THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, that just takes the wind right out of me.
How incredibly sad.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
By now, most of us have had friends and family pass. Death is nothing new. Yet it always comes as such a shock when somebody who we know, if even only casually, dies.

Sad news indeed. Please be careful out there gentlemen.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
He spent a week at my house just this past January. I've hunted with him 5 times. He taught me more about hunting than anyone. I have argued and laughed with him since '99, and I hope to again someday.

You've ripped my heart out Dave, but I appreciate you posting it.

Is Robert alright (physically)?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Incredibly tragic news. Thoughts and prayers for his family especially, as well as the Chifuti team.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Ian's family are in my prayers. Tragic loss indeed.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, first thing I saw when launched AR. I too enjoyed watching Ian on TAA. Totally shocked.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayer for Ian's fsmily, and the entire Chifuti fsmily as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So very sad. We must never for a moment forget and become complacent. It is called Dangerous game for a reason. We had a herd of cows charge in Rifa and came out on top. It could have very easily gone the other way and damn fast too. A sad loss.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I met Mr. Gibson in 2005. Quite the character! I know he will be missed. God Bless to his family and may he reach the hunting grounds in heaven in fine form.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Condolences and prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Gibson.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad day for all those who love Africa.
My condolences to his family and friends far and wide. Always enjoyed watching him on Tracks although knowing I would never have the chance to hunt DG. RIP Sir.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. My condolences to his family,his friends and all those involved with Chifuti Safaris.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable loss to the hunting community!
Spent about 8 days in camp with Gibbo in the Chewore river camp and got to know and respect him. He could find trophies for his clients no mater what their limitations were and he produced for these clients before we moved on. I was told by several outstanding PH's that Gibber was the dean of big game hunters, especially in the Chewore North.

My sympathy and condolences to his family!

Dakota 45056

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Prayers for Gibbo's family. And may Gibbo rest in peace.

Chewore has claimed 3 good PH's I know of: 1) Alan Lowe 2) Owain Lewis and now 3) Ian Gibson... Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Damn.. All my prayers to Ian's family...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very very awful. I was near that area exactly two years ago. I can just imagine.
Prayers for his family.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian was one of "the good guys" for sure. May God Bless him and his family.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go well Gibbo - it was my great pleasure to have known you for so long and to have shared a love for the 'valley'.
It is said a man's life can best be judged by the number of people who turn up at his funeral. From all the posts I have just read with a very heavy heart its obvious that to so many, you were 'the man'!

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted that area on my first trip to Africa. I enjoyed watching Ian on TAA my condolences to his family

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for his loss and for his family and friends.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Tragic news. Condolences to his family and friends.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Condolences. I only knew him from the television shows, but he sure seemed like a jolly chap.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
At home;

Next time we meet I hope you know the hunting grounds as well as you knew Chewore.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
God speed Ian. At least he died doing what he loved.
Condolences to his kids.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devastating news. RIP Gibbo.

I ran into Gibbo barely 6 months ago as he was leaving Chewore at the end of a safari. We stopped on the road and had a chin wag with him.

He was indeed one of the good guys.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a total loss of words! Man among men, fellow PH and friend- Gibbo RIP. Huge thoughts for your 3 kids who you were SO rightfully proud of and who where such fun in camp and for Hillary also!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are no words to convey the sense of disbelief at the loss of one of our best. Deepest sympathy to all the family and colleagues at Chifuti Safaris.

Posts: 3 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed!

Strength to his family to rebuild from the loss.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear such tragic news and condolences to the family.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really tragic and sad news.

Condolences to friends and family.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly Sad and awful news.

Go Easy.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A MAN among men."

RIP Gibbo.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ian and his family. RIP!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Sad news, that is the unfortunate dangers of the profession we chose and love. RIP Ian, may you find soft green pastures to rest on.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard News!
Such a well respected Professional Hunter. Upon read of events I recalled him telling me " its not like on TV" those few words I've found to be very good advise. It is also why I love hunting Zim.
You think of all the special times he has shared with so many hunters. That's a damned good way to have spent ones life. Well Done Gibbo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibbo you were a legend and always will be. It was an honor to work alongside you al these years. You were my mentor and friend and will be sorely missed by us all. I will always cherish our times together and the many laughs we had over the years. If there is a golf course in heaven, I know you will be on it now playing.Our thoughts are with Hillary, Shay, Lee and Jason. RIP bwana

"A quote from author Stuart Cloete"
These are some of the hero's,the protagonists and, as each must have an end, each must also have a beginning. The beginning of one being sometimes the end of another. The trees die that the elephant may live, the elephant dies that the hunter may live, and God varying the pattern upon occasion,sometimes lets the man die terribly,so that the elephant may live. But always, in the end, He feeds the soil with the blood of the leviathan so that the grass and trees of the forests obtain again the sustenance that was reft from them by the elephant while it lived. And always, endlessly, life renews itself from death equally from the death of an elephant that has lived a hundred years or a butterfly that has lived a day.

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chifuti family has sure been hit hard of late.
RIP Ian.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Global_Rescue
posted Hide Post
We are very sorry to hear of this terrible news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ian, his family and all of those at Chifuti Safaris and Safari Classics.

One of Us
Picture of NorthernOperationsAfrica
posted Hide Post
What a sad loss to the Hunting Fraternity. He will be sorely missed but fondly remembered.
Our team would like to send our condolences to his Family and friends.

Famba Zvakanaka Shamwari.

The Classic Spiral-Horned Collectors.

www.northernoperationsafrica.com

One of Us
Picture of eriknyman
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Him and his family will be in my thoughts.

Posts: 33 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 08 July 2012Reply With Quote