New
Find
Notify
Tools

A semi-home-made push-through sizer???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
sundog...that would work. The same setup that RCBC uses for its rams.

I'm just trying to engineer something that these guys can make with hand tools.

Of course, in a rig like that I'd cut the groove with a hacksay blade and drill the holes so it would be doeable in an electric drill or drill press./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagle...I played yesterday with one of Marks home made gizmos to hold a sizing die in a reloading press for nose first sizing. Mark uses a couple of set screws to hold the size die in the holder. I was having a little trouble getting the push rod to align with the center of the die. I figured out several way to do it, but the easiest was to install the push rod in the shell holder, place the sizing die over the push rod. I then smeared a heavy coat of my home brew bullet lube on the outside of the sizing die and used the press handle to push the die into the holder mounted on the top of the press.

It worked to perfection and the push rod and the size die were in perfect alignment. I sized 50 hard (No. 2) from 317 to 311 and then went back on a second pass and installed the gas checks. That was 100 passes through the set up and nothing moved. When I was through the size die pushed out of the holder from the top with ease.

The whole point of this post being, is that I don't need no stinkin screws or springs to hold the die in place.

An interesting thing..When I used my Lyman 311 size die in the 450 sizer, I get bullets that run .3115. When I push them nose first using Marks gizmo they come out spot on .311. Same die..go figure.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got side tracked on the home-made holders for sizing dies. Got an RCBS sizer for $20 at the gun show today. Since it's my 2nd, I'll remove the gizmo to eject the round and see how it works as a push-through. It appears as it has only about an inch stroke, which may be a limiting factor.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce B,
Was dinkin' around, and LOOK what I run acrost!
Bullet sizer web page
Ain't nuthin new, anymore...(Sigh)>>>>>>>>>>Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Complicated piece of equipment. Each sizer ring has to be made instead of using existing RCBS or Lyman sizing dies.

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote