Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 30-06 - where to start....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Not handloading as much for smaller calibers anymore with TSX factory ammo availability got Remington Hog Hammers 168gr TSX BT ammo supply for my 30-06's. Claimed 2790 fps MV from 24" barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001800697

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive gone to H414, RL-22 in my 06's, easier to drop in my powder measure and super accurate compared to stick powders...Picked up some accuracy immediately. Give it a try.

Curious as to why you didn't try the existing loads in your 06, at lest to see if they fit, also wonder why you "popped out the live primers", just curious seems you made a lot of work for yourself for a hunting rifle..You didn't test, you assumed! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive gone to H414, RL-22 in my 06's, easier to drop in my powder measure and super accurate compared to stick powders...Picked up some accuracy immediately. Give it a try.

Curious as to why you didn't try the existing loads in your 06, at lest to see if they fit, also wonder why you "popped out the live primers", just curious seems you made a lot of work for yourself for a hunting rifle..You didn't test, you assumed! shocker

Fair questions:

First, I did test and it didn't take 20-rounds to feel confident in the rifle is a shooter. But closing the bolt was hard, really hard. In fact I had to fire rounds to get the bolt open. All of the cases needed to be resized and I wasn't going to waste the time, powder and bullets fireforming the 250 cases. I broke down all of the loads, saving the components, and sent the brass to a friend who had a die to do full case resizing and he polished the brass then sent them back to me.

My last 06 liked 56.6 gr of 4350 but I didn't want to assume that was the case with this one so I built 3-different loads to try and the winner was...56.5 gr. And the resized cases fed like they were supposed to.

I have at least 5-lbs of H4350 and it's worked great so far so I'm not interested in making life any more complicated by adding more options.

Jay

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw thats a perfect explanation and I expected as much but you didn't clarify in the beginning..good job.

.My top loads with 4350 back in the day was 57 and 58, never a problem with any 30-06 I had..started getting sticky at 60 to 61 in each so backed off to 58 and that worked just fine, so I settled on 57 to be sure..Don't want sticky extraction or any problem in the field rather be safe an not have to walk back to camp ruining a days hunt..Today I use h414 and RL-22 as I don't have to weigh or deal with grain cutting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote