water in a spray bottle. Sprayed the cases in a small bucket and stirred them around to cover the cases. Then dry them on the heater. Pledge worked about the same as the Lee.
Oh, I'm genuinely impressed. As mikid said, it is out of the box thinking. If I'd thought of it, I wouldn't have been bold enough to try the idea out.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience if you get a case stuck it is caused by not enough lube near the lower part of the case. If you are getting dents in the shoulder area it is from too much lube in that area. A properly lubed case will go in smoothly, if not back out and add lube to the lower part of the case.

It was lemon pledge that I tried and no dented shoulders.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldMy 25 year old bardahl soaked rag still works great. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider anything other than Imperial sizing die wax..with it you can run a 458 thru a 222 die, maybe even a 22 Hornet! shocker hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I wouldn't consider anything other than Imperial sizing die wax..with it you can run a 458 thru a 222 die, maybe even a 22 Hornet! shocker hilbily

But in several steps. I use Imperial Die Wax.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

But in several steps. I use Imperial Die Wax.

The Hornady wax lube is just as good IMHO.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably until you get into those hard case sizing modifications where you have to stand on the arm to get it done, but that's seldom..Anyway that's when I found the difference in Imperial and the rest....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Anyway that's when I found the difference in Imperial and the rest....

yep .. in order of my preference, imperial sizing wax, kiwi neutral boot polish, and everything else

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with the two above. Imperial Die Wax is what I use when reforming cases.
Now normal sizing, I use on my ink pad whatever is left from that can of STP I put in the truck. Never had a case stuck from either one. Of course I do have to wash the STP off.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldOK-FYI and just for shits and giggles I tested the lubricity of KROIL sizing some once fired 22-250 cases. Absolutely worthless. cleaned off the KROIL, put on a light coat of white petroleum jelly. Worked just fine.
clap roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Imperial! So simple, so good!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote