THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Penetration of 110 gr. X bullet in cal. .308..?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penetration of 110 gr. X bullet in cal. .308..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo Guys.

Given a 110 gr. Barnes X a muzzle velocity of,- say 2900 fps, what can we expect of penetration in the smaller game animals..?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Christian.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Small game being deer sized or coyote sized?

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small game being deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a monolithic it will be sufficient for broadside shots, the problem is it will be extremely destructive on animal parts and ruin a lot of good meat monolithic or not.

Penetration may or may not be enough for a Texas heart shot, and that's a negative in that on occasions things go south and you may need to take a Texas Heart shot to anchor a wounded animal..

You would be much wiser to go to at least a 125 to a 130 gr. bullet, they seem to work well, under most circumstances.

My choice in the .308 has been the 150, and 165 grs, Accubond..It simply works under all circumstances on deer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Atkinson for your reply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could expect complete penetration with broadside shots, and very deep penetration with frontal shots as well.

I disagree with Ray about ruined meat using Barnes. That has not been my experience, at all, but I do tend to stay off the shoulders.

I suspect you are looking for reduced recoil with a slower, lighter bullet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about the 110, 308, but an old man I know loads the 110 grain, 277, in his 270 Win pushed as fast as it can go.

He has killed few 200 pound bucks with it and a whole mess of foes. A bit light for my taste, but I cannot argue with results. He shoots hos deer 200 yards and in. Usually, a lot more in.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son uses the 130 TTSX in his 308. He has killed medium sized mule deer and full sized cow elk with excellent results. Not a lot of meat damage and the last two animals that I am aware of were DRT. The rest have gone very short distances. Book Velocity is just shy of 3000 fps. I don't have a chrono to measure it with. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used the Barnes XLC in 165 at 2800 in 308 on deer and that will shoot all the way through one from front to back.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it'll kill about as well as a good load 243 - i would not expect to recover bullets in most game with it. i would expect more blood shot meat than a 150 at 2600, though.

good hunting

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a number of deer shot with 110 gr. Barnes X with the .308, and 30-06 and if you must then pick your shot carefully and place the bullet behind the shoulder, not in the shoulders, even at that I being the skinner for the paying hunters have seen some real blood shot smaller deer and more on the bigger deer..High velocity can wound as well as it can kill is my observation, Extremeist in both directions will sooner or later have failures, thus my take on not using 110 or 220s on deer..I suggest 150s for deer and 165 or 180s for elk..Why not?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot two Texas Hill Country does with the 130 gr. Barnes TTSX from a .308. The first was about 85 yards through both lungs and dropped her in her tracks. The bullet damage through the lungs was about 2.5 inches in diameter. However, the exit hole was only about .5 inches. The next one angled back more and also hit the liver. Again, lots of tissue damage but a small exit hole. She ran about 40 yards in thick brush and was hard to find due to the lack of a blood trail. These bullets both did plenty of internal damage, but I prefer a little bigger exit so there is a blood trail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 110 Gr. Sierra reloads in .308 Win for Texas-sized whitetails from 1970 to 1985. killed a ton of them, deader than hell. Penetration was fine. I can only imagine what a modern 110 would do on them.

I used 125 gr. for New Mexico mule deer, and 150 gr. for African plains game. My New Mexico elk round was 168gr factory load. I never liked firing 180gr. I never felt I needed it.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I loaded up a bunch of 110 tsx bullets for my brother's 30-06, with the intent that they would be shot up at the range. Unbeknownst to me he actually used those loads to go deer hunting, I think for about 4 seasons. All were full pass throughs including a shoulder shot on a 230lb buck. All 7 deer that to took had massive amounts of bloodshot meat. Do your freezer a favor and use heavier bullets.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of deer with Copper monos and have loaded them for friends who've takes a like number of deer with them/ I have [articipated in the skinning and butchering of the vast majority of those deer. I have never seen a mono tear up meat like a cup and core bullet does at short range. I have only knowledge of one of them that stopped in a deer, and that was a corner to corner shot on a good sized buck.

The deer I have seen killed have been killed with .223s up to 50 ML with velocities up to 3580 FPS. Nothing approaching bullet failure in any way either. This is over more than 100 deer.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I will put it a different way, if you drive any bullets 3200 to 4000 FPS you get soup..If you keep velocity down to 2500 to perhaps 2800 fps your probably ok or border line on meat damage..

Ive shot many deer with 125 AND 130 GR. cup and core bullets, and they are fine at 2500 to 2600 in my 308 and 30-06..devastating at 3000 FPS..

Ive used only 120 gr. Barnes x in my 7x57 and it was pretty good, but small deer made lots of traks it seemed to me, exit holes were small indicating a lack of expansion..

I tried many different combinations of light fast bullets, some worked and some not so well, finally decided to just use 150s in the 308 and 06, get a good blood trail, less destruction, no blow up on shoulders or heavy bone..Just worked best for me and meat loss was less, meat loss on elk shoulders is something I dislike, on deer its so minimal that I guess it makes little difference...

Very limited experience with the 110 BX, but based on that I would tend to load them down a bit if it were me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I loaded some 110's in my 30-06 expecting less recoil. I could not tell any difference in the 150's I'd been shooting. Some 30-06's do seem to print 110's and 150's same spot ( Jack O'Connor mentioned this once) and mine did print them same spot. Despite this I saw no use for them and went back to 150's which I use in both 30-06 and .308, to include for moose--worked fine.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have never used the 110 grains 30 caliber bullets. But... I have shot a lot of deer with 130 grain X bullets and 110 grain X bullets in .277. The 130 grain TSX and TTSX bullets work great, penetrate better than 180 grain cup and core bullets and tend to be very accurate. The 110 grin .277s are equally effective. I have never recover any of either from a deer. 100% passthroughs. 100% one shot kills. 0 deer that ran 100 yards after the shot. I had one deer the I shot at almost 300 yards with a 110 grin TTSX out of a .270 at 3170 FPS, Through the onside shoulder blade and made a fist size hole, then four ribs edgewise near the spine, then it took a fist size chunk out of the spine. After that it took out two more ribs edgewise, quarter sized hole through the off side shoulder blade and exited Bambi. That's a lot of bone in a very nice straight line. It's also pretty damn good evidence that it would work well on about anything in North America.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get these rants about uncle JIm uses 100 gr bullets on deer and we all use them on deer and on and on about the deer they have killed, and Im sure all have shot deer and elk with 110,130,125 with success!! Ive done the same with my 25-35 and 222, 22 swift, and on ocassions failed, but recovered all but one as I recal, and if you persist you will lose one, but the strange thing about wounding is a big secret nobody fails on the internet..Ive been in the hunting business too long and Im not drinking the kool aide...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120