New
Find
Notify
Tools

Candy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read where many of you carry candy with you in the bush for yourself and others.

May sound simple, but what kind of candy?

Sprig.

Only five more weeks till Zambia!!

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I take hard candy. It's individually wrapped for cleanliness, won't melt (at least most won't). It will keep your mouth moist and give a little "pick up" if needed. The trackers/skinner, etc. will appreciate it also.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I take hard candy, the guys and the PH in ZIM really liked cinnamon candy. Go to Walmart, they have really big bags of different kinds of hard candy. Taffy like candy would probably also be good. As JudgeG says, get the stuff that is individually wrapped.

We were also going to buy some more candy at the duty free shop in the Jo'burg airport on our way to ZIM, but they didn't have any hard candy, mostly chocolates. They do have some locally made nougat candy (in several flavors) at the duty free, man is it good. My wife always buys some to take to camp and then buys more on the way home. The nougat is kind of expensive. We did give a few pieces to the trackers and they didn't know what to do with it. The PH had to tell them that it was candy.

We bought two huge bags of hard candy in Arusha. We handed out candy to all the Masai boys who were herding their cattle and goats and stopped by a few Masai villages and gave some to the little girls.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Put the candy in Ziplock bags before you leave and take several smaller Ziplock bags to use for the trackers' daily ration.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I remember the first time I gave a tracker some bubble gum.He was as greatfull as one could be.You would have thought I bought him a house.Next day when I offered him some more he showed me that he still had 3/4 left from the day before.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Jolly Ranchers and peppermints. Haven't had any complaints whatsoever!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought a box of mint sticks, each about the size of a cigar, everybody loved them. It sure made the kids a mess though!

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Worthers Original and have had no complaints from anyone. I have taken mixed bags of hard candy and gum. I don't think you will get any complaints over there about the candies passed out - that only happens with our own spoiled natives. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we always being about 8#'s of hard candy for the kids. The PH's sure do love a snickers bar or 2, also hot chocolate mix goes over real well

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red Hot Fireballs, the first time I gave one to our tracker the tears ran down everyones cheeks. Later I caught him taking them out of the bag of candy I gave to another helper, PH said he told the other guy they were not good for him.
Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
There is no way I am posting on this thead. Eeker Roll Eyes

Oops. Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a great time at the supermarket buying hard candy for our African trips.

I buy several bags of different types of hard candy - the more sour they are, the better.

I then open all the bags, and mix the lot together, with lots of chewing gum.

Then I put them in ziplock bags.

I normally take a large camera bag with me in the truck, ni which I keep one of my cameras, spare ammo, insect repellent, wet wipes and a bag of candy.

As we leave the truck, I put a large handful of these candy in my pockets.

While walking in the bush, I normally pass one to each person there every hour or so, and every one loves them.

I've had some members of our hunting party come running to me from behind, and tap me on the shoulder, whispering "can I have one of them candys?"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only does everyone else appreciate the hard candy, it helps keep you mouth moist when you are stalking. Nothing better than a poorly timed cough to spoil a stalk.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now man this is a sweet string, eh. This is what this site is all about, sharing good information. Ya just got to love it eh, NitroX.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We once took along some small bags of "Skittles", which in case you've never had any are little fruit flavored, hard shelled candies about the size of an M&M, about a quarter inch, or several millimeters, in diameter, and gave them out to our trackers.

You know how you'd just normally grab a small handful of these kind of things and toss them into your mouth almost without thinking about it?

The trackers would not do that. They viewed them as such an extraordinary treat that they ate them one at a time over a period of several days. Made me realize how awfully spoiled I was.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We also took 1 gallon bags of hard candy when we went to Zim in 2003. The mistake we made on the first day was to let them help themselves to the candy. In 10 seconds the whole bag was gone. Do like Saeed suggests, had them out yourself every hour or so.

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Now man this is a sweet string, eh. This is what this site is all about, sharing good information. Ya just got to love it eh, NitroX.

Ha ha.

I'm not going to discuss carrying "boiled lollies" in my pocket for children on AR. Eeker

Enough said!

(PS This is a joke!)

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last trip I took two bags of Tootsie Roll Pops. Gave one to each staff on the way back to camp every day. PH loved them too.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Last trip I took two bags of Tootsie Roll Pops. Gave one to each staff on the way back to camp every day. PH loved them too.

Award winning "Necropost". Big Grin

Revived a 2005 thread.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by drj:

Award winning "Necropost". Big Grin

Revived a 2005 thread.

LOL. I have been taking Jolly Ranchers for years now. I think if I showed up without them, I might be sent home.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry Werthurs but my wife brings individually wrapped gummy bears. All the men in the truck including the PH favor the gummy bears. We always have plenty for the children we pass in villages. We passed the same village everyday leaving camp and everyday there were more kids waiting for us. One day we caught the driver trying to take another route. He didn't want to run out of gummy bears for the truck. Great fun!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to take Paydays and they never melt. No one had ever had one or anything like it. Even Richie Schultz loved them. Brought him a big one at DSC and we got a good laugh over it. Jolly Rancher cinnamon and gum. If cash is considered "candy" then it wins hands down.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bullsprig - I brought hard candies on my Zambia hunting trip and they were enjoyed by all, even the tough PH had some on occasion. I would bring a variety of flavors for all and certainly are a great way to introduce conversation to the crew while looking for game. If nothing else, they are a welcomed relief to a dry throat in a hot and dusty environment.

Congrats to you and your Zambian Safari... can't wait for your report!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jolly Ranchers and Worthers---always

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was amazed at the enthusiasm of Pierre's trackers, Steve and Farunga when I offered them gum.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Buzz has told me that if I ever bring bubble gum again I will be in for a long, long walk uphill. Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you guy6s like to have some fun, buy some trick candy and gum!

A few years ago, I was given an assortment of these.

Some had chilies, some had soap, and some had all sort of unpalatable stuff in them.

None went to waste, and the surprising thing no one spit them out! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I brought a bag of fruit flavored lifesavers. Trackers loved them and I would hand them out after stalks, during breaks, end of the day, etc. One thing I did learn, be careful handing them out around villages, kids will just magically appear out of nowhere and can quickly deplete your stash.

Not saying I would condone it, but based upon the amount of trackers that smoked (and they all rolled their own), cigarettes wouldn't be too bad of a perk at the end of the day either. A box of them is cheap too in Africa.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Jolly Ranchers and Worthers---always

+1

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Jolly Ranchers all the way.

Our PH started calling them 'malaria pills.'

They were too polite to ask for them but one long sfternoon, onevof the trackers whispred to me he had been bitten by a mozzy and needed a malaria pill quickly!

Good fun.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When going on your safari why go to the trouble of buying candy back home and using up your baggage space and weight when you can buy all the candy in the world at destination?

If you have a sweet tooth of your own then I could possibly understand packing your favorites that might not be available beyond your coastline.

The village waifs are more than thrilled for handouts of plain boiled sweets that one can purchase by the bag or kilo (oops, by the pound) for a pittance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are not allowed to arrive in my camps without a bag of Jolly Ranchers!

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I took Candy to the bush and all she did was sleep in.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I took Candy to the bush and all she did was sleep in...........after a hard day's night!
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
American Smarties -- Halloween size M&M's. Chocolate all the way (but I've only hunted RSA).

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I took Candy to the bush and all she did was sleep in.

More than likely your fault for not letting her sleep wh.... Roll Eyes

One client brought along some sweets that had little things that made quite audible pops after awhile in the mouth. My tracker looked like a jackal trying to get rid of an exploding hairball. Made the same noise too? Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jolly Ranchers and Werthers.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take the large individually wrapped life savers.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Candy you say...

the individually wrapped candy is good to a point...where do the wrappers go...all over the ground and they do not break down easily.

I have seen the wrappers in Tanzania and Zimbabwe not to mention South Africa.

What i have found is on stalks and walks you become the trash clean up for wrappers, bottles and tops along with what else is dropped.

What i take along and have found that it is enjoyed is;

1. Soft candy ~ cinnamon bears - orange slices - cherry slices. We have found places where they have never had this before.

2. I purchase rock candy in about 10 different variety's and re-bag in z-lock bags.

3. Beef & Salmon jerky a bag for each day ~ different kinds

4. Gum ~ different flavors again a pack for each day of the safari.

At the end of each safari i have a bag of rock candy for each worker in a gift box.

Candy bars went only so far, so i have dropped that from my list of take a longs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to take all sorts of stuff. Now I just take cash. It's very portable and extremely well received plus there are no wrappers to be thrown on the ground.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question. Has anyone run into problems traveling through airports or borders to there African hunting destinations with food products like candy?

WC375

Posts: 31 | Location: kirkj@earthlink.net | Registered: 15 August 2009Reply With Quote