New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Balls...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started casting back in the mid-sixties. A 25 Krag with a little cast iron Lyman pot on a Coleman stove, and an Ideal bullet mold. 87gr RFN's.

Seven years ago I got my NEI .551" RFN for my 550 Gibbs. 850grains.

But, I moved up the scale this afternoon. Waaaaaaaay up! Colin Stolzer built me the 10-bore Paradox Rifle, and I picked it up in late May.

I finally got around to casting a few round balls for it. From my alloy, they mike .780".
Big.

Colin also made me a set of reloading dies, similar to the ones once provided with quality British DR and Single Shot Rifles.

Big...

Next week we stuff 160gr of 2F and a couple 1/4" wads under one of these babies.

Video to follow, if I can con NPD345 into filming me.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as I can use a telephoto lens.

I don't want to be to close when that thing goes off!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I for one am looking forward to this. How cool!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, I moved up the scale this afternoon. Waaaaaaaay up! Colin Stolzer built me the 10-bore Paradox Rifle, and I picked it up in late May.

Is this rifle a single barrel or a double?
What are you using for cases?

jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Rifle, like a H&H Paradox Rifle. I bought a 10 bore blank, and Colin parted a couple pieces off. Cut the SxS 10 gauge 3 1/2" magnum barrels off about 22" long. Threaded the barrels a couple inches at the muzzles, and cut and threaded the pieces. A sort of choke tube system, but epoxied in place once he got a good load. 4"H x 2"W groups at 25yds.

160gr of 1F and these huge round balls. One pound of alloy makes ten of these bowling balls. If my math is correct, that is 1.6 ounces each.

All that is left is locating some 3/8th or 1/2 inch felt for wads...

Cases, Rocky Mtn Cartridge makes them. $10 each.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, is it chambered for the regular 10 bore brass hull? If so, doesn't Mag-Tech sell them for quite a bit less?

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure, spent an hour last night trying to find thick enough felt at a couple fabric stores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you find wool felt. I suspect the acrylic stuff might melt and make a mess in your bore. I never could find wool felt locally and had to order.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut a stack of them from an old cowboy hat. They're usually either felted wool or felted beaver and either should be fine. I suppose in a pinch a stack could be cut from surplus army blankets. If they're to be trusted to be a natural fiber maybe some of those liners from an old pair of pacs, they're fairly thick.

'Course you could always order them too....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got Lucky!

A member here suggested Jute as a wad. Went to an auto upholstery shop in Boise and found reasonably priced Jute fabric a yard wide and .250" thick. $11.50 a yard, so I bought two.

The wad cutter Colin made has a cutter head that is detachable from the handle, and a 3" shank to set in the drill press. I cut some into 1" strips and cut a couple dozen wads.

Found the double boiler, and it is in the dishwasher. Tomorrow, we soak some wads in beeswax and test drive.

Hornady tech support suggested 135gr of 777 as a starting load. I love the BP stink and smoke, but I am going to start with 777 and skip the messy cleanup at first.

Rich

PS: I don't suppose anyone here has an extra 10-bore culling belt they'd like to sell...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS: I don't suppose anyone here has an extra 10-bore culling belt they'd like to sell...?

Rich, any more that 6 rounds and they'll pull your pants down :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cannot wait for the Youtube, Rich. Colin builds a wonderful gun.
I have yet to shoot my 11-bore flint Marshfield fowler.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I was going to order the Trader Keith model with suspenders...

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Rich:
Good to see you are getting into the big stuff. You are only a hop, skip, and jump away so join us for a shoot sometime and shoot some 8s and 4s. We had three 4s at the last shoot. In my 4, I use 440 grains of FFg GOEX and a 1400-grain ball. Recoil is pretty stiff. The same charge with a 1900-grain recoil is terrible. Or, 120 grains of Blue Dot.
Come up anytime.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Here's a 4-Bore Rich. Looking forward to your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL0B92iUkv0

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nearly a year ago Rich said he was going to shoot this thing and post a video of it. I don't see it on here, is it somewhere else?

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to get a cameraman and do that. Hopefully, this week...

I get caught up in projects, and the time slips away from me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich:
I've been told that's a P poor excuse!
I've got projects stacked up so high I can't even remember half of 'em.
Good luck, thanks for the reply,
George

By the way: My former shoulder doc moved to your fine lil town a couple yrs ago. IF you or anyone you know needs such work go see Michael Daines, tell him I sent ya. He's a big bore shooter too, or said he was when I asked how long after a replacement could I shoot the colt and big rifle. Said he shoots a .454.
G

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just looking here on the floor, not out in the gunroom, or at gunsmiths being worked on.

GEWEHR complete engraved and CCH DST action, someday early next year it will be my 6,5x68S.

Early Postwar Yugo/Zastava, fate unknown.

Commercial FN R-series with DST's and a tapered octagon barrel in 257. Wood is about 90% done, awaits my stockmaker's attention.

Brazilian 1908, barreled in 9,3x62. Mannlicher stock is here, just cannot decide to cut the 45" barrel to about 20" and go mannlicher.

I will get some more rounds loaded this week and get a friend to photo me shooting it.