New
Find
Notify
Tools

FMJ Ammo for Hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Given the current lack of hunting ammo for most calibers I have considered using FMJ ammo in my AR---hogs only Since the vast majority of my shots are head shots at still hogs, with a few runners when I encounter a sounder out in the open pasture Not worried about the head shots, just the runners where I can't be sure of a hit in the head.

Any thoughts?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For the head shots, no problem -- if they are accurate enough. But even on something considered vermin, I would not use a full metal jacketed bullet on a body shot. As an aside, I just don't like them in general because they penetrate more and tend to have more steam remaining if they ricochet and are just not the best choice in areas where livestock may roam. We've had some here in .223, 6.5x55 and .308, but I don't allow the boys to shoot them anywhere except into the target berm. The cheap Herter's FMJ ammo in .308 WCF proved quite accurate in multiple rifles, by the way.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty:

What caliber and weights?
I might have some laying around yet.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only caliber I use with the issue is the .223–I have plenty of .22-250 and .25-06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I had plenty of hogs run off with body shots from 5.56 FMJs. I didn't terribly care about it since my main goal was a dead hog, but it wasn't the most ethical thing to do. I haven't used an AR-15 on hogs in years, so it's no longer an issue. If you're wanting to recover the meat or aren't comfortable with a pig having a slightly slower death, it makes sense to avoid using FMJs for body shots.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Aim for the center of the shoulder blade with a bit of lead for a runner maybe? Seems reasonable to assume that a hog wouldn't go far with a shattered clavicle or two and then there is the spine running through there as well.

quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Given the current lack of hunting ammo for most calibers I have considered using FMJ ammo in my AR---hogs only Since the vast majority of my shots are head shots at still hogs, with a few runners when I encounter a sounder out in the open pasture Not worried about the head shots, just the runners where I can't be sure of a hit in the head.

Any thoughts?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5104 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that the stuff tumbles on impact (see the big bore thread) you can’t be too sure what it will do.

Since you have other rifles available with appropriate ammo, just use something else...

A good hard cast bullet is much preferable to military style FMJ.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've killed more than a couple animals with FMJs - some before i "knew better" some after - a well placed shot kills quickly, a badly placed one doesn't (i HATE the phrase "anchoring shot") - doesn't matter if it's an FMJ or a hollowpoint

as I know you, I am not concerned with greenhorn-type shots, blasting away at feet and tails.

one might discuss pulling the bullets and turning them around - but i don't have any idea if they would stay backwards --- try throwing a dart backwards... they always flip over in a couple feet.

one might discuss clipping the bullets, making them makeshift softpoints . i've done this .. generally in 8 mauser and 30-06 surplus ammo .. it's been a minute since this was cost effective

so, if we have to have a hard line, don't take running shots on uninjured game??

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about110-120 rounds on hand and that should last me 6 months so I will just wait for the return to some sort of normal. I can always just restrict my shots to hogs at lighted feeders using the .2-250 or .25-06 with regular scopes. Don’t like the idea of wounding though my last hunt I did shoot at a runner that only stumbled and kept on going.

UPDATE: Just scored 200 rounds of PMC soft point at a good price--$150. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
UPDATE: Just scored 200 rounds of PMC soft point at a good price--$150. dancing

Great find in these times!

I was in Wyoming a week ago and picked up 2 boxes of .303 British for $8/box. I was happy with that find. Also got a box of 10ga for $4. That is unheard of. There is some benefit to owning obscure calibers Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMJ's are perfect for hogs -- especially at feeders. When shot with FMJ's they run far enough away that you don't have to worry about dragging them off.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If using the 55gr FMJ and keeping the velocity above 2700fps at impact the bullet can fragment or can squirt the lead core out of the back and tumble.

There was a study done by a Doctor a few years back that published his findings on this.

I've never shot anything larger than prairie dogs with an FMJ so I don't have the first hand knowledge of it. But reading on other forums and guys posting pictures of successful hunts with the ammo I believe it would work.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Never had a need for a military FMJ in any hunting situation, but have used solids on DG. Since I use a variety of rifles and big bore pistols, I just grab some of what ammo is available and shoot them. My favorite way to hunt feral or wild boar is with chase dogs- good sport!

It never has taken much to kill a hog with rifle or pistol, even this 600 pound feral Duroc sow shot off hand with my .308 at about 50 yards - Bang and down.

If you want them to run away from an area such a feeder, just shoot them through the ribs, heart lung area, but break no more than rib bones; they can usually make it 40-50 yards before dropping dead.
I prefer not to use hollow points as they can break up and ruin good meat - cast or jacketed soft points are fine.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. Underkill for sure CR.
Looks barely dead.
Hah.

Posts: 5104 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 30 December 2020 09:25 Hide Post
Looks barely dead.
Hah.

Well, yeah. this big mama, Hogzilla, dropped at the .308 shot with a broken spine. Was then shot in head with .45 pistol. Then two men rolled it into front end loader on farm tractor for one mile ride to cleaning station. Then, the work began for the girl that did the rest of job which ended with quartered hog in two coolers with ice. Then, I dropped coolers off at game processors 5 miles from my home.

BTW, we had next to last pork loin from Hogzilla for 2020 Christmas dinner. It was best thin sliced with BBQ sauce - even made great sandwitchs. One loin left to go and we will smoke it with BBQ sauce this winter.

Time to go hog hunting again!!!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
A FMJ bullet will kill anything if the bullet is placed in the right place. I would be more concerned with ricochets. Years ago I ran a “battlefield procurement” course. Part of it was to reconstruct ammuntion using what was available. A lot of us that hunted took this training and applied it to producing hunting ammo. Just pulling the FMJ bullet and seating a similar weight hunting bullet was the simplest solution that worked well in most cases.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager, all I had was an M1 Garand and a bunch of FMJ G.I. ammo. I could not afford hunting ammo. I clipped off the tips of the G.I. ammo, just enough to expose a bit of the lead core. It worked well on many hundreds of feral hogs that I killed. I would say that the terminal effect was even better than s.p. hunting ammo as the jacket was more certain to blow up causing multiple wound channels. It also worked well on feral sheep and goats, including some feral cattle.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
We just just ate our last loin from the Tennessee hunt Sunday. Soaked it in Valentina's hot sauce and spices for 3 days at basement temperatures then browned it in bacon fat and finished it in the oven. It was too rainy to get some red oak going and smoke it (preferred). It was very tasty. Still have about a pound and a half of ground boar. Ready for another hunt.
Hope all is well.

quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:
posted 30 December 2020 09:25 Hide Post
Looks barely dead.
Hah.

Well, yeah. this big mama, Hogzilla, dropped at the .308 shot with a broken spine. Was then shot in head with .45 pistol. Then two men rolled it into front end loader on farm tractor for one mile ride to cleaning station. Then, the work began for the girl that did the rest of job which ended with quartered hog in two coolers with ice. Then, I dropped coolers off at game processors 5 miles from my home.

BTW, we had next to last pork loin from Hogzilla for 2020 Christmas dinner. It was best thin sliced with BBQ sauce - even made great sandwitchs. One loin left to go and we will smoke it with BBQ sauce this winter.

Time to go hog hunting again!!!